Fried onions. Do tell.

Builder

Sun 7 May, 2017 05:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
If a BBQ is a men-only gig, then the menu is simple; a huge pile of beer-soaked onions, and beef.

Another Aussie fave is beef sausage and fried onion, on a buttered slice of bread. You often see charity orgs out front of Bunnings (our hardware megachain) selling sausages on bread. Staple diet for some. American mustard, tomato sauce, and bbq sauce on the side.
0 Replies

chirchri

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:39 am
@CalamityJane,
Looks great
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 15 May, 2017 03:05 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

liver and onions! another winner!

Just add pork and you've got faggots.

https://ui1.assets-asda.com/g/v5/139/482/5000187139482_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Here's a recipe for those brave, (or foolish,) enough to give it a try.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2552644/faggots-with-onion-gravy
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 15 May, 2017 04:59 am
@Builder,
yeh US style "chain" burgers are kinda lame. I enjoy the styles they sell at corner restaurants where they will "Mix in" other ingredients into the meat. Ive had the caramelized onion with jalepeno mixed in at the "spready Oak" or the moist egg and onion burgers they serve at the shore.
The best burgers are made as a signature dish at smaller restaurants.

Even 5 guys has begun to add ingredients into the meat. OF course the Bcon burgers are still a big treat for me especially with caramelized onions and mushrooms
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 15 May, 2017 09:06 am
Just found this long-standing thread. I think Beth likes onions !

I'll confess to the same taste in that matter. Sautéed onions, preferably the sweet ones (Vidalia's are best) add wonderful flavor to most meat dishes (though I've had a lifelong distaste for liver) and many other dishes as well, many well described by previous posters here.

I've also found that a generous addition of sautéed onions (cut up small) add wonderful flavor to a serving of white rice (not the stick type).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Mon 15 May, 2017 03:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Do you do fried onions?

Quite often. Sometimes all on their own nicely fried in a butter, I add seasoning later- sometimes.

I need to see them and enjoy them sometimes well done, other times with a good crunch still there (just 3 shakes past raw).

Quote:
Do you love some other veggie beyond common sense?

I think you may have heard about me and butternut squash. I can't get enough of it and become irritable if the locals don't have it.
However, I stop short of saying it's beyond common sense. Three pounds every week seems reasonable.
ehBeth

Fri 6 Oct, 2017 02:34 pm
@Sturgis,
onions, garlic, peppers and potatoes are schmoring away nicely right now

can't decide if I want to have anything with them

__

saw a great idea the other day - butternut squash fries! I'm going to be making those soon
0 Replies

Angelaleonard

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 06:14 am
@ehBeth,
I just love onions..and its smell is so awesome
farmerman

Sun 29 Oct, 2017 04:27 am
@Angelaleonard,
is it a bot or what?
farmerman

Sun 29 Oct, 2017 04:30 am
@farmerman,
I think wveryone knows my feelings about fried onions specially when accompanied by similrly cooked muhrooms. Lotsa UUUU -goddam- - MOMMY, KnowadImean Vern?
Builder

Wed 8 Nov, 2017 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
When I had a gig preparing simple meals for tenant tradesmen, I'd cook whole mushrooms, flat-top down until golden, then slice through the stem, and almost through the crown, so they could be opened up to cook the rest of it to perfection from the cut side down. Reduced the workload of turning, and resulted in a very moist and tasty mushroom.

I grew a batch of them this year, but it was just out of curiosity.
ehBeth

Sat 29 Dec, 2018 10:04 am
laughing

onions have come up in my FB memories again

I post about them, take photos of them, think about them

is it verging on obsession yet?
farmerman

Sat 29 Dec, 2018 03:21 pm
@Builder,
what kind of mushrooms did you grow?
Theres an article on sauteed mushrooms in thi months Cooks Kitchen mag. It relies on first cooking the mushrooms in a very small amount of water before you add only about 1T oil /pound of uncooked shrooms.
Mushrooms dont overcook ad they just develop a deeper brown umami flavor. mixed with onion nd finished together makes a really tasty side dish or covering for pork or steak.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Sat 29 Dec, 2018 03:33 pm
@ehBeth,
As long as you aren't consuming several onions daily (raw, fried, sauteed, baked, broiled, microwaved, etc.) and of several types (red, yellow, vidalia, etc), you should be fine. Obsession arrives with the 6th or 7th plate (or platter) of the day.
0 Replies