Odd Combinations

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 10:57 pm
The first time my son went to Thanksgiving dinner at his girlfriend's house, he was amazed (though pleased) that along with the turkey they served tater tots. He was pleased because they'd already had the mashed potatoes at our house before they went to her house and he likes tater tots.

Any way, it seems like we tend to associate certain foods in combination with certain other foods, like peanut butter and jelly or cheese and crackers. When someone serves us something different, it just doesn't seem right.

Have you eaten any unusual combinations lately?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 9,676 • Replies: 82
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 11:02 pm
Pickle and peanutbutter sandwich - well I used to watch my dad eat them - yikes
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 11:05 pm
Actually, there are a lot of different peanut butter combos -- bananas come to mind but I know there are others. Pickles is a bit strange though. I second the yikes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 11:08 pm
hotdogs and peanutbutter
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 11:09 pm
Double yikes on that one.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 11:57 pm
Potato chip sandwiches.

My dad passed away over 30 years ago, but I still remember him asking me to make him a snack in the evening, two slices bread and a few potato chips in the middle. Not recent, but I've never forgotten that one!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 12:42 am
I can't remember any particularly odd combos lately, but...sad to say, much of the food served in my new home town doesn't quite blend. Don't know quite what the problem is. Well this is sort of north, and the mexican food, for example, is way less representative of the country than where I came from, Los Angeles. Not in just one place, but all I have tried...except, finally, one place, people from Nyarit. But the same is true for other foods. I think people opened restaurants here without ever trying cooking from outside their own poor cooking families. Really, really, unusually untasty food. Worst coffee shop...worst indian food, worst...and so on. Not to whine.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:30 am
One of my favorite combos of all time is a piece of good bread, a layer of peanut butter, and a topping of mustard. The mustard is usually Dijon, but the combo is good with ordinary mustard as well.

This is good made with a slice of freshly toasted bread, too.

Trouble is that I can never eat just one slice.

Has anyone else ever tried this combo?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 09:02 am
Kara- No, but it sounds wonderful. I think it it would be great on pumpernickel. Ever try it that way?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 09:54 am
not to derail the convers., but --

osso -

oddly enough, if you're really feeling the pangs of loss of mexican food, you might head up the road to eugene. i've had surprisingly good mexican food there (and i am a calif. boy), and listened to one of the best mariachi bands i've ever heard. who'd'ave thunkit?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 11:04 am
My father eats cream cheese and green olive sandwiches.

...ugh...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 11:47 am
used to do cream cheese, bean dip, and frito sandwiches. health cakes, i call 'em.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 12:25 pm
As kids, my sister and I used to eat ketchup and mayonnaise sandwiches when Mom wasn't around. Kind of makes me queasy to think of it!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 02:26 pm
Ketchup and mayonnaise sandwiches? Yuck.
Mustard and mayonnaise sandwiches? Yummy.

My middle son likes to separate the Oreo cookies and make potato chip sandwiches with them. He's not that small: he's 17.

Another favorite: banana-chocolate bar baguettes.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:19 pm
Hey Husker, your Dad had good taste. Peanut Butter and pickle sandwiches are scrumptious. But the pickles have to be sweet dill strips.

And Philadelphia Cream cheese with lots of green olives stuffed with pimiento, add a little mayonaisse, that's a treat Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:28 pm
macsm11 - your dad was having a classic variant on the british chip butty - i tried it once - not divine, but not nearly as disgusting as i expected.

my favourite dishes are northern german/scandinavian traditions, but most of my north american friends are put off just by the descriptions - in the fall it's pears cooked with green beans, hard spicy peppery beef sausage and double-smoked bacon - for christmas it's herring salad, made with rollmops, beets, apples, onions, and dilled pickles - in the winter i love to cook liver with apples and onions

man oh man, am i getting hungry
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:19 pm
I'm a peanut butter and banana sandwich girl myself, but that's not that strange. When I was pregnant it was pickles and ice cream, yuk!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:34 pm
Cream cheese and strawberry jam on pumpernickel bread.....ahhhhhh! The memories!

Peanut butter, banana and raisin sandwich.

Cheezits and Coca-cola.

Leftover cold pizza and Coca-cola.

Turkey sandwich with stuffing and cranberry ~ don't knock it till you've tried it!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:43 pm
When it comes to unusual foodstuffs brought together by chance, I look no further than my grocery store . Once I spotted fresh strawberries near the frozen trout on special. Right there I imagined a piquant strawberry coulis flavoured with chili and lime juice, as my sauce. Well it turned out sublime and I highly recommend it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:51 pm
An open-mind while grocery shopping is a good thing! Your combination sounds exquisite, Algis!
0 Replies