Tuesday's Presidential Debate - Economy - Who Will Say What?

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:05 pm
tuesday's debate topic is scheduled to be the economy. both the obama and mccain campaigns have announced that the gloves are coming off.

what attacks do you think will be launched by the respective nominees?

also, do you think that accusations will take up more time than the nominee's explanation of their plans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 3,215 • Replies: 41
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:59 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Well, what can McCain do but make a whole bunch of promises. The major reason he's losing this election is 100% of American are now aware that the economy under the republicans have destroyed their "security." Terrorism is now down at the bottom of our concerns. The McCain camp will try to destroy Obama with lies and innuendos. Obama will respond more quickly than Kerry, but Obama's problem is that most people don't trust him to have the right kind of background in "executive experience" to lead as the president. They seem to prefer to straight talk express who has shown his inability to lead the republican party while he spent time in Washington DC to get the bailout votes. McCain will not be the leader of the current members of congress, because half of them hate him. The other half hates Bush (and by inference, McCain).

McCain is no leader by any stretch of anybody's imagination, but conservatives just don't give a damn. When you add Palin to the mix, it makes level headed people wonder why he still enjoys over 40% of the votes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 01:02 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I think that the economic climate has doomed McCain's election chances, and the upcoming debate won't change that one bit.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 01:03 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I don't think it's scheduled to be about the economy specifically, actually. It's a town hall format, all topics. Then the last one (October 15th) is about the economy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 01:19 pm
@sozobe,
Someone in the audience should ask McCain why his pig with lipstick has now transformed into an attack dog - with lipstick.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 01:48 pm
I'm predicting that we'll see a glimpse of that infamous McCain temper Tuesday night, especially after today's video from the Obama campaign about McCain's poor judgement and involvement in the Keating 5/Savings and Loan scandal.

http://keatingeconomics.com/
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 02:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
Do you think that'll make any difference to the conservatives? I don't.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The tug of war is all about those undecided folks in the middle. It could make a difference there.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The conservatives and liberals have never mattered in this campaign, they cancel each other out. It's about the independents; always has been.

Independents are independent for a reason. They are skeptical about everything and thoughtful about their decisions. As such, they won't be swayed by the recent partisan nonsense.

The economy trumps everything, and it's clear that most independents recognize that an Obama administration is more likely to navigate the rough economic waters we are now entering.

Unless lightning strikes, Obama will be our next president.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 04:14 pm
@rosborne979,
There is a huge change during this election; more democrats are registering to vote, and the majority of college students are leaning Obama; first time, I believe. I understand that in Florida, registrations are 3 to 1 democrats.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 04:31 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
McCain will call Obama "boy". Obama will retort "fatass geezer".

McCain: Your Mama!
Obama: Come get some, beeyotch!

McCain bumrushes Obama but he dodges and McCain goes charging into the audience like an out of control bull.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:19 pm
I hope McCain will confront Obama with his opposition to increased regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

This wasn't the sole reason for the meltdown but without Fannie and Freddy the boom and ultimate bust of sub-prime mortgages could not have happened.

More importantly are the reasons Democrats like Obama, Dodd, Frank and Waters opposed regulation despite the dire predictions of Alan Greenspan.

Follow the money.

The meltdown has hurt McCain's campaign, he needs to go on the offensive about the role of the Democrats.

Right now the Dems seem to be getting a pass on this mess by a public that doesn't understand what happened and is willing to rely on political cliches: Democrats support regulation and Republicans oppose it.

McCain and Palin have both missed opportunities to set the record straight. It's maddening.

I also hope he will confront Obama with his associations Rev Wright and Bill Ayres.

Your associations tell the world something important about you.

If Obama responds with Keating 5 comments, so be it. McCain can handle that charge. Instead of trying to downplay it or insist nothing ever stuck to him, he can admit a mistake in judgement and detail how he committed himself to reform thereafter.

I have to laugh whenever an Obama surrogate makes the point that their guy was only 8 when the Weather Underground was setting off bombs.

SO WHAT?

Are they trying to say that Obama didn't know anything about Ayres past when he took up with him?

Obama's associations with Ayres and Wright speak loudly about his character:
Either we can impute something about them to him, or we can assume that Obama will get in bed with anyone to further his career.

I hope he will confront Obama on his opposition to the Surge which even he now admits has worked.

Sometimes leaders find themselves having to deal with a problem created for them, not by them. When that happens they have to deal with the problem they face, and not keep harping back to their original position.

Whether or not Obama was right when he opposed the invasion, his view didn't prevail. At that point he should have started thinking and acting in regards to making the best of the situation, and not petulantly insisting his original position was right and therefore all ensuing decisions should be based on validating that position.

The MSM has endeavored prodigiously and shamelessly to shelter Obama. McCain has to bypass them and highlight these issues for the American public.

He has to go for broke. Playing this thing out without a attempt to refocus Americans will result in his defeat in November.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn; McCain is the "original" deregulation guru. Study his votes.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I hope McCain will confront Obama with his opposition to increased regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

When exactly did Obama oppose increased regulation of Fannie and Freddie?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:25 pm
@FreeDuck,
Lest Finn forgets the "current" issues about Mae and Mac:

Quote:
McCain's Fannie and Freddie Connections

John McCain railed against Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac on the campaign trail today, saying that the CEOs that led the lenders to ruin "deserve nothing" and should have to pay back their severance packages. In an Wall Street Journal op-ed co-bylined by his vice presidential pick, Sarah Palin, McCain suggested bold reforms for Fannie and Freddie that would "terminate future lobbying, which was one of the primary contributors to this great debacle."

If that's the case, McCain should look first to his campaign staffers as the cause of that debacle. One of them was Fannie Mae's head of lobbying, and spread tens of millions of dollars around Washington in the form of lobbying contracts. A number of McCain staffers were on the receiving end of those contracts, collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars each from the lenders to rep their interests. And McCain's campaign manager served as president of a lobbying association that fought to protect Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae from the sort of regulation that McCain is now proposing.

In McCain's op-ed in the Journal, he and Palin wrote:

For years, Congress failed to act and it is deeply troubling that what we are seeing is an exercise in crisis management rather than sound planning, and at great cost to taxpayers.

We promise the American people that our administration will be different. We have long records of standing up to special interests…

But McCain's own campaign staffers are those special interests, a fact that casts doubt on both McCain's hiring judgment and his ability to pursue tough reforms of Fannie and Freddie.

Funny how McCain tries to divert attention away from his own campaign staff.
TilleyWink

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:11 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
McCain will say anything he thinks will get him elected. Obama will say anthing he thinks will get him elected.
SYNRON

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:30 pm
@TilleyWink,
Of course, Tillley Wink, that's what politicans do but there is a difference, Mccain is an honorable man who served his country and was a POW for 5 years.
Obama is a street punk who had Communist mentors.
SYNRON

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:34 pm
@rosborne979,
You are correct rosburne 979 and now is when conservatives must regroup to fight the ghetto kid, Obama with every means at our disposal until the election of 2010. If the economy hasn't recovered with a bang by then or if we are attacked again after Obama kisses Ahminejad's butt, then the revolution will start in earnest. As the famous speech given by Winston Churchill in 1940--We shall never surrender..

As for myself, Obama will never be my president and if I were in a room with him I would never go to shake his hand. It would dirty mine!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:38 pm
@SYNRON,
McCain was a POW. Jeeze, that's news to me. You musta done some major research to have found that out.
SYNRON

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:44 pm
@JTT,
That wasn't reallly major research, JTT, but here is some research that not too many people know about--

"Sen. Barack Obama was the most LIBERAL SENATOR IN 2007, according to the National Journal's 27th annual vote ratings. The insurgent political candidate shifted further to the left last year in the run-up to the primaries, after finishing as the 16th and the 10th most liberal during his first two years in the Senate"