In the A2K playground: Play the Synbot game today!

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:30 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Yes... you are Robert. I'm sure you have your reasons but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors. Anyhoo... before getting distracted by the troll, I did have some suggestions you might find useful here.
Or not. I'm sure you're sick and tired of suggestions too. I would be by now.

Bill this kind of trolling existed on the old site as well, it's particularly hard to define at all and the popularity systems are an even better way to deal with them by my estimation because they community gets to set their own thresholds (collectively) than have a smaller collective of individuals do it for them.

As to your suggestions, we don't have the data or the groundwork for them but none of them are things we haven't considered or are considering. Like I've said, we are still building the reputation system as the data comes in and there is going to be friend connections etc that are similar to what you are suggesting and that could be used to algorithmically moderate content.

But you also might notice that none of them involve playing the same game as the troll. Even with your own suggestions you'd need to use those tools instead of goading them on. Hell, at least try using the tools in addition to doing so, many of this troll's posts would be collapsed by default (-5 for replies is default right now) if just one or two more people used it instead of replying.

We're working on it, and more will be done to address this kind of thing (a dupe post filter and flood filter were released tonight and the latter was aimed at not letting one troll post too many times in a row in a thread) but no technology is going to improve on this if the other users just don't want to let go of the troll.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
I figured you'd probably thought of everything I could already, but took a shot just in case (providing you noticed the thought about Neg contains one or more of these key words argument-for troll identification or weight variance purposes)(again, just in case. Wink)

The old site most certainly did not allow this depth of trolling for any length of time. The Mods would eventually get fed up and boot the very troll we're discussing... and he even indicated as much himself. I am hoping that community service eventually gets automated if the manual luxury is gone for good. I'd prefer this site with or without it compared to the old version (once PMs and keyword search return, that is), but I'll likely never understand why, if you don't choose to block the worst of the worst. More your problem than mine, I'm just saying.

I know very well that I can ignore content, and frankly realize most of the time that I should (ask JTT how often I respond to his personal attacks), but this kind of pointed provocation will sometimes override my better senses. My apologies to all for feeding the troll.

While I've got your attention for second, I do have one more small request that you can act on or not. Could we resume blocking the C-word? The disrespect associated with that one makes me angrier than any troll, and I know I can't be alone in wishing to never see or hear it again.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:10 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Re word censors that's in the works. It will be optional though.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Re word censors that's in the works. It will be optional though.
Cool! Individually? Or will I have to go PG to accomplish it (that's the only one that bothers me)(Embarrassed)?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:30 am
@OCCOM BILL,
It would probably be simple and basic to start, but if you want a lot of control just install a browser plugin for that.

E.g. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4175 (Note that you'd need greasemonkey installed first)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
I suppose it is time to give Firefox another try. Been years. Thank you.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:15 pm
Does A2K lack the ability to IP ban?

T
K
O?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:22 pm
Nimh, as evidenced by these two posts, you can add Mason738 to your list of costumes our super hero has in his closet.

http://able2know.org/topic/123610-1#post-3428163

http://able2know.org/topic/123658-5#post-3429460

I wonder if there is any limit to the number of names we can have on our ignore user list...
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:22 pm
@Diest TKO,
Rockhead - I'd like to give the mods the benefit of the doubt. However, the last time racial slurs where directed at me on this site and I reported it nothing was done. I'd hate to become cynical. If they don't have the ability it's one thing, if they do but won't use it, it's something else entirely.

Name a more appropriate occasion to use IP or hardware ban power...

T
K
O
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
I wonder if there is any limit to the number of names we can have on our ignore user list...
Like Deist; I wonder if there is any limit to the amount of crap we’re expected to just ignore.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:24 pm
@Diest TKO,
I am not a mod, nor will I ever be invited to be one.

Mr Craven has a plan, and I trust the plan, but....

(when all else is gone, the cockroaches will rule)
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:11 am
@Rockhead,
The aforementioned costumer is probably serving as the lab rat for the prototype algorithm as we speak.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:13 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:
Like Deist; I wonder if there is any limit to the amount of crap we’re expected to just ignore.

You wouldn't know it was ignore-worthy crap if you were using the ignore user tool.

Poof! crap-worthy ignorance vanishes quicker than a McCain after a presidential debate and leaves no lasting impression.
Debra Law

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 01:41 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote: "Poof! crap-worthy ignorance vanishes quicker than a McCain after a presidential debate and leaves no lasting impression."

I have possum on ignore. It's a wonderful feature. He doesn't exist in my A2K world except when he reincarnates himself, and I have to find the ignore button once again. The only drawback is that I don't get to revel in all the lavish praise that he bestows on me, Debra L A W, and so many others. LOL
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:35 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:

You wouldn't know it was ignore-worthy crap if you were using the ignore user tool.

Poof! crap-worthy ignorance vanishes quicker than a McCain after a presidential debate and leaves no lasting impression.
Rolling Eyes Aren't you clever. This is nonsense, of course. I'd still see quotes and references... and in this case quite specific to me. Further, there are a good many reasons (and degrees of same) why a member might be on my ignore list. I may just want to see who the Ignored post is from, since some reasons for putting someone on "Ignore are fluid as my preference, just like my tolerance for idiocy, changes with my mood. In other cases, I might be concerned with how a A-hole may be affecting someone I care about. I have my reasons, not yours, so spare me your sophomoric pseudo-wisdom if you think you're offering it for my benefit.

"Ignore" is hardly a comprehensive solution to trolling. Nor is the rating system, for that matter, since I don't always concur with the collective wisdom of the community (obviously Wink). If you are correct, and this latest troll’s activity is being used to design an algorithm for removal of same; excellent. That would be great news… but I’ve yet to hear it from a credible source. In the mean time I, like everyone else, will continue to voice my opinion when and where I see fit for as long as I'm allowed and feel like doing so.

Telling people that trolls won't exist if we all ignore them is like addressing drug abuse or teen pregnancy with a "just say no campaign." Sure, it helps, but it's NOT going to solve the problem. Hell, they’re always going to exist and we won’t even agree on who they are. But in some cases; it’s pretty obvious who the asshole is. You’re liable to run into an asshole at any bar you go to, too. The better bars are the ones who take better steps to reduce the likelihood… which needless to say includes asshole removal. I like the less rigid philosophy of the new site, but I don’t see why it’s necessary to cater to total bottom feeders in the process.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:15 am
I have a live and let live attitude
If trolls don't get the attention they are seeking, they go somewhere else.
I think we are all adults that can stand up for ourselves and do not need knights in shiny armor to take care of us.
I think anyone can behave like a troll at times.
Trolls in shiny armor can still be trolls.
Mud slinging/name calling is a messy business.
It's hard to stay clean when you play in the basement.
Letty

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:36 am
@caribou,
caribou, This month is Hispanic month. What we need are billy goats on A2K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aP0NW-9ncc
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:41 am
@caribou,
Very well said, caribou.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:51 am
Here is the problem, I can ignore him/her by ignoring the user name(s) that they use. But what I can't ignore is that the A2K mods aren't willing to act when it is needed.

This will be the second time I report a user for personal attacks using racial slurs. Will this be the second time nothing gets done?

T
K
O
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 10:05 am
@caribou,
Very well said, Caribou. The take of a grown-up.