Presidential Debate: Round 2

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:01 pm
@Diest TKO,
ceej wrote:
Quote:
Last night Oboy said "I believe it is a right" in response to a healthcare question. Last time I looked, there is nothing in the Constitution or Bill of Rights about a right to taxpayer provided healthcare. There is a funny little clause I call 2A though, and he apparently doesn't agree with that one.

Oh! Please spell it out for me. Where in the Constitution or Bill of Rights can we find our rights to public education? How about roads and bridges (to nowhere?). How about prisons? How about the FBI?

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:29 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
nimh wrote:
Pardon my "Huh?" here, but what original statement of mine did I do a 180 on? Cause I have no idea what you're alluding to.

This one:

{quote snipped}

I doubt I misinterpreted your sarcasm.

That post was a joke, Bill. As I pointed out in my next post, right underneath it. When I did get serious - and stated my actual opinion:

nimh wrote:

Well, jokes aside, he wasnt negotiating with Pakistanis now. He was speaking to Americans.

Not that I care how he pronounces it, but this seems like a silly argument in his defence.

And yeah, that wormhole feature is cool...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:42 pm
(Sh*t...I just got back into town. My quip about Packistan vs Pockistan was a totally throw-away line. I never expected it to hit a nerve with anyone.)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
Relax John. You didn't hit any nerve. Your point was as innocuous as my response and I doubt the continued discussion of it has much to with it at all.

Nimh. If you want to pretend your joke wasn't founded in the same basic reaction, that Obama was being harmlessly polite, I can only respond with: Whatever.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

(Sh*t...I just got back into town. My quip about Packistan vs Pockistan was a totally throw-away line. I never expected it to hit a nerve with anyone.)

see? you do have to watch what you say in a post 9/11 world, rjb. Wink
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:07 pm
@mason738,
mason738 wrote:

black sabbath--That explains a lot--Those idiots are full fledged druggies!

and quite rich. that means you should like them, mr. gotrocks
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
Too late. You done did it now .....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:31 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Nimh. If you want to pretend your joke wasn't founded in the same basic reaction, that Obama was being harmlessly polite, I can only respond with: Whatever.

Okay... If you'd rather go on what you believe to know about what may have prompted my joke rather than the serious take on the same thing I posted right underneath...

But if you really wanna know, no, your mind reading powers failed. The joke was founded on believing that those who want to go out and make political hay out of how Obama pronounces a name are being really dumb. As I've already said about, oh, a dozen times - I dont care a whit about how he pronounces a name. That doesnt change anything, however, about me thinking that those who'll "defend" Obama for pronouncing Pakistan in an unusual way at a domestic election debate as some kind of serious, essential gesture that must be meant to pave the ground for negotiations with the Pakistani President are being really dumb too. I mean, come on.

People will argue anything now, I guess, whether to attack the "enemy" or to defend "their" guy. Loss of perspective all around.

I guess this election race is just making some people on both sides act really dumb - on that count I cant wait till its all over.
Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:19 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

1) Biden won.
2) Palin exceeded expectations.

I love that. The woman is so freakin' stupid that everyone's amazed that she didn't open wide and swallow her own foot. She is a female version of the shrub though. An absolute cuckoo clock.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:47 am
@Wilso,
Wilso, Have you heard that Palin's crowd are now saying "kill him" and such things after Palin talks about Obama and Ayers? Talk about the "fringe" of nut cases, we're seeing the true colors of the conservatives.

And they're supposed to be the party of "morals." ROFL
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 12:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Wilso, Have you heard that Palin's crowd are now saying "kill him" and such things after Palin talks about Obama and Ayers? Talk about the "fringe" of nut cases, we're seeing the true colors of the conservatives.

And they're supposed to be the party of "morals." ROFL

unbelievable, isn't it? and if one of her adoring fans actually decides to act on her, and by extension mccain's, dog whistles to blow obama away; do you think either of them would take any responsibility for stirring it up? hell, would they even lose any sleep?

there's certain mindset that philosophizes that in order to bring a nation back to it's original pure origins, the people must round up all of the liberals, professors, writers, artists, journalists, musicians, disabled, mentally retarded, gypsies and those of "impure blood and race" and ship them off for resettlement out of public view.

the first step in getting "joe sixpack" onboard is to single out a particular kind of person who is, of course, not like them; and to convince ol' joe that kind of person is at the root of all of their troubles.

then, it's important to tell the entire sixpack family that they are in danger of invasion by an unidentifiable enemy. no act is too extreme to protect themselves from the hidden menace. sitting on the free press is required. but not nearly as important as dulling civil liberties and giving the great leader complete and total power.

most important of all to seal the compact; since joe and his little sixpack family (including "little king", who was born in cinncinatti) are very religious people and may have some misgivings about some of the deeds done in their name, they must be made aware that all is right in heaven because "god is with them".

in which case it is completely acceptable to incite the murder of any, or all political enemies.

what about those who don't go along with the plan?

they are either labeled "unpatriotic" and cowed. or, it's just as easy, and so much more fun to cram one more into the ol' freight car with the rest of the abschaum.

mccain and palin are playing a very, very dangerous game here.

and it shows a real lack of judgement, morals or even historical knowledge and understanding.
----

wait; i take that back. palin does have an apparent favorite period in pre-reagan american history;

http://www.visualstatistics.net/East-West/Witch%20Trials/KladivoA.jpg

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:14 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
That doesnt change anything, however, about me thinking that those who'll "defend" Obama for pronouncing Pakistan in an unusual way at a domestic election debate as some kind of serious, essential gesture that must be meant to pave the ground for negotiations with the Pakistani President are being really dumb too. I mean, come on.
I used that as an example of a potential effect of courtesy, Nimh... not the thrust of some deep felt counter argument. As I said, I generally try to pronounce proper names correctly if I happen upon what I believe is a more correct pronunciation, as a matter of courteous habit. I hardly require an additional motive to do so and didn't mean to imply there was an underlying motive. I couldn't agree more with you that this is entirely too silly.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:11 am

... Drunk

T
K
O
snood

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:11 am
@Diest TKO,
Willful ignorance demonstrated. Truly saddening.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:04 pm
@snood,
snood, It's not "saddening," it's frightening.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's both, to me. It's sad because people living in 2008 are so closed to anything but their own hateful preconceptions. It's scary because minds like theirs might perceive silence from the leaders of the right as consent to some unthinkable act.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:56 pm
@snood,
Not only their silence, but the continuation of their rhetoric that promotes violence and hate. Some people like okie still claims McCain is the same man today compared to the 'old,' but he fails to see what most of us sees. He's a senile, tired, old, man who has lost his way. I knew something was wrong when he approved torture of our prisoners. He's been going downhill ever since.
0 Replies