Biden Thinks Electing Obama Will Directly Lead to an International Crisis Within 6 Months.

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 02:58 pm
You really have to love Joe Biden.

I believe him. Afterall, he's a Foreign Policy Expert; he should know.

This should help get the levers pulled for his boss.

"I'm voting for Obama because I want an internation crisis six months from when he takes office!"

Let's see if the MSM can ignore this gaffe.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/20/biden-predicts-early-crisis-will-test-obama/

Quote:
"Mark my words," the Democratic vice presidential nominee warned at the second of his two Seattle fundraisers Sunday. "It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

"I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate," Biden said to Emerald City supporters, mentioning the Middle East and Russia as possibilities. "And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you--not financially to help him--we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,498 • Replies: 45

roger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, that's probably true of all new presidents. The others just aren't talking about it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, Your attempts at causing fear of a Obama presidency is only laughable.

Who do you think Obama will have as his advisers? CLUE: It won't be Palin.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I read that this morning and it validates what I've been thinking and saying... the economic crisis in this country will stay bad until Obama has been tested in a crisis... and then we'll see which direction we go in depending on his handling of it.

McCain will be tested if he wins as well (tee-hee) but not to th extent of Obama because he and his dog are a known entity.... more bush madness.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:21 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
BPB, Don't get your hopes up too high; there is nobody on this planet that will have the best solution for the current financial crisis. When the country is in debt to the tune of nine trillion dollars, and most consumers don't have much savings, that's a handicap no president can overcome in short order.

All they can do for now is to blow out the fire of liquidity, and loosen credits for those with good credit ratings. That's the only solution, but it will be a long-term solution.

I just received an offer by WAMU to borrow up to $8,000 at 1.9% interest, but we don't need the money.
hamburger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS

it looks like the "crisis" is not waiting for a new president when it comes to unemployment :

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Quote:
Over the past
12 months, the number of unemployed persons has increased by 2.2 mil-
lion and the unemployment rate has risen by 1.4 percentage points.

my guess is that not many of the newly unemploed will be eligible for "bonus" payments like those being paid to wallstreeters .
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:36 pm
@roger,
Quote:
The others just aren't talking about it.

And with good reason.

I have no idea what Biden was thinking of when he made this comment, and I doubt he did either.

In any case, I doubt that Obama and McCain represent the same target for international provocation. It doesn't mean a President McCain wouldn't have to face, eventually, an international crisis, but it's unlikely that there are two many people out there who are very doubtful as to how he will respond to what he believes is a threat to national security.

It's up to the individual voter to weigh these considerations.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:48 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Interesting, although I don't agree.

Confidence has been a significant factor in the short-term ills of the current economy, but it is already fading in terms of its impact.

Assuming Obama wins, by the time he takes office the economy will be suffering from more fundamental problems than confidence, and Obama standing up to international provocation isn't going to create jobs or stimulate investment.

On the other hand, a foreign policy mistake could slow the economy's recovery or make things worse. Anything that results in a major disruption of oil production will do far more to the economy than catching Bin Laden.

As the ancient Chinese curse goes, "May you live in interesting times."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Based on "we must consider this possibility," I'd pick Obama over McCain any time 24/7. Why, you ask? Because Obama is more stable, and able to listen to expert advisers before he decides on any decision. Obama doesn't talk about "we will win in Iraq," without providing solutions for "winning." McCain only provides sweeping goals without providing any solutions.

The majority of Americans want out of Iraq; we are in a financial crisis, and we can't afford to spend more of our treasure when Iraq has $80 billion in their reserves. That's just plain wrong-headed.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:51 pm
@hamburger,
But that isn't the crisis Biden warned of, is it? Since it has nothing to do with foreign policy or national security, perhaps it is better left to another thread.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 04:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree that there is no quick fix.... but Obamas handling of his first major crisis will instill confidence or send people to the shelters....and then IMO we need a president that can give people a reality check and make them accept it and act on it if not feel good about it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 04:46 pm
Besides McCains entire campaign is built upon lies and deceit. Hes gonna make instant credit and mortgage loans available to those who need it without any discussion of where this money is coming from.

He had no part of the bailout discussions even though he gave some wacko appearance and some shithead stance that hed suspend his campaign, only to be mustered aside while the real workers made it happen. D'oh

Hes getting more and more irascible. Isnt tht a symptom of early onset Alzheimers? (maybe not so early onset for him)

His quote mining about Obama and spreading the wealth was so much a lie that it got Fact Checks "pants on Fire" award.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 04:47 pm
You guys are missing the point altogether. Biden has just guaranteed that the inexperience of Obama will invite an international crisis...and if McCain were elected, that would not happen. This plays right into the hands of Republicans who long have been arguing about Obama's experience and here you have the VP candidate conceding that electing Obama is dangerous.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 04:54 pm
@slkshock7,
not what I said... I said it was more likely for Obama to be tested out of the box because he is not as known a quantity as Mccain...but any president will be sorely tested merely by inheiriting the cesspool bush leaves behind....and the way this mess is handled even if there is no new crisis will set the tone for the rest of the presidents term IMO.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:09 pm
@slkshock7,
Precisely.

But don't worry - Biden's comments will not get much airplay and when they are used by Republicans, folks like farmerman will declare that they were taken out of context by the lying McCain people.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think McCain/Palin have poisoned themselves so badly...and bush had already poisoned the party to the edge of the grave anyway... that there's not much the Mccain campaign can do except plan for life after Nov....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:49 pm
things could go south in a hurry after election day, they did during the last depression
Quote:
In the fall of 1932, the country was beginning to experience faint signs of recovery. But the election and the transition seemed to stop it in its tracks. Herbert Hoover lacked the standing to rally the country. Roosevelt wanted no part of his predecessor's legacy and stood apart. From November to March, when Roosevelt was finally sworn in, the country entered a period of drift and demoralization. By the time Roosevelt took office, he faced a full-blown crisis.

Whether things would have been different by Inauguration Day and beyond had Roosevelt cooperated with Hoover is not knowable. But Obama or McCain will be faced with a similar decision about how to approach the transition. With President Bush's approval at 25 percent and the country hungry for change, will either Obama or McCain seek a collaboration on decision-making with the White House? And with the economy teetering, can either afford to stand on the sidelines until January?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/18/AR2008101801882.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
This is not like the 1929 depression. Not only does the economies of the 1929's differ from current economies, but there are more sophisticated financial people to prevent a depression of the 1930s.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
that is debatable, but besides the point. The point is that a vacuum in political leadership during the transition would have a negative effect on the economy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 06:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's your opinion; mine is that we will survive this financial crisis, but it will take much longer than most people realize to stabilize our economy.

I agree, it's debatable, but that is the point. The world has had vacuums in leadership in many developed countries, and most, if not all, survived.

Your assumption that our's will have a "negative effect" is only your guess. You really cannot determine that from what information is available to economists who study these events.