The first voice of reason regarding the “Bailout”

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 07:52 am
After seeing/reading/hearing the news this morning, I felt ill. Not just about the lack of results in Congress and our government, but how they are going about it. All I heard was blaming on either side of the parties. So this morning at work, I read the first reasonable response to this issue. He expressed exactly my thoughts on the issue. I am an independent " I’ve voted Democrat and I’ve voted Republican " After reading this commentary, I would vote for this man.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/29/marshall.economy/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

For those not wanting to read the entire commentary, I’ve summarized some items:

My family doesn't use credit much. We pay off charge cards every month, drive used cars, paid off our mortgage early. I'm pretty well-known as a cheapskate. So when I said I’d give up my seat in Congress to pass the financial rescue package, it turned some heads. I understand what's at stake and hope to be a part of reforming our financial system so we don't have these problems again.

I’ve spent my career as a business, finance and bankruptcy law professor and lawyer. I’ve helped individuals and institutions get out of financial trouble and studied ways to make sure they don't get into trouble in the first place -- and drag all of us down with them.

We’re addicted to credit " getting clean will not be easy " when credit is quickly withdrawn everyone panics and credit becomes scarce and not at a reasonable rate. Institutions that use credit daily will fall like dominoes -- bank failures, risking a stock market crash, worthless retirement and pension funds -- could kill us. We need to reduce our dependence on credit gradually but steadily with no excuses.

I voted for the plan because I'm unwilling to play Russian roulette with the financial lives of my children and grandchildren. Although the bill was imperfect and unpopular, I believed that Congress needs to suck up, vote for it and let the chips fall. I hope the economists are wrong-if people can avoid an immediate panic, we can improve this plain, save our financial future and Americans win.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,004 • Replies: 5

JPB

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:21 am
@Linkat,
I nodded my head as I read that earlier too, Linkat. Thanks for posting it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:13 am
@JPB,
What I also like is this man is not stating any blame (other than our dependence on credit) - only a reasonable solution.

We need more people like that in office - some one who understands how things work and is willing to come up with a solution rather than take the glory.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:03 am
@Linkat,
The government has a way to relieve the current distress by pumping money into the banks and finance companies to allow loans to consumers and businesses with good credit. The economy (any economy) requires cash flow for it to survive. This "is" urgent. They can portion out $150 to $200 billion now for this purpose - with restraints and oversite.
Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
Are they is the question?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@Linkat,
It's the question and the answer. It's like McCain's idea of putting a freeze on government spending except defense, veterans, and social security. It will create chaos when money flows stop in the commercial sector. McCain is a dangerous man who doesn't understand economics, but will have the power to take action harmful for our country and the world.
0 Replies