McCain/Debate/Never made eye contact once

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 02:24 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
That in itself speaks volumes...don't you think the person who wants to be the future leader of the country should be beyond petty stuff like that?

Of course I believe he ought to be able to look Obama in the eye just as Obama could look at him. It implies a level of engagement with the opponent and tells something of what he might be like when he's under pressure as president.

Obama mentioned to McCain in the debate McCain's comment about bomb bomb bomb Iran--but MCain brushed it off.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 02:26 pm
@engineer,
engineer, You missed the biggest no-eye contact when at the beginning and the end of the debate when McCain shook hands with Obama.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 02:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The moderator mentioned several times to "talk to each other."
rabel22

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 02:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Isent the point of a debate to convince the audiance of your points.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 02:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

I was annoyed with both candidates at the beginning of the debate because neither of them wanted to enter into a conversation with the other. Instead, they preferred to simply preach to the audience.

As the debate progressed however, Obama turned to face McCain and began to try to address him directly, which I preferred. Unfortunately, McCain never responded.

I really wish they would sponsor a "Discussion" instead of a "Debate" sometime. I would be interested in seeing how candidates from different sides of the aisle attempt to work with each other to solve certain issues.

engineer

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 05:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

engineer, You missed the biggest no-eye contact when at the beginning and the end of the debate when McCain shook hands with Obama.

Ah perhaps you are right. Making popcorn at the time. Too bad. It sounds like I missed the best point of the debate.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:46 pm
Maybe McCains just a smug old prick who thinks too much of himself. Remember when 41 treated Clinton with the same disdain? How'd that work out?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:54 pm
He just looked uncomfortable, nervous, and shy to me. He's spent years getting used to performing (albeit not very well) in the standard political paradigm of addressing the audience and cameras in the near to middle distance. This debate didn't fit the usual model, and Obama is more comfortable on his feet than McCain is. I don't think it means that much in itself as per either candidate's ability to govern. I've spent some time in front of bright lights and audiences, and it's about as unnatural a situation as you can compose.

Of course, what it means to voters might be of considerable import...
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 11:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In the ghetto,not making eye contact is a sign that you are being dissed. Senator Obama should have never taken his eyes off of McCain,daring him to look at him.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 05:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

I also think long time anchors/newsmen/women get tired of the same old practiced lines coming out of the politicians mouths-- in this case Lehrer kind of tossed in the towel because once his attempt to get them to engage with one another didn't work he went for a "good enough" debate-- instead of being a tougher moderator.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 05:29 am
@rosborne979,

How reasonable and sane:

Quote:
I really wish they would sponsor a "Discussion" instead of a "Debate" sometime. I would be interested in seeing how candidates from different sides of the aisle attempt to work with each other to solve certain issues.

This would require egos to be left behind, the competition to be dropped, both sides peeling away all the layers of resentment they've built up over this ridiculous race.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 06:49 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Quote:
This would require egos to be left behind, the competition to be dropped, both sides peeling away all the layers of resentment they've built up over this ridiculous race.

You're right. How silly of me Smile

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:43 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
It was baffling to me as well. Maybe he was trying to break Obama's stride.
barackman28

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 03:22 pm
@littlek,
"break his stride"? What does that mean? Did you ever think that perhaps McCain does not really respect Senator Obama because he is a minority?
littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 03:35 pm
@barackman28,
Um, noooo.... that was a stretch!

If you are trying to debate someone face to face and they refuse to look at you, you, I expect you have to divert considerable brain time to figuring out how to handle it.
barackman28

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 04:04 pm
@littlek,
Senator Obama, you must remember, was the President of the Harvard Law Review. He was involved in debates with people who were far more intelligent than McCain. He may have spent five seconds of "brain time" as you say figuring out how to handle it. He has been in more intellectual debates than McCain has despite the fact that McCain is so much older.

You really should read Senator Obama's books and you would understand that he would not have needed very much brain time to handle McCain. He learned that long long ago as a black man in a racist society.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 04:08 pm
@barackman28,
The real comparison comes from knowing that McCain tried his damndest to belittle Obama, the superior brain and answerer during the debate. What blah blah blah doesn't understand, blah blah blah....really didn't answer any of the questions posed, because he only repeated what he's been saying on the campaign trail. Many will of course miss this simple comparison.
barackman28

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The real comparison is that McCain is probably a closet racist!
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:39 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
<McCain didn't make eye contact because he detests Obama. McCain also did not use the phrase "middle class" once in the entire debate. McCain wishes he were spending time comfortably with his financial equals, rather than having to talk with Barack Obama about people who don't matter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 08:14 pm
@Miklos7,
Actually, it was not too difficult to see why McCain never looked at Obama from his "Obama doesn't understand ...blah blah blah...." statements. When somebody knows they are lying, it's difficult to look the person in the eye about whom they are lying about. (A little amateur psycho analysis.)
0 Replies