A Price Worth Paying?

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 06:24 am
John Webb
Quote:
Which is why I said earlier "the Administration CANNOT permit the Democrats to be returned to power by the voters UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. There are far too many skeletons waiting to escape from the closet - and prison cells waiting".

I would ask how do they hope to stop that from happening if they lose the election. Are you predicting a coup d'etat. That is so much nonsense.

By the way I do not believe you can pre-pardon people. They have to be charged and I would suppose convicted of a crime before you can pardon them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 06:33 am
Nixon had not been convicted and I am not certain that he was formally charged, yet, Ford pardoned him. I do agree with you, au, that Bush will not be able to stop the voters if they decide to elect somebody else. I believe they may try to tamper with the vote some, but, that sort of thing happens in every election.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 07:03 am
au1929 said "Are you predicting a coup d'etat. That is so much nonsense."

Agreed. Voters may accept politically-biased court decisions but not that.

Various options are certainly in the consideration stages in the smoke (or should that be pretzel) filled rooms in the White House and will depend upon the popularity of the chosen opponent and the opinion polls nearer the election.

We can all speculate upon the many possibilities available but, at this time, my personal certainty is, fair means or foul, "WHATEVER IT TAKES!". Twisted Evil
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 07:22 am
Yes I suppose you need not be convicted. However, can Bush before he leaves office pardon himself?
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:48 am
Like the four wise monkeys (after allowing for inflation), for reasons of official deniablility, Bush will have seen nothing, heard nothing, said nothing and know nothing. Therefore, nothing to pardon? Rolling Eyes .
0 Replies