correct usage of words

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:09 am
Please kindly take off/remove your shoes.

1. Can 'please' be used with 'kindly'?

2. Should it be 'take off'' or 'remove'?

Many thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 835 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:40 am
@tanguatlay,
Please take/remove off your shoes-- or
Kindly take off your shoes

When you put please with kindly it's as if you ar asking the person to remove their shoes in a kind way. Using take off or remove is okay either way.

My preference would be to say: Please take off/remove your shoes instead of saying Kindly. using kindly sounds more like a demand rather than a request.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:35 am
@tanguatlay,
Your title should read "correct use of words". "Usage" has a special meaning in English language study.

What is the difference between ‘use’ and usage’? Both come from the same Latin word usus (noun), which in turn is from the verb uti - to use. So how do they differ?

The difference is subtle but useful.

The noun ‘use’ comes from the verb ‘use’, meaning to employ for a given purpose or put into action, and larger dictionaries will list many variations and adaptations of that basic meaning. Examples are: ‘I use a keyboard to type in these words’ ‘I use a knife and fork to eat my dinner’, ‘I use short words in speaking with small children, because they probably won’t understand long words’. So the noun ‘use’ (with the ’s’ as in ‘goose’, not, as for the verb, as in ‘cruise’) means a given purpose or application. Examples would be: ‘The English language is in common use around the world’ , ‘I put my keyboard to good use’.

For the noun ‘usage’ the basic dictionary definition can look pretty much the same as that for ‘use’, but with ‘usage’ there is a sense of ‘continued’ or ‘common’ use. And with language, the distinction is that ‘usage’ is the way the language is actually used, as distinct from what might look correct if you try to construct a sentence or phrase from a dictionary and grammar book. Examples would be: ‘Although old-fashioned grammarians say you should never split an infinitive, that is done every day in common usage.’ and ‘I was taught at school that every sentence must have a verb, but actual usage shows that many excellent writers include in their work ’sentences’ without verbs, such as ’His arrival at any gathering was always a dramatic event. Bold. Arresting.’
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:35 am
@contrex,
Thanks, Cliff Hanger and Contrex, for your reply.

Thanks, Contrex, for pointing out the difference between 'use' and 'usage'.
0 Replies