Aren't the Repubs big state's rights folks?

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:26 pm
You've gotta read this. Is the McCain crew setting themselves up for a major October surprise?

Quote:

Round 2 Of McCain Troopergate Stall: Part Karl Rove, Part Laurel & Hardy

Rep Les Gara, Anchorage

Since Monday the McCain camp has stepped up its personal attacks against Alaskans. They've continued their D.C.-style tactics against neighbors in this small state. The game plan is to find an excuse to stop our Legislature's Troopergate investigation, and hide evidence McCain's folks really don't want to surface before November's election. It's been a little Karl Rove, and parts Laurel and Hardy. How else can you explain the following?

Friday the Attorney General's office promised state witnesses would comply with subpoenas the Legislature issued last week. Tuesday the Governor's Attorney General flip flopped, and announced that state witnesses wouldn't comply because, well, and I'm paraphrasing here - - he's changed his mind. And in what has to be an idea hatched after a 4th Martini at Chilkoot Charlies, Governor Palin's attorneys have filed a motion to dismiss the ethics claim she filed against herself two weeks ago. Yup. She really filed a complaint against herself. Tuesday she said she's discovered, after a thorough investigation of herself, that she's done nothing wrong. Does anyone know how to get a hold of Jon Stewart and Tina Fey?

It's silly season up here in the far north, but this week's moves are aimed at one thing: John McCain's effort to find cover for being disingenuous. See, before Governor Palin's nomination for the Republican VP spot, she did the honest thing. She admitted the evidence -- of roughly 20 contacts between her staff and husband with Public Safety officials, seeking the firing of Governor Palin's former brother-in-law -- might lead a reasonable person to the conclusion that the she misused her office to fire a state employee. So when Alaska's Republican-led Legislature called for an investigation, she did the honorable thing and said she and her staff would comply. She denies any wrongdoing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/les-gara/round-2-of-mccain-trooper_b_127101.html

[read on, the fun is just beginning]

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:38 pm
@JTT,
JTT, Let's face it; that's only one of many Laurel and Hardy actions by Palin as mayor and governor. Some of it has been coming out, but more digging will produce a whole lot more. Whether the media is up to the task is another issue.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:39 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

Speaking generally, we are more INDIVIDUAL rights folks.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:39 pm
Sorry, I started at the end, or more likely, as time passes, somewhere in the middle. Here's the start. It'll be interesting to see if the McCain campaign scum can handle an Alaskan fall.

Quote:
Karl Rove in Alaska? McCain's Spin and Interference With Bi-Partisan "Troopergate" Investigation

Politicians are good at spin. The McCain camp has brought a whole new level of it to our small state -- in what looks like an effort to show they can play the same Karl Rove-like political games that have haunted this country for the last 8 years. I like Governor Palin on a personal level. But I don't like what the McCain campaign is doing to our state. I don't like deception. And I don't like politics as usual.

Alaskans are starting to see evidence of a Karl Rove-like effort to stonewall what started as a non-controversial, bi-partisan "Troopergate" investigation. A little deception here, a few personal attacks there. And the kind of spin you see at an amusement park tilt-a-whirl station.

To get their way, and prevent sworn testimony from leaking out on what I suspect was probably a minor breach by Governor Palin, McCain's operatives have come to Alaska to add invective in a state where people generally get along. They've chosen to vilify: 1) one of the state's most respected public officials, Senator Hollis French; 2) the state's most respected law enforcement official, Walt Monegan; and 3) a highly respected former DA and Victims Rights advocate a legislative committee voted 12 - 0 to hire to conduct the investigation, Steve Branchflower.

It's the ghost of Karl Rove. Say something untrue enough times -- like that al-Qaeda is training with Saddam Hussein's help -- and people will believe it. Not this time. I'm not sure if I mentioned a few important facts.

Did I mention that no one ever attacked the Troopergate investigation by Alaska's Legislature -- started long before Governor Palin was placed on McCain's ticket -- until August 29? That was the day Governor Palin joined the McCain bid for the White House.

Did I mention that before the McCain camp got involved, the Governor stated of the Legislative investigation: "That being the route they choose, so be it. I'm happy to comply, to cooperate." (KTUU.com, July 24, 2008). She repeatedly stated she'd comply, and that it was the right thing to do.

Did I mention the personal attacks against our local public officials only started after Sen. McCain sent his flacks up to our small state on August 29? They came with a mission to make America believe a Republican-initiated investigation, started with a unanimous committee vote of eight Republicans and four Democrats, was a "partisan" plot. That's only a tough sell if people know the facts.

Did I mention they now claim the Legislature cannot legally proceed with an investigation into government misconduct (I thought Republicans didn't like attorneys who made frivolous arguments), and that they are threatening to to go to court to stop it? The Governor's attorneys started writing those letters on -- you guessed it -- August 29. Before then they agreed the investigation was proper.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/les-gara/karl-rove-in-alaska-mccai_b_126649.html

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

That's a good one, David. I guess that conservatives are the ones responsible for women's rights, ending segregation in the South, ...
dyslexia

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

David
all too often to the detriment of society at large
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:53 pm
@JTT,
In addition to disallowing gays and lesbians the equal rights of everybody else.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:56 pm
I hate to break it to you, but the state's rights argument was a charade intended to shrink the size of government and make what was left more easy to corrupt. The Right continually tried to force to the states parts of the public sector that the states can not manage, either because they don't have to expertise or because when states are forced to compete against each other they are more easy to manipulate than the federal government. The idea was get the programs sent to the states were they are more easy to kill and then do them in.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Geeze, I'm really gonna hafta work on my sarcasm. Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:10 pm
@JTT,
I don't get sarcasm well in real life, and it is more difficult in virtual...that is to say it is not you, it's me.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:12 pm
@JTT,

It is a questionable question.
If some rational people who endured the lovely 7 years under Bush and his coharts will never raise such a question..
Republicans are second only the the funny son of a God who had ordered USA to show its true colour.
Ask the future republicans( a old 72 and a playmate44)
God Bless USA.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:24 pm
These dimbulbs in the McCain campaign should have been required to take Hunter Training. They're shootin' their feet off left and right. Get ole dead eye Dick up there to Alaska. He'll show 'em how to handle a gun.

Quote:

Alaskans angered that Palin is off-limits

In stubbornly independent Alaska, the sudden intrusion of a political campaign into so many corners of state government -- not to mention Wasilla, where a dozen or more campaign researchers and lawyers have also begun overseeing the release of any information about Palin's years as mayor -- has touched a raw nerve. McCain staffers have even been assigned to answer calls for Palin's family members, who have been instructed not to talk.

"Why did the McCain campaign take over the governor's office?" the Anchorage Daily News demanded in an editorial Saturday. "Is it too much to ask that Alaska's governor speak for herself, directly to Alaskans, about her actions as Alaska's governor?"

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-troopergate21-2008sep21,0,2158301.story

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:58 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

David

Quote:

all too often to the detriment of society at large

OK !
I have no problem with that, Dys.

By association, INDIVIDUALS have CREATED "society at large."
In other words, individuals are the parents (so to speak)
and society is the little child of those individual citizens,
who need to KEEP THEIR CHILD ON A SHORT LEASH.
being STINGY with the authority that, in their sovereign majesty,
thay grant to the mischievous child, whose highest honor it is
to cringe and grovel at the feet of its creators, the INDIVIDUALS.

The GENIUS of the Bill of Rights is that, as a condition of its EXISTENCE,
government is crippled in 37 different ways, aggregating to the glory and FREEDOM
of the individuals who created that government, or their heirs.

In other words,
each and every citizen owes it to himself
to consider and plan how he can do THE OPPOSITE
of Kennedy 's perverted demand that we: "ask not what your country
can do for you; ask what you can do for your country"
and try to exploit society to maximal advantage.

Every citizen shoud advise his children accordingly
and this counsel shoud be forthcoming from the schools.

I liked your post, Dys; keenly insightful.
I m gonna grade that UP !

David
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 06:35 am
@JTT,
The Fluffington Post???
revel

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 06:58 am
@Woiyo9,
Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:37 am
@dyslexia,
http://able2know.org/topic/122904-1
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:08 pm
@Woiyo9,
Quote:
Woiyo, the guy from "Reality Earth", wrote:

The Fluffington Post???

Both articles were written by Representative, Les Gara, Anchorage, Woiyo.

http://house.legis.state.ak.us/gar.php

You really don't have the foggiest notion, do you? You don't read anything that doesn't fit your off the wall preconceptions.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:11 pm
@JTT,
JTT, This is a very good example why conservatives want the third term for Bush. They have no clue about the current state of our economy or that millions of Americans are losing their jobs and homes, or that many are struggling to pay for food and fuel.

They want more of the same.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
@JTT,
And reported by Fluffington. Any other serious news organization would publish it.
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:56 pm
@Woiyo9,
Check the facts, Woiyo. Mr Gara got them correct. Why do you have such a problem with facts? You make a mockery of your old "location" because you are so far from Reality you may as well be on Jupiter.
0 Replies