reported speech

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:57 pm
"My birthday fell on last Friday," said Jack.
If the above is reported, which verb should I use?

Jack said that his birthday fell/had fallen on the previous Friday.

I think I should use 'fell'. Am I correct?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 808 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:02 pm
@tanguatlay,
My birthday was last Friday.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 01:11 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:

Yes. The past perfect, "had fallen," would be appropriate if you wanted to indicate that one event happened before another event. In your sentence, there's only one event so there's no reason to use the past perfect.
contrex

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 05:23 am
@Shapeless,
In his reported speech, there are two events. Most recently, Jack saying something, and before that, his birthday.

Jack said that his birthday had fallen on the previous Friday.
Shapeless

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:49 am
@contrex,
Jack said is the phrase that announces that events are about to be reported and needn't be chronologically positioned against the events that are actually reported. Using the past perfect here would imply that Jack's birthday once fell on last Friday but no longer does.
contrex

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 02:07 pm
@Shapeless,
Sorry, Shapeless, but that's the way I was taught in English class, here in England.
Shapeless

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 02:50 pm
@contrex,
Discrepancies happen. I can't remember how it was taught to me in school (in the U.S.), but it seems to me that in reported speech the actual act of reporting is understood to exist on a different chronological line from the events that are being reported, making the past perfect unnecessary if there is only one reported event. I know of no specific rule stating this; it's just my intuition, which is always fallible.
JTT

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 02:52 pm
@Shapeless,
Quote:
Contrex:
In his reported speech, there are two events. Most recently, Jack saying something, and before that, his birthday.

Jack said that his birthday had fallen on the previous Friday.

Shapeless is right when he/she says there are not two events. Reported speech makes use of backshifted tense FORMs. It does not, [once again], have anything to do with a past tense, it is merely a PAST TENSE FORM to indicate that the speech is not a direct quotation.

Quote:
Tanguatlay:

"My birthday fell on last Friday," said Jack.

This sounds slightly odd to me. Is it the choice of the verb "fall on" in this specific situation?

If the above is reported, which verb should I use?

Jack said that his birthday fell/had fallen on the previous Friday.

You could/can use either, Tanguatlay. It's reported speech so we have quite a bit of flexibility. CI's reply was also a very natural response.

Quote:
Shapeless:

Using the past perfect here would imply that Jack's birthday once fell on last Friday but no longer does.

It wouldn't and it couldn't hold that meaning in this situation, Shapeless because this is a reported speech situation and the backshifting that occurs with reported speech has nothing to do with actual change of tenses which we normally use to discuss past events.

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 03:17 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Is it the choice of the verb "fall on" in this specific situation?

"My birthday was last week: it fell on a Friday this year." is better. Christmas falls on a Thursday this year.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 03:26 pm
@Shapeless,
Quote:

making the past perfect unnecessary if there is only one reported event

Does "unnecessary" = inappropriate or rong ?
JTT

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Does "unnecessary" = inappropriate ... ?

Possibly, inappropriate for certain contexts.
0 Replies