So... are you watching the debate tomorrow?

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:20 am
How many people are going to tune in to tomorrows debate... assuming McCain stays away and Obama shows up. Are you interested to see what happens?

I also wonder what McCain will be doing tomorrow at 9PM. Do you think he will stay out of sight while the presidential debate is on, or will see a staged photo-op or other public stunt?

This is going to be fun!

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:21 am
@ebrown p,

Obama is happy that the debate has been postponed because he is afraid to face McCain.

McCain invited Obama to join him in ten different town hall style meetings and Obama refused to participate in any of the meetings.

Obama is afraid to face McCain.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:23 am
@ebrown p,
This is crazy, innit?

Do you think McCain will show up after all?

I have no idea what Obama will do if McCain just plain doesn't show up. Maybe he'll do his half of the debate -- Lehrer will ask questions, Obama will answer them.

Gail Collins suggests bringing Bob Barr in for Obama to debate. Smile

Crazy crazy.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:24 am
I have to work but I'll just ask the Culligan man how it went and get the fair and balanced report.
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:29 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
BPB, you cracked me up. I snarfed my coffee on the monitor.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:58 am
@ebrown p,
no -- I won't be watching. Ok, maybe I'll watch for five minutes just to see who shows up. If the first five minutes hook me in I'll stay a bit longer. Who knows -- if I discover it's more than politics as usual I might watch the entire thing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:28 am
Yes I'll watch. It will be Obama's first State of the Union address! Very Happy
rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:30 am
@ebrown p,
I'm going to watch. I love political theater. Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:32 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

This is crazy, innit?

Do you think McCain will show up after all?

I have no idea what Obama will do if McCain just plain doesn't show up. Maybe he'll do his half of the debate -- Lehrer will ask questions, Obama will answer them.

Gail Collins suggests bringing Bob Barr in for Obama to debate. Smile

Crazy crazy.

McCain will show. This whole thing was nothing more then a stupid stunt.

If he doesn't show, his candidacy is basically over. People like the debates. It's been pointed out that the debates rival the Super Bowl for viewership. McCain can't just throw a hissy fit and cancel one with no repercussions to his campaign.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:35 am
@eoe,
Ooh, nice one!

You know what though, I'm starting to think that something will be resolved re: the bailout today, and then McCain will say "OK, it's resolved, now we can go back to the debate." He can try to claim credit for having resolved it, and meanwhile he's pushed the (by all accounts disastrous) Couric/ Palin interview out of the headlines.

This post by Marc Ambinder is what got me thinking that things may be resolved soon:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/scrambling_toward_a_compromise.php

Excerpt:

Quote:
That's why they're scrambling to have a compromise in place before the 4:00 pm ET meeting with President Bush at the White House. If they do, then they only need worry about McCain's claiming credit for the sense of urgency, which would be inaccurate but hard to disprove. The fact is that, by 2pm yesterday, the House and Senate Democrats had settled their most important differences, the White House had caved on CEO pays, and the two sides were coming close to dealing with the bailout's oversight mechanism, its posture toward homeowners, and whether taxpayers would get ownership stakes in taken-over companies. Then McCain airdrops in --well, he's not actually in DC yet, so it was a virtual airdrop -- and it compresses the timeline even more.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:07 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
You know what though, I'm starting to think that something will be resolved re: the bailout today, and then McCain will say "OK, it's resolved, now we can go back to the debate."

I think they will resolve it today (or early tomorrow) because congress wants to go home for the season (priorities are priorities after all).

I predict McCain will be at the debate because the bill will be "behind us". Obama will trounce McCain on substance at the debate, but nobody will care because McCain is a veteran and a nice guy.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:07 am
McCain's group is trying to borrow the wire system Bush used in last years debates. Then they're going to stand up a scarecrow and operate it from Washington. Ah well, same diff.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:21 am
@sozobe,
I just watched her Katie Couric interview. Hilarious. Is this her second interview? She's seems

a) more comfortable having gotten the first one out of the way
b) less hostile than she was to Charlie Gibson
c) still a nut-job
d)still a parrot for mcCain
and
e) Her declaration of "getting back to ya" with the answers is too much.

Unfortunately, the voting public will probably view Palin's answer to the last question as an example of a breath of fresh air.

She is performing her duties very well-- she's decorative and I've heard she won over the leaders (all of them men) she met with at the UN. As I said, she is performing her duties as expected.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:23 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
BPB, you do fit the Culligan man's customer profile... they prey on the ignorant.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:36 am
McCain made a big deal ot of cancelling the debate until the economic bail-out fiasco blows over. Well, truth be told, he's been absent from Congress and he's not voted more than once in the last 6 months. What a phoney!

"Obama rebuffed his GOP rival on the debate proposal, saying the next president needs to "deal with more than one thing at once."
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:39 am
I will watch the debate - even if it's solo. It'll provide Obama a national audience to provide his ideas on the economy and security. It will also provide Americans his views on other important issues that seems to evade most Americans. I fear that most voters have already decided who they will vote for, so that may not change much, but those people leaning Obama needs to see and hear how intelligent he is over McCain who has been flip-flopping on all the major issues.

It's a win-win for Obama whether McCain shows up or not.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:47 am
@cicerone imposter,

Not so fast!

If McCain is busy in Washington doing the peoples work he can send Palin in his place.

Palin will give Obama the debate of his life Cool

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:20 am
@H2O MAN,
Yeah, it'll be a comedy where Palin will repeat her answers while Obama actually answers questions directly.

It's obvious you haven't been listening to Palin speak. She can talk for five minutes and not say anything, but repeats nothings without any real answers.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but .....

0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman
feel sorry.
If I had posted a response like that of yours I would have been castigated for my faulty EngliBUSH beside with my Gandhi cum Karlmarx dreams..
This old guy had adopted a girl from Bangladesh and married a bewitching social worker after leaving the first wife.
Is it is your country's compassionate, CHRISTAN CONSERVATIVE culture.

Let me not make this puny warrior who wish to piss once in Whitehouse before his final farewell..
USA is not a pathetic barbaric country like xyz but a civilized one to make a better image of itself.
Come to Germany or go to india to learn about the word of presidenship.
0 Replies