Ya can dress her up but why would they let her out?

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 07:53 pm
What hypocrisy?

Quote:

RNC appears to shell out $150K for Palin fashion
By JEANNE CUMMINGS | 10/21/08 7:47 PM EDT

The Republican National Committee appears to have spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.

According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August.

Politico asked the McCain campaign for comment, explicitly noting the $150,000 in expenses for department store shopping and makeup consultation that were incurred immediately after Palin’s announcement. Pre-September reports do not include similar costs.

Spokeswoman Maria Comella declined to answer specific questions about the expenditures, including whether it was necessary to spend that much and whether it amounted to one early investment in Palin or if shopping for the vice presidential nominee was ongoing.

“The campaign does not comment on strategic decisions regarding how financial resources available to the campaign are spent," she said.

The business of primping and dressing on the campaign trail has become fraught with political risk in recent years as voters increasingly see an elite Washington out of touch with their values and lifestyles.

In 2000, Democrat Al Gore took heat for changing his clothing hues. And in 2006, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) was ribbed for two hair styling sessions that cost about $3,000.

Then, there was Democrat John Edwards’ $400 hair cuts in 2007 and Republican McCain’s $520 black leather Ferragamo shoes this year.

A review of similar records for the campaign of Democrat Barack Obama and the Democratic National Committee turned up no similar spending.

But all the spending by other candidates pales in comparison to the GOP outlay for the Alaska governor whose expensive, designer outfits have been the topic of fashion pages and magazines.

What hasn’t been apparent is where the clothes came from " her closet back in Wasilla or from the campaign coffers in Washington.

The answer can be found inside the RNC’s September monthly financial disclosure report under “itemized coordinated expenditures.”

It’s a report that typically records expenses for direct mail, telephone calls and advertising. Those expenses do show up, but the report also has a new category of spending: “campaign accessories.”

September payments were also made to Barney’s New York ($789.72) and Bloomingdale’s New York ($5,102.71).

Macy’s in Minneapolis, another store fortunate enough to be situated in the Twin Cities that hosted last summer’s Republican National Convention, received three separate payments totaling $9,447.71.

The entries also show a few purchases at Pacifier, a top notch baby store, and Steiniauf & Stroller Inc., suggesting $295 was spent to accommodate the littlest Palin to join the campaign trail.

An additional $4,902.45 was spent at Atelier, a high-class shopping destination for men.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 4,333 • Replies: 64
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 08:04 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
What hasn’t been apparent is where the clothes came from...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/19dumpster8.jpg
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 08:07 pm
Well, polls tell us that they shouldn't have let her out. The McCain team should have been spent some money on a Sarahmobile, where voters could only view the beauty but not hear her speak.

Quote:

Palin's Qualifications Now Top Concern Over McCain Candidacy

Marcus Baram

Two polls released Tuesday provide striking evidence of Palin's transformation over the course of two months from GOP energy boost to major drawback, as the Alaska governor's rising unfavorability ratings have become a critical vulnerability for the McCain campaign.

Palin's qualifications to be president now rank as voters' top concern about John McCain's candidacy - "ahead of continuing President Bush's policies, enacting economic policies that only benefit the rich and keeping too high of a troop presence in Iraq," according to a new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.

Fifty-five percent of respondents now say Palin is not qualified to serve as president, a five-point jump from the previous NBC/WSJ survey.

In addition, for the first time, more voters have a negative opinion of her than a positive one. In the survey, 47 percent view her negatively, versus 38 percent who see her in a positive light.

That's a striking shift since McCain chose Palin as his running mate in early September, when she held a 47 to 27 percent positive rating.

According to another poll by Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, opinions of Palin have flipped in the last month, especially among the female voters she was expected to attract to the McCain ticket.

Nearly half -- 49% -- of voters have an unfavorable opinion of her while 44% have a favorable view. A month ago, "favorable opinions of Palin outnumbered negative ones by 54% to 32%."

Women, especially women under age 50, have become increasingly critical of Palin: 60% now express an unfavorable view of Palin, up from 36% in mid-September. Notably, opinions of Palin have a greater impact on voting intentions than do opinions of Joe Biden, Obama's running mate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/21/the-palin-effect-from-bad_n_136711.html

Full poll results available from links at the above URL.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 08:13 pm
@Reyn,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 08:18 pm
I think that this woman will rue the day she decided to foist herself on the America public.

Quote:
AP INVESTIGATION: Alaska funded Palin kids' travel

By BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE, ADAM GOLDMAN and MATT APUZZO

ANCHORAGE, Alaska " Gov. Sarah Palin charged the state for her children to travel with her, including to events where they were not invited, and later amended expense reports to specify that they were on official business.

The charges included costs for hotel and commercial flights for three daughters to join Palin to watch their father in a snowmobile race, and a trip to New York, where the governor attended a five-hour conference and stayed with 17-year-old Bristol for five days and four nights in a luxury hotel.

In all, Palin has charged the state $21,012 for her three daughters' 64 one-way and 12 round-trip commercial flights since she took office in December 2006. In some other cases, she has charged the state for hotel rooms for the girls.

Alaska law does not specifically address expenses for a governor's children. The law allows for payment of expenses for anyone conducting official state business.

As governor, Palin justified having the state pay for the travel of her daughters " Bristol, 17; Willow, 14; and Piper, 7 " by noting on travel forms that the girls had been invited to attend or participate in events on the governor's schedule.

But some organizers of these events said they were surprised when the Palin children showed up uninvited, or said they agreed to a request by the governor to allow the children to attend.

On Aug. 6, three weeks before Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain chose Palin his running mate, and after Alaska reporters asked for the records, Palin ordered changes to previously filed expense reports for her daughters' travel.

In the amended reports, Palin added phrases such as "First Family attending" and "First Family invited" to explain the girls' attendance.

"The governor said, 'I want the purpose and the reason for this travel to be clear,'" said Linda Perez, state director of administrative services.

When Palin released her family's tax records as part of her vice presidential campaign, some tax experts questioned why she did not report the children's state travel reimbursements as income.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_el_pr/palin_family_travel

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:21 am
@JTT,
Quote:
I think that this woman will rue the day she decided to foist herself on the America public.

Nah, she's made of Teflon. From what comes out of this woman's mouth gives me an indication she has no sense of shame whatsoever. I'm sure she's got a book deal in the works and a few other money-making opportunities from this.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:28 am
I think that Palin really did something great: the Republican party only bought the clothing for charitable purpose.
squinney

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:49 am
I had wondered a few times over the last month where her clothing came from. I don't pick up fashion magazines or follow any of that, but it kept crossing my mind (basically because I didn't care at all for the broad brown / black stripe suit). I also wondered about it because I figured as Governor she'd have a decent wardrobe, but wondered what any other nobody would do if suddenly picked for VP. I know my wardrobe wouldn't stand up to that exposure.

I guess it comes down to whether or not the donors to the campaign have a problem with it. It was their money. having donated to Edwards and Hillary, I wouldn't have wanted to think I skipped numerous haircuts so they could get one.
Miller

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The amount of money that Gov Palin spent on clothes for herself and her kids is really very little when one considers that high fashion clothes, worn in DC and NYCity are very expensive. A decent ballgown can easily go for >$10,000 and of course highend shoes can go for over $5000. Then of course we have the accessories watches , earings, necklace ( diamond or pearl) etc....easily over $50,000 ( if you want to look fashionable in DC ).

By the way, did you notice from Harpers and Vogue that Michelle Obama doesn't shop at Sears? She spends as much if not more on clothes for herself and kids than does Gov Palin.

Michelle still keeps her mother living in the slums of Chicago however. While Gov Palin's folks have a lovely, upscale home in Alaska.

Then of course we have the issue of Obama's brother, George, who lives in a box. How much, do you suppose, George spends on clothes?

Do you really think that Michelle Obama buys her kids their clothes at a Hyde Park Salvation Army store?
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:59 am
@Miller,
I think the point being made here Miller is that the RNC paid for the clothes as opposed to Palin paying for them herself.
Miller

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:00 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

I had wondered a few times over the last month where her clothing came from. I don't pick up fashion magazines or follow any of that...

I have, and Michelle Obama has been covered quite frequently in these magazines. It was also pointed out that Michelle Obama tends to keep her expensive clothes buried well inside her closet, hidden from the general public.

When meeting with the average Joes, Michelle Obama is a plain dresser.

I have no respect for Michelle.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:01 am
@CoastalRat,
and the real point is that no matter how much they spend on Palin......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/turd-polish.jpg
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:02 am
@Miller,
what is an upscale home in alaska? stick ups in the privies?
Miller

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:03 am
@Miller,
Women's high end fashions do vary from one part of the Country to another.
I notice that difference very frequently when I compared Chicago with New York. Chicago lags well behind LA and NY when it comes to fashion.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:07 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

what is an upscale home in alaska? stick ups in the privies?

Visit Michelle Obama's mother's home On the SouthSide of Chicago, where you're considered to be an aristocrate if you don't have bars or boards on your windows. Robinson has her windows boarded up so her "neighborhors don't climb through the windows and rob and rape her.

Palin's folk's home , if we use Boston area real estate values, could easily go for $750,000-$1 million if it were for sell in Lexington, Ma or elsewhere in Massachusetts.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:11 am
@Miller,
yeah and my dick is a behemoth if you use third grader values.....
sozobe

@Miller,
Who pays for Michelle Obama's clothes, though?

I think the issue is less about the quality/ expense of the clothes themselves than how they were paid for.

Marc Ambinder wonders if it was illegal:

Quote:
A Legal Issue With Palin Couture?
An election lawyer will be able to help answer this, but can a candidate use campaign or party coordinated expenditures for clothing?

See 2 USC 439b(2)(B)

Quote:
(a) Permitted uses
A contribution accepted by a candidate, and any other donation received by an individual as support for activities of the individual as a holder of Federal office, may be used by the candidate or individual--
(1) for otherwise authorized expenditures in connection with the campaign for Federal office of the candidate or individual;
(2) for ordinary and necessary expenses incurred in connection with duties of the individual as a holder of Federal office;
(3) for contributions to an organization described in section 170 (c) of title26;
(4) for transfers, without limitation, to a national, State, or local committee of a political party;
(5) for donations to State and local candidates subject to the provisions of State law; or
(6) for any other lawful purpose unless prohibited by subsection (b) of this section.
(b) Prohibited use
(1) In general
A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) of this section shall not be converted by any person to personal use.
(2) Conversion
For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--
(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;
(B) a clothing purchase;
(C) a noncampaign-related automobile expense;
(D) a country club membership;
(E) a vacation or other noncampaign-related trip;
(F) a household food item;
(G) a tuition payment;
(H) admission to a sporting event, concert, theater, or other form of entertainment not associated with an election campaign; and
(I) dues, fees, and other payments to a health club or recreational facility.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/a_legal_issue_with_palin_coutu.php
Emphases in original.
Miller

@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff Hanger wrote:

From what comes out of this woman's mouth gives me an indication she has no sense of shame whatsoever.

You must be talking about shameless Hillary Clinton...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:13 am
@Miller,
Are coming out of Michelle's closet, Miller? How would you know what's in there?

(And, who cares as long as she is paying for them herself?)
Miller

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:13 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

my dick is a behemoth

Good for you. It's important to have one thing in your life that you're proud of.
For some it could be a Nobel Prize, and for others ...