Obsession: That creepy DVD in my morning paper

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm
Did anyone else get the DVD "Obsession: Radical Islam's WAr Against The West" along with their morning paper?

I haven't watched it so I'll suspend any criticism other than to say it was kind of a creepy thing to find amid the Best Buy and Target ads. The paper did run an article in the Metro section about why they decided to allow this paid advertisement and, while I do agree with their reasoning, that doesn't take away the ick factor.

Did anyone else find this little surprise mixed in with their coupons for pet food and cold remedies?

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 01:07 pm
you americans get all the cool stuff
boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 01:16 pm
@djjd62,
Interesting that you would say that.... the producer/co-writer is actually a Canadian. I look up some info:

Quote:
Clarion Fund
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Clarion Fund is a nonprofit organization founded in 2006 based in New York City whose mission, according to its website, is "to educate Americans about issues of national security," with its main focus on what it calls "the most urgent threat of radical Islam."[1] The organization was founded by Israeli-Canadian film producer Raphael Shore[2].

In September 2008, the group gained attention by distributing, with the aid of the Endowment for Middle East Truth[3], free copies of the film Obsession: Radical Islam’s War Against the West, produced and co-written by Shore, by mail and in newspaper supplements.[4]. The Fund has reportedly sent 28 million DVDs to at least 70 newspapers in swing states to place at the doorstep of newspaper subscribers.[1][2]

According to Clarion Fund's incorporation papers, it is based as the same address as Aish Hatorah, an Israeli organization.[5] The three founders of The Clarion Fund are or were full-time employees of Aish HaTorah.[6] Raphael Shore, the leader of The Clarion Fund is also a full-time employee of Aish HaTorah.[7] The Clarion Fund has collaborated with pro-Israel media watch organization HonestReporting in the production of its films. HonestReporting originally was a project of the Aish Hatorah organization.[8]

Critics have accused the Clarion Fund, through its distribution of the Obsession film, for misleadingly portraying Islam as a threatening religion bent on the destruction of Western civilization, interspersing untruthful and incendiary commentary with images of Nazis and suicide bombing indoctrination.[9][10][11] Others have called the film 'award winning' and 'required viewing'[12]

The Associated Press reports that Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a civil liberties and advocacy group for Muslims in North America, has asked for the Federal Election Commission to investigate the Clarion Fund's DVD distribution claiming that it was an attempt to influence the 2008 US President Election. As evidence of inappropriate political bias on the part of The Clarion Fund, AP cited Patriot News of Harrisburg, Pa. reporting "that a Clarion Fund Web site ran a pro-McCain article before it attracted notice and was taken down."[13]
djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 01:24 pm
interesting, i'm sure it's available on a conspiracy site somewhere, i'll have to look it up
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:28 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer- I got the DVD, and I watched it. One thing that it did emphasize was that the film was discussing the radical element of Islam...................not the majority of Muslims who are peaceful and hard working.

Yeah, the film had its agenda, and there were correlations between radical Islam and the Nazis.

Here is a clip that I found that was part of the DVD which illustrates the ties between Nazism and radical Islam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7GdviIsjQ

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:38 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks for your reply, Phoenix! Maybe it isn't quite as creepy as it seemed. It just felt so out of place and the newspaper's disclaimer about it didn't set my mind at ease.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to watch it but I will watch the clip you posted!
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer- I too was a bit taken aback, when I saw the DVD nestled amongst my coupons for soap powders.

As with most films with agendas, there is a lot of drama, a play on emotions, but I suspect that most of what was said was true. It's just when you see it all together................................
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Here is a clip that I found that was part of the DVD which illustrates the ties between Nazism and radical Islam.[/b][/color]

There are enough sources on many history sites online and in books since years (actually, the protocol of Hitler's meeting with mufti Mohammed Amin al-Husseini was first printed by the Nazis in 1943, reprinted later even in history schoolbooks)...

On another note: one really would be surprised if Hitler as someone who wanted and tried to eradicate the Jews worldwide wouldn't have ties with others who wanted the same.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
The price for the dvd at amazon is $14.99, but as it is noted on the movie's homepage

http://www.tinypic.ca/images/9ynxnpdlcl7c9ex0p9ec.jpg

Quote:
One Newspaper Refuses to Distribute 'Islam Terror' DVD

By Greg Mitchell

Published: September 15, 2008 10:00 PM ET

NEW YORK As explored here this past weekend, the Clarion Fund has paid dozens of newspapers across the country -- almost solely in "swing" election states -- and The New York Times to distribute the "Islam terror" DVD "Obsession" with their home delivery packages. Among the larger cities where this has taken place: Miami, Philadelphia, Denver and Pittsburgh.

An estimated 28 million copies have been distributed so far, also through the mails and other magazines. An article at the group's site, www.radicalislam.org, all but endorsed John McCain this past week, then was pulled down.

But at least one newspaper turned away the money and refused to distribute it, calling it "divisive."

It's the Greensboro News & Record in North Carolina.. The longtime editor, John Robinson, explained his reasoning in a column yesterday.

"Many newspapers across the country distributed a controversial DVD today about Islam, titled 'Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West.'....We did not distribute it. I was not involved in the decision; it was an advertising call, in keeping with advertising policies.

"I asked our publisher about it. He said it was divisive and plays on people's fears and served no educational purpose. The revenue it would have brought in was not a motivator.

"As I've said on other occasions about news decisions, just because you can publish doesn't mean you should."
Source: Editor & Publisher
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
"I asked our publisher about it. He said it was divisive and plays on people's fears and served no educational purpose."

I disagree with John Robinson. I think that there is a faction that is attempting to wage war with the west. I think that it is important for people to understand what is happening.

I don't suggest that we see a terrorist behind every door. But it is important for us to understand the history of radical Islamic terrorism. I think that in the interest of "political correctness", there are many people who won't acknowledge, or even consider, the scope of the threat.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
But it is important for us to understand the history of radical Islamic terrorism.[/b][/color]

Indeed. And this dvd truly doesn't help doing so.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I think we need to invent spam filters for our brains.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 08:14 am
Here is the reason these DVDs are so scary.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/09/27/ddn092608evacweb.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=16
0 Replies