McCain/Debate/Never made eye contact once

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:27 am
@littlek,
Quote:
It was baffling to me as well. Maybe he was trying to break Obama's stride.

I've since viewed the Obama/McCain debate on youtube. I'd originally lsitened to it on the radio.

From the radio perspective, McCain sounded like the winner to me. But once I saw the visuals-- McCain looked uncomfortable and surly by not extending the courtesy of eye contact.

barackman28

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 02:28 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Absolutely--Surly is the word. He thinks he is still a Commander in the Navy and that Senator Obama is his underling!
barackman28

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 02:28 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Absolutely--Surly is the word. He thinks he is still a Commander in the Navy and that Senator Obama is his underling!
0 Replies

ancient punk

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 04:55 am
I haven't seen the debate but I thought that not making eye contact, in this type of situation, was a fairly common tactic of 'I'm so much better than him I don't need to acknowledge him/ his presence'
SYNRON

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:15 pm
@ancient punk,
You are absolutely correct, ancient Punk. People forget that Senator McCain was once the commander of a Naval Squadron and he knows how to tell the difference between punks like Obama and real men. He wonders why Obama did not have the cojones to serve his country either in Desert Storm or after 9/11. People like Obama from the inner city don't have any respect for their country. Obama did not put on a flag pin until he was advised to do so by his handlers. When he is President I will be surprised if he ever salutes any of the many top officers he will encounter daily. He wont. He listened to his pastor-Reverend Wright--Who said- GOD DAMN AMERICA!!
SYNRON

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:39 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979--He won't make eye contact in the bext debate. I predict he will look the American people in the eye and tell them all about Obama andRezko; Obama and Ayers; Obama and Reverend Wright!
firefly

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 11:03 pm
@SYNRON,
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/V/J/2/mac-econ-brain-tmdho080918.jpg
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The real comparison comes from knowing that McCain tried his damndest to belittle Obama, the superior brain and answerer during the debate. What blah blah blah doesn't understand, blah blah blah....really didn't answer any of the questions posed, because he only repeated what he's been saying on the campaign trail. Many will of course miss this simple comparison.

Your comment gets to the core of the problem with McCain-- belittling might have been more effective had the economy not so drastically tanked. Most Americans attitudes towards being an American center around John McCain's attitude of authority.

That authority being: "Do not question, just trust us, the Republicans and me, the war hero, war hero, war hero to do what's right for you. Now, put your hand over your heart with me as we sing God Bless America."

0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:18 am
@ancient punk,
Not making eye contact only goes so far-- Unfortunately, for McCain, this tactic is a outdated in the time of youtube, where people can access the debate and reassess for themselves.

If you can, take a look for yourself on youtube and you'll see why thinking not making eye contact would be affective, it pretty much tanks on TV. it makes McCain look like a weakling and a whiner.

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:27 am
@SYNRON,
How can any of us forget John McCain is a war hero? Most people credit his contribution to his country. However, he's dug his own hole by being an avid supporter of deregulation, among his faults.

During the debate Obama was respectful of McCain-- he made eye contact and he was calm under the pressure. At this point his nickname and reputation--"No drama Obama" serves him well.

0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:33 am
@barackman28,
Quote:

As McCain's presidential forutnes are fading, he's dispatched his number one puppet and attack dog Sarah Palin to do the extra dirty work.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:49 am
@Cliff Hanger,
I don't know why McCain is using Palin, because McCain already lost looking presidential. No eye contact; is this how he's going to run his office and diplomacy?
JPB

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:53 am
I'm curious what kind of body language we're going to see in the next debate(s).
Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 08:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
McCain's hit bottom-- he's going to do whatever it takes, no matter how desperate. Palin has cut-throat instincts and is a natural when it comes to being vicious. Republicans like that, as it worked well for them in previous election cycles.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 09:29 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Did you know how Palin got into politics? She back-stabbed her mentor.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 09:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hmmm. My gut tells me that sounds plausible, but do you have any date, facts, articles, proof?
Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 09:35 am
@JPB,
I don't think they'll be much substance to the debate-- so I agree-- body language will be the debate.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:20 am
@Cliff Hanger,
CH, I've researched this, but couldn't find it. My memory has been pretty reliable, so I know I read it someplace. Some times, another a2ker will post an article that supports what I have claimed on a post. I hope that happens again, but I'll continue to research it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
Cliff Hanger, I found it on Salon.com:

Quote:

Mean girl

Sarah Palin has a way of using "old boys" -- then dumping them when they become inconvenient.

Editor's note: You can find Salon's complete coverage of Sarah Palin here.

By David Talbot

Reuters/Brian Snyder

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in Detroit Sept. 5, 2008.

Sept. 23, 2008 | WASILLA, Alaska -- Before Sarah Palin decided to run for the Wasilla mayor's office in 1996 against incumbent John Stein, the Palins and Steins were friends. John Stein had helped launch Palin's political career, mentoring the hockey mom during her 1994 run for City Council, along with veteran council member Nick Carney. Stein's wife, Karen Marie, went to aerobics classes with Palin.

But when she announced her candidacy for Stein's seat, vowing to overturn the city's "old boy" establishment, a different Sarah Palin emerged. "Things got very ugly," recalled Naomi Tigner, a friend of the Steins. "Sarah became very mean-spirited."

The Wasilla mayor's seat is nonpartisan, and Mayor Stein, a former city planner who had held the post for nine years, ran a businesslike campaign that stressed his experience and competency. But Palin ignited the traditionally low-key race with scorching social issues, injecting "God, guns and abortion into the race -- things that had nothing to do with being mayor of a small town," according to Tigner.

She's running the same kind of campaign now against Obama. Conservatives take note - if that's possible.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks for posting this.

You might enjoy the Huffington Post-- it's loaded with information.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
0 Replies