edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:39 pm
@Intrepid,
I think that remark was uncalled for. Craven is betting his whole livelyhood on the success of the new site. To make it a personal playground would doom it from the start.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Being uncalled for is an arbitrary and personal opinion. However, you may well be right.

On the other hand, being censored is also uncalled for.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:03 pm
@Intrepid,
actually I don't agree
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:12 pm
@Intrepid,
I can almost understand your nastiness on the evolution threads, but this attack on Craven makes no sense whatever.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am not nasty on evolution threads. In fact, I have hardly ever posted on them. As for an attack.... you are mistaken. No attack intentioned or initiated. Not a lot on this site makes sense any more.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:18 pm
@Intrepid,
My bad, intrepid. I miscalled the evolution thing. I aks you to forgive that misstatement.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My bad, intrepid. I miscalled the evolution thing. I aks you to forgive that misstatement.

Yes, of course I forgive. That is the Christian thing to do.

I realize that in your haste to defend Craven, you reacted out of character.

Have a good night.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:24 pm
@Intrepid,
Have a good one yourself.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:26 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Mushy has a point, though - this site isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be.

True, and it's not the format. It's people like Mushy wandering off. Taking the good, and leaving the bad, indeed.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:31 am
Mushy Flush (hm, that doesnt sound too good eh? ;-), sorry to see you go! I like you. Come back anytime, and in the meantime, take care and all the best!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:40 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Yes, of course I forgive. That is the Christian thing to do.

I realize that in your haste to defend Craven, you reacted out of character.

Have a good night.

I think you helped me understand what my other pet peeve was with your remark that the site isn't as intuitive as it used to be though.

In the old A2K, if you disliked religion or politics or whatever you just didn't enter those forums and therefore didn't see all the hateful, nasty thread titles that almost certainly make the site appear less friendly, more coarse, more crude, less intelligent than it does if you don't have to see all those thread titles.

If you wanted to poke around in History or Art or Gardening or whatever where it doesn't get judgmentally personal and not be involved in the less attractive side of A2K society, you could do that and life was good. That ability has largely been taken from us.

And I continue to beat the drum for a feature that allows us to organize our interests better without requiring us be judgmental about people or posts or thread titles. Ability to vote thread or people or posts down clearly invites malicious or hateful activity and discourages diversity of opinion and thought. I will never get used to or feel good about thumbs downing stuff.

There has to be a way to accommodate the best of all worlds and encourage an on line family again instead of features that discourage that.

That is my hope.

Mame

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Ability to vote thread or people or posts down clearly invites malicious or hateful activity and discourages diversity of opinion and thought.

No it doesn't. That's blatantly ridiculous. I vote down threads all the time because I'm tired of the topic, it got ugly, I'm not interested, etc etc... where is the maliciousness and hate in that? How is that discouraging diversity of opinion and thought? They can continue their diatribes about Palin and Obama or whatever with impugnity. Just without me.

I also ignore users that are ugly to others. How is that any different from roaming around on gardening threads instead of politics in the old forum? Nobody knows who's doing the voting or ignoring unless they choose to advertise it, so how does it hurt anyone?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:07 pm
@Mame,
Why is is blatantly ridiculous? It can be as Foxfyre says if such activity pushes things to the bottom where those who may be interested cannot find them.

If it only affects the one who votes it down them I have no problem with it. If it is as Foxfyre has postulated, then that is blatantly ridiculous.
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:16 pm
Farewell, flushd/mushy. I'm sorry to see you go. I hope this is not the last of you. (If you do return, please, no more name changes! I get terribly confused! Wink )

Sigh.
One more good person to add to my "sadly missed" list. This list is now starting to get larger than my "A2k fave rave poster" list. Sad
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:17 pm
@Intrepid,
If you tag a topic it is easy to find.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:26 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

One more good person to add to my "sadly missed" list. This list is now starting to get larger than my "A2k fave rave poster" list. Sad

Thats how it goes ... the longer you're in one place, the more the list of "people who used to be here" grows, and eclipses the list of "people on here right now"...
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:38 pm
@Intrepid,
That's not how it works, Intrepid. If you click "thumbs down" on a thread or a post or a poster, it only eliminates the offending cyberbyte (did I just invent a word?) only for you. That thread or post is still visible to everyone else who hasn't down-thumbed it. And, if you have a change of heart, you can always bring it back. This sort of self-editing makes censorship by mods virtually unnecessary. I thumb-down trolls all the time.
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:39 pm
@nimh,
Yep I know, nimh.
But it's not just any poster who used to be here ..... it's the ones whose posts I really enjoyed that I sorely miss.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 07:07 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

That's not how it works, Intrepid. If you click "thumbs down" on a thread or a post or a poster, it only eliminates the offending cyberbyte (did I just invent a word?) only for you. That thread or post is still visible to everyone else who hasn't down-thumbed it. And, if you have a change of heart, you can always bring it back. This sort of self-editing makes censorship by mods virtually unnecessary. I thumb-down trolls all the time.

Thanks for the clarification. That is really the only way that it should work.

I can now, merrily, (no pun intended Wink ) vote down what I don't want to see without fear of being part of the problem.

Too bad that you didn't get to reply to foxfyre prior to Mame. Crying or Very sad
Green Witch

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 07:38 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
The look of it isn't too bad after you get used to it. Overall, it just isn't the same and it is not because it is not as intuitive as it once was. The entire community atmosphere has changed.... and not for the better.

I have to agree with this. The energy is not the same. Fewer new people, fewer regulars, more drama and more meanness. The site doesn't feel as intelligent or as friendly as it use to be. I feel claustrophobic on occasion, like I can't get away from some people or topics.

I think the shrinking of the avatars has taken away some of the personality of those of us who use them. I miss Kicky's cowboy and Chai's ever changing images. I can't see what half of them are without squinting. I miss clicking onto individual forums like General, Books, or History and skipping the rest.

I first came to this site looking for information about 10th century England, instead I found a group of funny, witty, grown-ups who had formed a tight community in the vastness of the internet. I loved it and I was determined to become a part of it. Many of the greats have died or faded away, but this recent change has been the hardest of all. I have real feelings for many of the regulars here, but I doubt if I stumbled upon A2K today I would stay.

MushyFlush, I'm very sorry to see you go. I only hope you will pop back in from time to time. I have always valued your contributions and our interactions. Peace.