Fried onions. Do tell.

Ceili

Thu 14 Jun, 2012 08:13 pm
@ehBeth,
If it's any consolation, I have never heard the term either.
Pumpernickel maybe... it's pretty brown.
ehBeth

Thu 14 Jun, 2012 08:24 pm
@Ceili,
http://www.aussie-true-blue-recipes.com/images/pumpernickel.jpg

I can't imagine it holding up under raw onion slices, but I guess it's possible
FOUND SOUL

Thu 14 Jun, 2012 08:39 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pictures+of+brown+bread&qpvt=pictures+of+brown+bread&FORM=IGRE

I can't down load the photos sorry, hope the link works.

Brown bread is basically made differently, it's basically a whole wheat bread, I don't know if you have Rye bread? Or Wholemeal, Grain bread.. That's basically what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bread

JTT

Thu 14 Jun, 2012 08:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
then you recommend eating them with brown bread - but you won't tell me what it is

It's like asking what milk is, or cheese, or hamburger.

Pretty much any bread that is brown. It can be whole wheat, 80% whole wheat, bought fresh, preferably hot from a bakery.

Quote:
your evasions are classic

You've gotta be blasted out of your brains to believe something like that, Beth. Look across the breakfast table for the king of evasions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 14 Jun, 2012 08:52 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
ok - so I look at Bing - it shows all kinds of different breads - that doesn't help (thanks for trying though)

we don't have something called wholemeal or grain bread or brown bread - rye comes in so many different formulations ... saying rye bread doesn't tell me anything about what kind of bread it is - other than one of the ingredients

it's as if someone had said - I eat my onions with cheese - what kind of cheese - there are so many types and naming conventions - if you're from a different part of the world - the terms are basically meaningless
FOUND SOUL

Fri 15 Jun, 2012 03:04 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
(thanks for trying though)

I'm trying.. Heard of that saying? Wink

Quote:
we don't have something called wholemeal or grain bread or brown bread - rye comes in so many different formulations

Really ? Shirt we are pushed to eat the stuff, white bread is flour, this shirt is wholesome, apparently, grains, are better for you.

Quote:
it's as if someone had said - I eat my onions with cheese - what kind of cheese - there are so many types and naming conventions - if you're from a different part of the world - the terms are basically meaningless

Totally get that. If you've never tried wholemeal or grain bread, I don't think you'll want it anyway.. It's IDK thick tasting, non appealing, Wik explains what's in it, the other link.. It's an equired taste I think..

I don't think you can ever, beat crisp sliced continental bread frankly.

ehBeth

Fri 15 Jun, 2012 06:07 am
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
If you've never tried wholemeal or grain bread, I don't think you'll want it anyway..

I don't think you can ever, beat crisp sliced continental bread frankly.

see, here's the thing - I could be eating what you call wholemeal right now - and not now it - since we use different words for things

same thing with "crisp, sliced continental bread". Continental bread is not a term I'm familiar with.

The egg and cheddar I'm having on (what we call) toasted light rye could be on something entirely different to what you'd think it is.

(I asked for brown bread at the little hole-in-the -wall that makes me breakfast once in a while. I got three puzzled looks.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 15 Jun, 2012 06:48 am
@ehBeth,
Mmmmmmmmmm......pumpernickel bread.......

I have gone mad for sprouted spelt and other grains bread. I can't eat wheat bread any more....makes me feel yuck. Thusly I have pretty much avoided bread for some years....occasionally breaking out. I can eat some wheat breads occasionally.

But the sprouted stuff...no salt, very heavy, delicious, some more than others. A slice will do me as a meal most days. Still can't eat too much, but I can eat some.
ehBeth

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 06:08 pm
@dlowan,
fried onions

<sigh>

just the best thing ever

had a posh lunch. couldn't think what I wanted for my evening meal.

fried onions.

http://www.pxleyes.com/images/contests/toppings/thumbs/fried-onions-4ce3ef73b7c9d.jpg

fried onions with scrambled egg on cracked wheat with salt/pepper/ketchup

as good as a fancy dancy meal

mmmmmmmmmmm

0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 06:23 pm
@ehBeth,
I love frid onions many ways,(How can I count them?)

1Fried in butter, lightly killed and served with tarragon and sauteed mushrooms

2Fried in butter and added , a teeny bit of worcestershire sauce and a bit o ketchup. Then et brown

3 Fried till brown and almost beginning to crisp (not quite though) served with small pieces of darkmeat chicken (like thighmeat)

4Fried in pork chop pan with pork chops. The flavor is sunk into the chops .

Oh yeh, I know fried onions.

I hate bloomin onions or batter fry onions, they are for lite beer swillin slobs
Builder

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:45 pm
@farmerman,
Have you tried fried onions caramelised with beer, Farmerman?

Fry as normal, and when still a little firm, heap them up, and pour beer onto them. Let the beer steam out, before tossing them over a couple of times, heap them up, and one more go with the beer and steaming thing.

Scrumptious.
ehBeth

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:49 pm
@Builder,
I've caramelized onions using balsamic vinegar (and a tidge of sugar).

I wonder if it would work with cider as well (hard or otherwise). If beer and vinegar work, you'd think cider would work as well - and I think onions and apples are a brilliant match.
Builder

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:51 pm
@ehBeth,
It's always worth a try, ehBeth.

A friend of mine always soaks his onions overnite in apple cider vinegar, and they come out caramelised too.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
I favor the sweet Vidalia and other similar onions. However I believe that onions of almost any variety, slow fried with garlic, salt & pepper and a touch of vinegar (for me in olive oil) until they are transparent and just starting to caramelize, add a unique, delicious quality to almost any meat or pasta sauce , or, ... even alone. I like them in rice as well. Indeed, like ebeth, I like thm almost anyway.
ossobuco

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:07 pm
@georgeob1,
Now I'm motivated to try caramelizing with balsamic. (Russ Parsons fan here, but his instructions take a while).
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 10:52 pm
@ehBeth,
caramelized are not , technically, fried, but yes, Ive caramelized using Yoders Cider or balsamic. Serving a nice pat of fresh poached salmon on top of a bed of caramelized onion is delish.

Ill have to try the beer as a new way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 27 Oct, 2012 02:27 am
The girl fried up some a them onions last night, before making herself an om-you-let. When the little dog and i came back from our adventures several hours later, the house still smelled of fried onions. Beats the hell out of airwick.
Butrflynet

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:28 am
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/21342_501956793162475_1573859944_n.jpg
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:07 pm
@Setanta,
A friend ran a takeaway burger/fish shop at Bribie Island.

Told me that when things get slow, he chops up a heap of onions, and starts frying them up.

Shop starts filling up within minutes, he reckons.
ehBeth

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:11 pm
@Builder,
that would definitely pull me into a resto

I love the taste, the smell makes me crazy happy.

I fried up some onions and turkey bacon the other night, cooked up some radiatore, stirred the onions and turkey bacon shreds into the pasta along with some goat cheese/garlic/herbs. So delicious. I'm going to bake the remnants tomorrow.