Fried onions. Do tell.

ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:19 pm
@Intrepid,
Maybe we could just start with an Ontario Onion A2K get-together.

It'd certainly be a new spin on A2K-fests.
JPB

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:22 pm
@ehBeth,
For a special treat my mother used to make herself a fried onion sandwich. Her grease of choice was bacon fat. From a kid standpoint it smelled pretty good but none of us were interested in trying any and she wasn't all that interested in sharing her special treat.

'nother story... my dad did a lot of special event catering. He did things like boat shows, garden shows... convention center type of stuff where he ran the concession. Around 11:00 in the morning he would put a huge pile of onions on the grill and then wink. By 11:15 we were selling lunch. There's just something about the smell of grilled onion that makes you want to eat.
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Is that "fests" or "feasts?"
dyslexia

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Fried onions as an ingredient in dip? with dip? on dip?
I make a dip using fried fresh bunching onions, sour cream and a tin of diced clams.
ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:26 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
There's just something about the smell of grilled onion

Set's pretty much figgered out that I'll overlook almost anything if I can smell onions cooking. It's kind of embarrassing. For some women it's diamonds or flowers. For me, it's onions.

It could also be grated onions for latkes. The combo of grated potatoes and onions.

<thud>
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Is that "fests" or "feasts?"

fests
ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I've realized that pretty much every A2K get-together has involved a meal or more. The A2K feastival.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:29 pm
@dyslexia,
Bunching onions? green onions? scallions? something different?
JTT

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:29 pm
@Intrepid,
Ya can't beat a Walla Walla Sweet onion sandwich. Fresh brown bread, fresh butter, Walla Walla cut pretty thick and salt and pepper.
ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:33 pm
@JTT,
That Walla Walla sandwich is raw onion? Straight up? Is the Walla Walla one of the onions that's as sweet as an apple?

My uncle used to love raw onion and sardine sandwiches.
boomerang

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:33 pm
One Thanksgiving I made an onion custard where I sauteed the onions for several hours then mixed it in an eggy thing and baked it. It was delicious. I wonder what happened to that recipe........
dyslexia

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:36 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Bunching onions? green onions? scallions? something different?
bunching onions are like green onions but "bunch" like garlic bulbs that you just break apart as you would gloves of garlic.
ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:36 pm
@boomerang,
ooh, sounds good

Canajun Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away. <hint hint>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:38 pm
@dyslexia,
My walking onions "bunch". I'd never heard that terminology. Ta very much.
JPB

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:38 pm
@boomerang,
yummm!!!!
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Yup, EhBeth, a good one is as sweet as an apple. As a matter of fact, I was initially gonna say that in my post. I've had excellent Vidalias but I've never had one that comes anywhere close to a Walla Walla.
JTT

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:40 pm
@dyslexia,
I've never seen them either, Dys. Are the bulbs tiny like, I guess they're called scallions or are they big bulbs?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

My walking onions "bunch". I'd never heard that terminology. Ta very much.
the nice thing is , when you pull up a bunch, you peal off one and replant it and get another bunch in a few months. I do this year around and so always have fresh onions.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:52 pm
In Germany we used to start the fall season with Federweisser (freshly made wine) and onion cake (similar to quiche lorraine).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:54 pm
@JTT,
Thanks JTT. I'll have to see if I can find a Walla Walla up here to try.