Transgender Children: A Boy's Life

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:35 pm
A Boy's Life

Quote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/images/issues/200811/200/transgender-1.jpgSince he could speak, Brandon, now 8, has insisted that he was meant to be a girl. This summer, his parents decided to let him grow up as one. His case, and a rising number of others like it, illuminates a heated scientific debate about the nature of gender"and raises troubling questions about whether the limits of child indulgence have stretched too far.

Around the world, clinics that specialize in gender-identity disorder in children report an explosion in referrals over the past few years. Dr. Kenneth Zucker, who runs the most comprehensive gender-identity clinic for youth in Toronto, has seen his waiting list quadruple in the past four years, to about 80 kids"an increase he attributes to media coverage and the proliferation of new sites on the Internet. Dr. Peggy Cohen-Kettenis, who runs the main clinic in the Netherlands, has seen the average age of her patients plummet since 2002. “We used to get calls mostly from parents who were concerned about their children being gay,” says Catherine Tuerk, who since 1998 has run a support network for parents of children with gender-variant behavior, out of Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. “Now about 90 percent of our calls are from parents with some concern that their child may be transgender.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 5,909 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm glad he's got open-minded parents. I do hope he doesn't have a hard time of it in school.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'd support that from my own experience.

And kids DO know they can have operations and so forth...that is, they've seen media stuff about it.

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:19 pm
@dlowan,
I read that article, it was fascinating.

One thing that gave me pause was how many of those boys who wanted to be girls ended up as (content, one gathers) gay men.

Definitely appreciated how Rosin (I think that was the author, Hannah Rosin) portrayed the complexity. No clear/ easy answers. Very glad it's not something I have to deal with as a parent.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:23 pm
@dlowan,
I'd agree with this:

"Green expected most of the boys in the study to end up as transsexuals, but nothing like that happened. Three-fourths of the 44 boys turned out to be gay or bisexual (Green says a few more have since contacted him and told him they too were gay). Only one became a transsexual. “We can’t tell a pre-gay from a pre-transsexual at 8,” says Green, who recently retired from running the adult gender-identity clinic in England. “Are you helping or hurting a kid by allowing them to live as the other gender? If everyone is caught up in facilitating the thing, then there may be a hell of a lot of pressure to remain that way, regardless of how strongly the kid still feels gender-dysphoric. Who knows? That’s a study that hasn’t found its investigator yet.”"

And, I think there's a group of kids for whom this IS a passing phase.

It's gonna be hard to find the balance between respecting who a kid IS, and what appears to be a burgeoning transgender kid movement, complete with a drug that is going to make the need to make some sort of decision a lot more pressing.

Certainly, in my experience, parents and schools are a lot more accepting...and even other kids.....at least until puberty.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:28 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah....movements like the one described...especially in the US...give me the heebie jeebies, since they tend to spread their influence all over the world.

We're waiting for the childhood bi-polar cult to spread here.

That being said, these kids and parents need acceptance and valuing....I'm just worried this thing'll go over the top into a fashionable thing, with heavy politicisation, and hasty labelling.

One of the things that interested me was that Brandon toned down his bathers choice once he knew he could have whatever he liked.

One of the things that kind of stuns me with a lot of the kids I've seen is that they go for an extreme 'female" look...like little drag queens.

You know...wanting to wear tutus and ballet slippers to school (like, what GIRLS do that?) and gyrating in their spangles like burlesque dancers.

Perhaps an effect of full acceptance is to modulate the rather manic aspects of how they express their preceived femaleness?
sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:29 pm
@dlowan,
Yep, exactly.

And in your post after mine you put your finger on exactly the part that gave me pause.
Joeblow

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That was a long article but well worth the time.

What a difficult decision to be faced with.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:36 pm
humans are deemed to be not competent to practice sex till 17 years or so, but very young children are competent to decide that God made them the wrong sex?? See any lack of consistency here?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

humans are deemed to be not competent to practice sex till 17 years or so, but very young children are competent to decide that God made them the wrong sex?? See any lack of consistency here?
you seem to be equating gender identification with practicing sex. I find that a bit odd.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:44 pm
@sozobe,
Hmmmm...reading the Zucker bits.

A lot of the kids I have seen like that had extremely abusive fathers.....and we've often explored that, and what their ideas about manhood are..ie whether they see being male as meaning they will be violent and abusive.

Often opening up the idea to them that males are not always like that, and that THEY have no need to be like that, and getting them exploring what kind of man they want to be, and looking at all the great men in their lives (it's sad when there aren't any, but we try to find a teacher or something) makes a huge difference.

I'm very worried about the haste being advocated by some in that article, and the lack of exploration and keeping things flexible.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:49 pm
@dyslexia,
No, this is about at what age the society allows individuals to practice self termination. I maintain that being sexual should demand a lower threshold of competence born of life experience than changing out of your biological gender. Children should be compelled to be the sex they were assigned until they reach the age of majority, and probably longer. If they really hate it they can do something about it during their twenties. I see no good to come from pandering to the desires of the unformed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
You mean self-determination don't you? LOL
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

A VERY Freudian slip????
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:47 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
A VERY Freudian slip????

I don't get it.

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 05:16 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

A VERY Freudian slip????
suicide is painless but only if done right.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 05:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
A VERY Freudian slip????

I don't get it.

So true.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:21 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
A VERY Freudian slip????

Did Freud wear a slip?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:22 pm
@JTT,
No, but isn't this thread about this boy who wants to?
0 Replies

Marky1991

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 06:32 pm
@jespah,
This **** is a ******* joke come on who ever heard of god hisself making a mistake give me a ******* break
0 Replies