margo

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:56 pm
What about Tarte Lyonnaise:
http://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/-3whFPIFw7gI-S_vUBJJQw/l
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Here is a deliciously looking recipe for Walla Walla onion dip.
http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/?p=61
boomerang

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:00 pm
I'll second the Walla Walla onion superiority. They are great!

There's a little restaurant chain up here called Burgerville that serves Walla Walla onion rings in season. Ohhhhhh mannnnn.....

It's the only fast food place I know of that rotates it's menu according to what is locally in season.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
Shocked that looks sooooo good

thanks CJ
CalamityJane

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Doesn't it? I wish I could have that - I am sooo hungry now!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 05:55 am
America's Test Kitchen has an oven-friend onion ring recipe that is to die for when onions are at their peek. They're breaded with crushed saltine crackers and potato chips. I like them better then the usual deep-fat fried onion rings. You don't get the off tastes from all the other foods cooked in the same fat and they're every bit as crispy as the fryer ones.

A friend has it all layed out on his website with photos of the techniques.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/176/Oven-Fried-Onion-Rings

mismi

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:35 am
@Intrepid,
I like my onions chopped into rings and saute'd in a little olive oil, butter and balsalmic vinegrette, pinch of sugar so they get nice and caramelized. I saute' chicken that have been marinated in olive oil and balsalmic and then I take whole wheat tortillas, and spread plain yogurt I have grated onion into. I put the onions, the chicken and a sprinkle of shredded provolone and wrap it up and YUM! it is good.

I also like to just saute' them in butter and then put cheese on top and serve them with grilled chicken...

love those onions too.
ossobuco

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 08:09 am
@Butrflynet,
Your friend has cookingforengineers? I really like that website!

And that recipe looks good and makes sense.
Foxfyre

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 09:21 am
I love fried liver smothered in fried onion--also hamburger patties. To eat onion straight, prefer it stewed and seasoned.

Favorite recipe--about two thirds fairly thinly sliced potatoes to one third onion - liberally seasoned with onion salt as it cooks- sauteed and turned in small amount of oil until potatoes and onions are done through and at least most are brown and crispy around the edges. Serve immediately. Yum.

We are also very fond of breaded and fried okra and/or zuchinni and/or summer squash but have this sparingly as it isn't supposed to be all that healthy.

ehBeth

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
That looks interesting. I'm not much of a bread-er, but I do happen to have some unsalted saltines downstairs. And onions, there are always onions here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
@mismi,
Mismi, it sounds like you're making extra healthy Italian-style wraps. Yum-mo, as RR would say.

Sugar? aren't the onions you get sweet already?
ehBeth

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:31 pm
@Foxfyre,
I'm going to need more information on "stewed onions". Nevah hoid of such a thing.

and onion salt ... what's that?

mismi

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
They are but it seems that pinch of sugar speeds it along - in my mind anyway - and I have tried it without the sugar too...but I like the sweetness of the added sugar in the onions in contrast to the yogurt ...if that makes sense. I am sure we could do without it - but it is just a pinch - probably about a 1/4 tsp were I to measure it.

Love Rachel Ray
mismi

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:38 pm
@mismi,
I think onion salt is a mix of salt and onion powder...they do the same thing to garlic.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Big onion fan here, too! (And garlic, and ... Wink)
I like the brown variety, spring onions & have also developed a liking for the purple, or "Spanish" variety, for when a gentler, more subtle onion-y taste is needed ....
Foxfyre

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:39 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm going to need more information on "stewed onions". Nevah hoid of such a thing.

and onion salt ... what's that?

You can just stew (cook in boiling water) or steam onions until tender as you would any vegetable. Salt, pepper or use other seasoning to taste. I especially enjoy whole or half peeled onions dropped in with the pot roast for the last 20-30 minutes. Makes the roast yummier and the onions yummy too.

Onion salt is called Onion Salt and is a bottled seasoning (onion powder and salt) you usually can find in the spices section of the grocery store along with salt, pepper, garlic salt, celery salt etc. You can use it for all sorts of things but I use it mostly for the friend potato/onion stuff I described. Onion salt is the only seasoning I add and it is plenty.
djjd62

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:40 pm
love fried onions, anywhere from lightly sauteed to almost burnt, caramelized

on a cheeseburger or with liver, mmmmmm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:41 pm
@mismi,
I made a version of Rachael's Monte Cristo the other day. Omigawd, sooo gawd.

(it was her tex-mex version, with sauteed onion in the middle Laughing )
mismi

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Love those sammiches....

0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 04:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
Most of the roasts I make have root veggies underneath 'em. Potatoes, onions, carrots, turnips ... yum

Not sure about that onion salt - I don't like much salt in my life. Maybe I could just grate some onion in where a recipe calls for onion salt. I thought it might be like the dehydrated garlic pellets I found at the health food store - looks like salt, but it's garlic. A tiny bit of it goes a lonnnnnnnng way.