WHAT THE BLOODY HELL

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 03:49 pm
I have just tried to post to a thread, and received the message that my post cannot be accepted for more than 7,000 seconds, in case i'm a robot or a spammer. In other words, two hours or more since the last time i posted. Jesus wept, what a lame goddamn site.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 31 • Views: 20,228 • Replies: 163

Izzie

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@Setanta,

edit: oh dear, the site is really having some problems tonight a?

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/LzzieIzzie/whatever/Capture-1.jpg

BLOG ENTRY
2010/02/10 - Our host, WiredTree, is having network difficulties
February 10, 2010 | By Robert Gentel
Able2know.org is offline right now (2010/02/10 20:30 UTC) due to a network issue with our hosts at WiredTree. Their support site is also down and their phone lines busy but they’ve tweeted that:
“There is a network issue effecting some network segments. It is being worked on now. We apologize for the inconvenience.”
As soon as their network issue is resolved able2know should be back online.
WiredTree updates:
“Update: Not network issue, power issue in 427 S LaSalle which caused a large portion of our racks to lose power momentarily.”
“Waiting on update from facilities manager and explanation from CoreSite as to why. Onsite team bringing things back online as fast as we can”
2010/02/10 21:12 UTC “Power has been restored, a large portion is back online. However, some servers will need to filesystem check which takes time.”
And as of 21:21 UTC we are back online.

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@Setanta,

yah-but...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 03:55 pm
@Setanta,

hamster fell asleep at the wheel again?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 03:56 pm
Entire site was off not long ago. Now it am fine.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 03:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I have just tried to post to a thread, and received the message that my post cannot be accepted for more than 7,000 seconds, in case i'm a robot or a spammer. In other words, two hours or more since the last time i posted. Jesus wept, what a lame goddamn site.

The datacenter hosting the site suffered an outage (the specifics of which they haven't yet fully investigated) and this caused the server power to abruptly cut for about an hour. This resulted in the server time getting out of sync, which wasn't immediately obvious when it was brought back online. When I was told about this issue I immediately set the correct time on the server and now it's working.

The feature in question is something that prevents a robot from flooding the site with more messages than a human can keep up with. It simply requires a certain amount of time to elapse between posts to do so but when the server time is incorrect it may think you made a post in the future. The server time was incorrect due to the power outage and that kind of thing happens to even the least lame of sites.

And, you know, every time you face the slightest inconvenience here you rant about how this is a lame site. This was an outage completely out of our control that caused the server problems and I think you are being a total jackass yet again.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hey Robert! Are you suggesting that our beloved Setanta is a bit testy when offended or annoyed????

Nonsense ! I think it is part of his charm. However learning to like it did take some work,
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:12 pm
@georgeob1,
No, I don't think he's a bit "testy" I think he's incorrigibly rude and must put others down with nearly every utterance. It's obnoxious and he's been doing exactly this when he faces the slightest inconvenience on a2k (including typing his password incorrectly) for years.

Given that this kind of thing often comes when we are dealing with a crisis that was imposed on us by circumstance (you think we enjoy having all our businesses offline for an hour Setanta?) and have a lot on our plates it's just all the more of a douche-bag thing to do.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:15 pm
I was wondering if it is weather related and then supposed that was too ignorant to ask. Robert, or anyone conversant with servers, I know you don't know the present cause, but is weather ever a culprit?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I really don't know much more than what was posted on the blog. The outage didn't even directly happen to our host, but an upstream provider. They promised a full RFO (Reason for Outage) after an investigation.

So all I know is that our servers lost power for about an hour, and I'm very keen on finding out why backup power systems did not tide us over myself. If their systems are not up to par we may have to move to a new host again, but this kind of outage can happen to anyone, so I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see the RFO.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:42 pm
If it needs to be said- kudos to Robert, the hamsters and everyone else who runs this place. Not only is this site enjoyable, the design and lack of downtime are remarkable.

The "robots or spammers" message seems like an interesting feature. I see no evidence that this message has ever been displayed incorrectly.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Entire site was off not long ago. Now it am fine.

Well, EB, that's rather odd, because at no time did i suffer any exclusion from the site, just that single instance of being unable to post.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:52 pm
@Setanta,
It was probably just something personal between you and the hamsters. Have you been poking sticks at them while they were running on their wheels?

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
It was probably just something personal between you and the hamsters. Have you been poking sticks at them while they were running on their wheels?

I decline to answer that question . . . you'll need to address further inquiries to my attorneys, Robb, Cheatham and Howe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:55 pm
@Setanta,
I think this is working out quite well.

georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
OK, he's rude. There are many rude folks in this world and on this site. It's conceivable, 'tho not likely that I have been a bit rude here at least once.... perhaps.

However, in his defense, I can say he is shitty with everyone. Ole Set doesn't play favorites.

He does have redeeming quallities..... let's see, I know they're here somewhere.

For your satisfaction Robert, we all enjoy this creation of yours.
Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
The thread is providing some entertainment value.
0 Replies