Odd Combinations

bandylu2

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:56 pm
Some interesting combos here -- some of which I've never heard of and some of which I'll probably never try (I am basically a food coward, you know).

One my husband eats (which is wonderful for the cholesterol level) is marrow (from beef bones) on rye toast. Even worse for the heart, he loves slab bacon, a chunk of which is boiled and then, while still hot, spread on the outside with crushed garlic and lots of paprika. It is then refrigerated. He slices it and puts it on a piece of Italian bread and eats it (I can't watch -- it's like eating pure cold fat).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 10:36 pm
My parents regularly ate peanut butter, butter, and banana sangwiches...cant do it myself but, whatever they want..they can have.

My favorite gross out everyone sangwich is liverwurst...which aint so bad however, I must have it with pickles and mayo...I know..freaks everyone out but, I just love it

I was always known for putting chips in my sloppy joes but, I dont think thats very unusual
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 10:38 pm
Husband also eats anchovies and cream cheese on saltines (as if the anchovies weren't salty enough all by themselves).
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:02 am
Quinn, I'm with you about liverwurst - I like liver, beets, almost all those foods that people mostly hate. I ask my dining companions for permission before I order liver from a menu!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:17 am
Hmmm. I don't care for liver (makes me quiver) but I adore liverwurst... is it really the wurst of the liver?

I do want it to be fresh, however!

Liverwurst is great spread on ak-mak... add a thin bit of sharp cheddar or swiss. Yummy.

As a child we used to have BLLT sandwiches - Bacon, Liverwurst, Lettuce and Tomato. Those are GREAT!

Mr.PFK loves peanut butter and lettuce sandwiches and has passed that love on to the next generation.

But I'm with you, Bandylu... a food coward.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 10:06 am
in my years a thousand miles or so south of here, i never worked up the courage to get lengua or cabeza in my burrito.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 10:18 am
head? tongue? ick

Piffka, please define ak-mak...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 10:42 am
Ak-Mak... guess I should have capitalized it... is a brand name for an Armenian whole-grain sesame cracker. You can usually find it in grocery stores near Rye-Krisp.

PatioDog - There is a fairly authentic Mex. take-out chain around here that offers all of the above in various combinations of burrito, taco, and enchilada.

http://www.tacos-guaymas.com/graphics/pepper_dance.gif
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:05 am
Doh! Called my bluff!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:09 am
Tacos Guaymas is quite good and you don't HAVE to order from the "guts" menu. I wouldn't! Trust me!!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:10 am
THe odd thing is they're sort of expensive. Who'd pay $5 for an innards taco? (Want cheese with that???)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:17 am
In Japan everyone dips cucumbers and cabbage in miso sauce! Miso looks exactly like chunky diarrhea, Razz and if you ate it plain you just might throw up, but used as a dip like that or in 'miso soup' it really is damn good for some weird reason! Smile
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 03:20 pm
I think Monger has us all beat... Shocked
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 03:29 pm
Yep, I got totally grossed out!

But I'm ready to start again. However, everything I eat seems normal. How do I know it is weird?

As a child I used to sneak brown sugar straight from the box.

(It is still good sometimes...)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 04:52 pm
I ate raw potatoes when I was a wee one. And butter. Just plain old butter. God I needed supervision.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 05:00 pm
There's not enough of that to go around!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:11 pm
OK here is a strange but good one. Cut kielbasa in slices and put aside. Then use one bottle of chilli sauce Heinz is what I use, one 8 oz. bottle of grape jelly. Simmer the cilli sauce and grape jelly until the jelly melts, add the sausage, cook awhile longer. Let set over night. Serve warm. It is good, it is.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 09:58 am
My brother drinks orange juice and milk mixed together. I can't watch...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 10:06 am
But isn't an orange julius made from that? With extra flavorings?? They're yummy!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 10:18 am
Joanne, Joanne, Joanne. Grape-chili-kielbasa, you say? Okaaaay........
0 Replies