Cat Puke, Dog Doo and other travails of pet ownership

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:24 pm
How much will you put up with before you call it quits? I will put up with almost anything but meanness: I had a 3 year old cat put down because he bit everyone and I was afraid of him. But I have put up with plenty of other stuff: broken treasures, permanently tangled yarn all over the house, shredded toilet paper and (YES) the dreaded cat piss. We have put tile in all over the house to eliminate the desire to piss on the carpet. What's your breaking point?

TTH

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:13 pm
@mags314772,
Hi mags314772 Very Happy

I will put up with a lot until I call it quits. I train my animals when they are small and get them socialized around people. I have put up with my dog chewing my answer sheets up that took months and many hours of research for a contest I was in. I felt like killing her, but I would never hurt her. I was mad for a little while and then just laughed. She is a dog after all. My breaking point would be if my dog bit someone for no reason.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:24 pm
@mags314772,
you put a cat down because it bit people!? why not give it to a shelter where it may have found someone not afraid of it?
mags314772

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@littlek,
It didn't just bite people; it was completely antisocial. My dog was even afraid of it. It would puff up to three times its size, growl like a tiger. This was no ordinary unfriendly cat. There are things worse than death, and I was afraid if I turned it into a shelter someone would adopt it, then abandon it to the streets, which is where I rescued it from.
TTH

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:22 pm
@mags314772,
Sounds to me like the cat was scared maybe?
mags314772

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:29 pm
@TTH,
This cat wasn't scared of anything or anybody. I picked him up as a tiny kitten off the street, fed him out of a silver dish, carried him around like a baby. When he matured, he became unmanageable and feral. I really had no viable alternative but to put him down, and my vet agreed with me. It was not a cavalier decision and I've never regretted it. I have had five cats since then, all lovely, and when they got old and sick, I mourned at having to put them down. I am not a meanie; far from it.
TTH

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:42 pm
@mags314772,
What was the vets opinion as to why your cat was acting that way? btw you don't come across as mean.
mags314772

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:55 pm
@TTH,
Oh good, because I'm such a softie where animals are concerned. The vet said, despite the fact that the cat was neutered, he behaved as a whole male and that was not likely to change. His feral behavior was inbred.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:38 pm
@mags314772,
Every dog we ever brought into the house, stayed there until death. There
is no breaking point for us. Once you take on the responsibility of an animal,
you have to see it through the end, in health and in sickness.
mags314772

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
I share your feelings. I take full responsibility for animals once I adopt them. I currently have three cats. One of them, a Maine Coon, is a delightful clown. He's my yarn spreader, toilet paper shredder, breakables breaker and all around baby doll. I can't imagine a breaking point with any of my animals.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:55 pm
@mags314772,
I was in a neighborhood with a cat like that, mags. Huge white thing, and deaf in both ears. It used to take naps in the middle of the sidewalk, perhaps hoping someone would get close enough to attack. I only knew one like that, but that was enough to know what you are talking about.
mags314772

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:56 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Roger.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:12 pm
@CalamityJane,
Just call me slow, I am starting to see the light Very Happy
0 Replies