Fried onions. Do tell.

Builder

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Okay, now you've given me a hunger, ehBeth.

I'm off to the grill.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 30 Oct, 2012 07:08 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
A friend ran a takeaway burger/fish shop at Bribie Island.

Told me that when things get slow, he chops up a heap of onions, and starts frying them up.

Shop starts filling up within minutes, he reckons.

I believe it. I've learned not to trust what people call burgers outside the U.S., but i absolutely love fish and chips. I'd be one of the first in line. My landlady in Ireland had run a hotel in the U.S. for fifteen years before returning to Ireland. I talked her into offering real American-style burgers at lunch. She's have freshly ground beef delivered, then grill onions and mix them into the beef before cooking the burgers. In a matter of days, the pub was full for lunch every day.
ehBeth

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 08:01 pm
onions

there should be a song about the glory of onions

I've got walking onions in the front yard. Checked them today. They're happy.

Had pork loin with a smidge of fried onions, sliced thinly, on salad tonight. So good. but honestly, I could have just had a plate of melted onions.
dlowan

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 12:48 am
@ehBeth,
You have perambulant onions?!?!

We got hysterical at a restaurant the other night when the fashion for over described food led to the chicken being described as "nomadic".

Nofuckingmadic.
dlowan

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 12:51 am
@dlowan,
I do love me some French onion soup.

Here's a thing though: whenever I serve it at a large dinner party my toaster goes boonta and burns the toast..... It's automatic and never does it any other time. It's some weird onion soup toastergeist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 02:32 am
Whenever i smell fried onions in the house, i know that The Girl will be happy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 03:26 am

Other night I made slow fired onions and did up some HOT Italian sausages. Mrs F got some crunchy Italian Rolls and we had some damn good sausage sammiches.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:57 am
@dlowan,
http://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/

I didn't know they were a thing other than in my yard when this thread started.

http://bygl.osu.edu/sites/default/files/cimage2012_06n4560_w720.jpg

farmerman

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 10:38 am
@ehBeth,
Egyptian onion is likebamboo, dill or Jerusalem Artichoke. Once you plant a single bulb or fail to dig up a single corm, youve got a filed of veggies on your land
ehBeth

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 10:53 am
@farmerman,
or in my case ... a driveway edged in onions

a neighbour apparently threw one over the fence and suddenly I had a row of onions marching down the driveway
farmerman

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 10:56 am
@ehBeth,
I like the egyptian onion tops. They are sweet and a little spicey, kinda like" jalapeno- shallots".
ehBeth

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 11:01 am
@farmerman,
they're nice lightly pickled
farmerman

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 11:11 am
@ehBeth,
yep, when I drank, I enjoyed a GIBSON made with our own Egytian oniaons pickled in a spicey rice vinegar
0 Replies

margo

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 12:25 pm
I've never heard of walking onions.

Mine just sort of lie there waiting to be sacrificed for a good cause - or a sausage sambo!

Even the onions are lazy in this household!
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:33 pm
@ehBeth,
I have nomadic little flower bushy thingies with tiny white flower heads. They felt the garden was not right for them, so they've walked all over the paths. I guess they head back into the garden beds now? They just seem to want to be where they aren't .

My parsley is extremely nomadic. It's everywhere now .
farmerman

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:47 pm
@dlowan,
are we smoking something other than ciggy's
dlowan

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
Nope.

Not ciggies either.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 7 May, 2017 03:06 pm
Just visiting the thread again, as I'm set to caramelize some spanish onions the old Russ Parsons way. It's warm in the house as the cooler hasn't been started up yet, but I'll live..

Anyway, it's one of my saver threads... to savour.
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 7 May, 2017 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I've learned not to trust what people call burgers outside the U.S.

Ya know, Maccas and Hungry Jacks (Burger King) operated in Australia for the longest time, before realising we didn't much like US-style burgers. They still sell those, but realised some fantastic profits when they introduced Aussie-style burgers, with black Angus beef, loads of caramelised onions, and fresh salad, with a choice of sauces (though not my fave Worcesteshire).
ossobucotemp

Sun 7 May, 2017 05:30 pm
@Builder,
Sounds good..