We Finally Named Our Cats

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:50 pm
Big Puss keeps licking the genitals of little puss so his name?

Petophile

Little puss doesn't purr. Her name?

No purrpuss.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:07 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
We husband and I spent days thinking of names for our new kitten. Names from literature, music, and so on.

Finally just called her 'Rascal'. It fit.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:08 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Stinky approves...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:22 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
What did you name your kids?
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:59 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Sounds a little forced. A cats name should be short and punchy, and should fit the things personality or looks.

Petophile doesnt sound like it reads (you have to keep telling people that theres a T in there.

What the hell, theyre yours, I dont care if you screw em up socially, no skin off my ass.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:53 pm
@ebrown p,
what's it to you?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:54 pm
@farmerman,
they're indoor cats... they don't have to interact socially. they'll probably end up blogging and posting to forums in the dark....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:08 pm
on a side note.... one of the cats just used the box and it smells lik a mountain lion **** in the middle of the house.....DAMN!!!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:25 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Have to agree with farmerman.

The names are clever on paper, but it's hard to imagine they will hold up in practice.

"Hey, where are the cats?"

"Hey, where are Petophile and No Purrpuss?"

Chances are that within 24 hours of their naming, you were calling them "Peto" and "Nopurr,"
Which are not bad names, but you'll be left to explain their origins -- which will be a bit precious.

Cats don't really deserve names as much as they require identifiers: "Did you feed Peto?" "Do you think Nopurr is pregnant?"

If you have only one, "The Cat" serves perfectly well.

Dogs, on the other hand, deserve and require names, and they should be something the dog cannot be proud of.

If someone wants to get cute with a dog's name, they should buy an AKC registered purebred and devote their wit to it's registered name:

Our black lab's name was Logan. His registered name was Surrey's Dark Knight. ( The latter not so clever, but me and the boys are big comic book fans)

A dog needs a name you can play with, and render into nicknames like you would with a kid.

A cat? "The Cat" is all you need.

More than one cat? Stick to one syllabel (sp?) names (never more than two.)
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'll still call them puss and little puss... but they have proper names now as well..
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
So sayeth the dog people...

Stinky knows damn well when I use his full name (it includes Butth*le)
that he better pay attention. After that, he will need to watch out for projectile socks or rubber bands, depending on the offense.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
You can get some good ideas for cat names at this site. And, as a bonus, you can also learn why your cat hates you.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:51 pm
We have stuck to alcohol related names for our cats (Alize, Citron)...and car related names for our dogs (Porsche, Aston). We can keep this up for a few more pets I'm sure.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 07:01 pm
@maporsche,
I'm thinkin' if yer cats control yer dogs, you might be in trouble...

Shocked Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Rubbish!

Dogs will answer to anything - as long as you're paying them attention!

Cats, on the other hand, have their own distinctive names, and if you get them wrong, or confused, you're in big trouble!

No comment on the Bear family's names for their cats, though.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:50 am
@margo,
There's no winning.... either I call them puss 1 and 2 and catch **** for not being original... or they get clever names and no one approves...what can I do? Oh wait, I know what...i forgot to mention it was squinney who thought of these names....
Izzie

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:31 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
My brothers cat is called DB......... dogs bollocks...... whoda thunk that one up a?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:08 pm
I try to be sure our pets have a name before Hubby can have a shot at it. For instance he wants to name a dog "Arf". That's so I will stand at the front door shouting "Arf! Arf!" to call him in. (He has a sense of humor similar to Bear's)
0 Replies