Odd Combinations

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 01:53 pm
Joanne's recipe is a variation on a classic midwestern appetizer that involves meatballs. But you can toss in just about anything you like. Kielbasa, Smoky links, whatever.

http://toottoot.com/r_recipe_grapejellyballs.htm

Drunk
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 04:09 pm
howdy, cj
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 04:17 pm
Hey cjhsa, you are really prepared for any odd food combo in that get up. Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 05:20 pm
Setanta and I had that grape jelly/chili with meatballs thingie at an office potluck last year - everybody was asking the guy who brought it for the recipe - it was definitely the star dish.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:39 pm
Quote:
And butter. Just plain old butter.

This is a kid thing, I guess. Takes way more supervision than I have energy for to keep the sozlet from eating the butter. Just plain old butter. I finally had a brainwave, and cut off a hunk of mozzarella in the exact shape of a stick of butter, put it in the butter dish, and let her discover it. She grabbed it, waited for me to swoop down on her, goggled at me when I didn't, then took a giant bite out of it, waited for me to pounce, goggled when I didn't, and then happily scampered around eating her "butter" and exclaiming about it ("My butter is yummy!"). Yes, I am a bad, bad mother. Embarrassed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:58 pm
I used to baby-sit a little girl (ok now she is a nearly 40 year-old mother of 3) who loved to put her hand into the butter dish, grab a knob of butter and then smush it around in the sugar bowl, and eat the resulting glob of what was in effect, icing.

It made me queasy, but the parents told me to let her go with it. They had some brilliant reasoning for it, but bottom line - she was, and is enviably healthy.

When I was small, our family doctor used to prescribe - yes, he wrote it on the prescription pad - ginger ale and potato chips when someone had a flu bug. Turns out it was more sensible than not - ginger ale for the fluids, potato chips for the sodium to retain the fluids and re-balance the electrolytes.

It's a funny world. Dr's prescribing potato chips and parents letting kids eat icing. But we turned out ok.

Butter and sugar, anyone?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:27 pm
ehBeth -- the theory used to be that children, at least up to a certain age when they become contaminated by society, will eat what they need. If they want to eat nothing but peanut butter for weeks at a time, let them, etc. With wee ones watching tv early and often, I suspect they may be getting 'contaminated' earlier so I'm not sure if that holds up any more.

My sister-in-law used to give her kids 'soda milk' (milk with a little Pepsi mixed in) because she drank Pepsi all the time and they wanted it, too, but she didn't want them to drink all those empty calories. Personally, I think the orange juice and milk thing sounds a lot better (creamsicles???).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:38 pm
Man, ehBeth just brought crazy memories back of me doing the same thing with butter globs...
I dont even want to think of it....
yikes!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:41 pm
Our taste does change over the years, doesn't it? Wonder why -- do we just get more highly developed taste buds or does society do it to us?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:51 pm
Powered sugar in dark Bohemian beer Drunk
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:51 pm
Probably a combination Smile
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 08:34 pm
Cute, quinn, cute (and probably true, too)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 08:40 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 10:07 am
Some odd combos work really well, like strawberries in good balsamic vinegar over vanilla icecream. I made this at home a few years back, and my family thought I was on crack,..til they tasted it. Laughing

One of my favorite dishes for this time of year is sauteed sole, topped with raisins, dates and toasted almonds that are cooked down in a mixture of reduced anisette and butter,...YUMM! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:57 pm
That's it! I'm movin to Jerry's house. Darnit. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:03 pm
Rae- I won't. One week with Jerry, and I would have to buy the next bigger size! Razz
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:08 pm
Consider my bubble burst.

Hate to admit it, but great point, Phoenix. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:23 pm
I'd serve "spa" portions for the calorie conscience Laughing

(The dishes I post are usually "special occasion" recipes, we eat a pretty healthy diet here in the "JerryR" home,..my folks are diabetic)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:40 pm
SOLD
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:44 pm
<psstt...hes expensive, or I wouldda bought him years ago! Wink>
0 Replies