Fried onions. Do tell.

djjd62

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:44 pm
my grandfather was a big fan of spanish onions

he grew his own, and would take a big onion, slice it into rings, and make raw onion sandwiches with sharp old cheddar cheese on rye
ehBeth

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:44 pm
@msolga,
I need to find a way to link the onion soup discussion to this thread.

Onion central!
ossobuco

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:47 pm
@Foxfyre,
I don't know about onion for sure, but I know Penzey's has garlic in many jarred forms, including granulated garlic, and suspect they might do granulated onion sans the salt, if that matters.

I use granulated garlic once in a while, generally last minute stuff. I'll miss it when it runs out.
ehBeth

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:48 pm
@djjd62,
throw a sardine into the middle of that sandwich and you'll have my late uncle's fav

hamburger and I went over to check on his brother and sister-in-law when they had Hong K0ng flu - Chally was sitting in the kitchen, cutting up thick slices of raw onion to put on his sardine/rye bread sandwich <shudder>
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Don't know how much salt is actually in onion salt. It tastes way more oniony than salty to me, but we don't need to dodge salt though I do try not to overdo it. It doesn't take much sprinkled on those frying potatos/onions to give them a wonderful special flavor.
msolga

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:51 pm
@djjd62,
Oh, that sounds good, djjd!

I might check out growing my own, too.
0 Replies

mismi

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
My husbands Grandaddy use to eat a raw onion before he ate his dinner in the Spring. Apparently the cows ate the wild onions and made the milk taste like onions. So he took care of the problem by eating the onion so he wouldn't taste it in the milk. Yuck.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Reminds me of Roberta's favourite, delicious onion soup! Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:25 pm
indian style onion fritters are boss!
ossobuco

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:38 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I know Roberta's onion soup - link, must give link -
but don't know dtom's indian onion fritter things..
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I need to find a way to link the onion soup discussion to this thread.

Onion central!

Oven-fried onion rings as croutons for topping the onion soup. Mmmmmm mmmm mmmm mmm mmmmm.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I don't know about onion for sure, but I know Penzey's has garlic in many jarred forms, including granulated garlic, and suspect they might do granulated onion sans the salt, if that matters.

I use granulated garlic once in a while, generally last minute stuff. I'll miss it when it runs out.

About a year ago I bought a 3 pound bag of dehydrated onions and a 1 pound bag of granulated garlic from Bulk Foods. I save huge gobs of money now by making my own powdered onion and powdered garlic with it. About once a month, I just grind up a fresh batch of the powdered versions and fill up my seasoning jars. The versions in the grocery stores are about 3 times as expensive as what I produce with these. I also use the granulated garlic with peppercorns to make my own versions of garlic pepper. I do the same with dehydrated lemon peel and now have lemon pepper whenever I want.
Butrflynet

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I met Michael via Orkut almost 5 years ago in one of the cooking communities there. He was just starting his website then and needed help with some recipes. It has really expanded and grown in popularity since then.
ossobuco

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
@Butrflynet,
Listening, butryflynet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
I don't follow it, but when I see it, I invariably think, yes...
Got to put that in my flog list.
ossobuco

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Butrfly, I posted something from the site some time ago (two years?) and remember Jespah liking the site. Smacks self, I have to look at it more.
I remember it for the sanity.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
Aldistar's thread on onion dip
http://able2know.org/topic/111998-1

Kev's thread on onion rings
http://able2know.org/topic/81724-1

Roberta's surgery thread where onion soup mania broke out
http://able2know.org/topic/103192-34

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 09:45 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

my grandfather was a big fan of spanish onions

he grew his own, and would take a big onion, slice it into rings, and make raw onion sandwiches with sharp old cheddar cheese on rye

Dad did this too: slice of spanish onion, sharp cheddar, rye bread and the secret ingredient -- APPLE BUTTER! Yummm...
0 Replies

alex240101

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
Now I need an onion.
ehBeth

Tue 30 Sep, 2008 03:04 pm
@alex240101,
Whaddya mean? there are no onions in your house!

I think I'm almost as afraid of running out of onions as I am of running out of tp Laughing