Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
"Palin has young children. She demonstrates poor family values by accepting the Vice Presidential nomination."

What's up with that? It's a fact. She does demonstrate poor family values by accepting the Vice Presidential nomination. Every woman with young children accepting any job, unless she has to from economic necessity, is demonstrating poor family values in the Christian tradition. Good ceiling-busting values though. We need to be even handed. Do ceiling-busting values triumph over family values. The trend is that way. The sentimental mush is a smokescreen. It's a lot harder to love your children than it is to declare, however passionately, how much you love them. By a large amount.

And the kids know too.

Your sensitivity to the matter Foxy implies you agree yourself deep down.

Spendi, look again. I didn't say Palin has poor family values. Cyclop did. I happen to believe women are just as capable of multi tasking, effective management, and making sound decisions as is a man. Men and women have different strengths related to gender, but those differences don't apply in this context.

I 100% support women who choose to stay at home with their kids or to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen if that's where their heart lies. I personally have managed to be a professional and an executive and raise a family. I have no reason to believe Sarah Palin cannot do that too. Did my children suffer? They say they did not. Will hers? Not is she is a good mother.

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
It has been noted that the Obama campaign has been doing the same with Obama. They will no longer allow him to speak without a teleprompter and I think he probably wears a listening device at all times so they can feed him information to help him look smarter.

What are you talking about, Foxfyre? Was that rhetorical frippery or do you actually believe that? (Patently false, if so.)
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Obama has been at this a hell of a lot longer than Palin who they are still bringing up to speed on the campaign. That they want Palin to get her message out before the media is let loose to prevent her from doing that so effectively seems more prudent re strategy than sexist.

I call BS. They are designing Palin's message. If they wanted her to get her message out, they would be looking for every media outlet possible instead of running from unscripted interviews.

T
K
O
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:23 pm
@Rockhead,
It didn't go anywhere. It is impossible that it could.

There are no comforts I'm afraid. You're lumbered with it although I'm told that a teaspoonful of Sodium Bromide every morning in your porrige mitigates the more excrutiating effects. As, of course, does wanking. Which is why ladies denigrate it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:25 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

It has been noted that the Obama campaign has been doing the same with Obama. They will no longer allow him to speak without a teleprompter and I think he probably wears a listening device at all times so they can feed him information to help him look smarter. Same kind of deal do you think?

The difference is
K
Obama is in charge of his campaig

You are sure about that? What evidence do you have? Are you sure Palin is not in charge of hers? What evidence do you have that she isn't intimately involved in decisions of how to market herself? Does she come across as shy and demure and somebody who doesn't know her own mind? Her track record certainly doesn't suggest that. Maybe it isn't her campaign managers being sexist. Maybe the sexist ones are those who accuse her of being the token female on parade?

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
It has been noted that the Obama campaign has been doing the same with Obama. They will no longer allow him to speak without a teleprompter and I think he probably wears a listening device at all times so they can feed him information to help him look smarter.

What are you talking about, Foxfyre? Was that rhetorical frippery or do you actually believe that? (Patently false, if so.)

Soz, he recently dragged the teleprompter out in the middle of a rodeo arena where it looked really strange. We've seen him get flustered when his listening device stopped working. I don't know that he uses or needs these at all times--most likely he doesn't. But the frantic attempts to show that Palin is managed and he is not is absurd.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

It has been noted that the Obama campaign has been doing the same with Obama. They will no longer allow him to speak without a teleprompter and I think he probably wears a listening device at all times so they can feed him information to help him look smarter. Same kind of deal do you think? Is that racist?

Um, what? You're just off the deep end on this one. Obama appears all the time without teleprompters; he just did a press conference in FL yesterday, I guarantee that he didn't have a teleprompter when they were asking him questions.

And, a 'listening device?' Are you just making **** up? You have no evidence of that whatsoever.

Quote:
That they want Palin to get her message out before the media is let loose to prevent her from doing that so effectively seems more prudent re strategy than sexist.

What message? She's not doing an effective job of getting ANY message out, if she can't answer simple questions from the media.

Geez, you are way out there, Fox.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclop, no fair dodging the other issue. Wwill you state here and now that Obama has poor family values? Or if you are not willing to do that, admit that you apply different standards to Palin and Obama?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Cyclop, no fair dodging the other issue. Wwill you state here and now that Obama has poor family values? Or if you are not willing to do that, admit that you apply different standards to Palin and Obama?

I'm not dodging anything. I think it is a concern, that Obama has kids, yes. I think that Palin, with a special needs kid under the age of one, is in a whole different ballpark. You are trying to play a moral equivalence game, but nobody is falling for it.

I specifically call upon you to explain what you mean by a 'listening device' used to feed Obama answers, to make him seem smarter. Immediately.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

I'm not dodging anything. I think it is a concern, that Obama has kids, yes. I think that Palin, with a special needs kid under the age of one, is in a whole different ballpark. You are trying to play a moral equivalence game, but nobody is falling for it.

I specifically call upon you to explain what you mean by a 'listening device' used to feed Obama answers, to make him seem smarter. Immediately.

Cycloptichorn

You flat out said that Palin demonstrates poor family values.
But you won't say that about Obama.
Why?
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
Wow... you were actually serious??

I've been to three live Obama speeches. No teleprompters.

He often does town halls (yes, he does, though they're under-reported). No teleprompters.

Cycloptichorn mentioned recent Q and A's -- no teleprompters.

Where on earth do you get this "listening devices" thing from?

You do realize that this is a guy who taught classes on constitutional law at the University of Chicago, right? He's not exactly an intellectual lightweight.

Or do you think he used listening devices there, too? Had some REAL smartypants sitting somewhere feeding him his lines as he taught?

Geesh.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I personally have managed to be a professional and an executive and raise a family. I have no reason to believe Sarah Palin cannot do that too. Did my children suffer? They say they did not. Will hers? Not is she is a good mother.

Well Foxy- it has been obvious that you have an axe to grind on this matter for a while now. Actually, I am reading a book about an extreme case of combining a professional career with motherhood. It is The Divine Sarah: A Life of Sarah Bernhardt by Arthur Gold and Robert Fizdale. (She was a bit much for one man.) I think you might quite like it.

The world might have had to do without Sarah Bernhardt had her Mom been keen on family values.

Quote:
I 100% support women who choose to stay at home with their kids or to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen if that's where their heart lies.

That is hardly a generous concession Foxy. You have no choice in the matter. So you might as well.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You flat out said that Palin demonstrates poor family values.
But you won't say that about Obama.
Why?

I just explained to you why. Quit being a mendacious jerk, Fox.

I specifically call upon you to explain what you mean by a 'listening device' used to feed Obama answers, to make him seem smarter. Immediately. Because it seems to me that you just pulled this out your ass.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:44 pm
@Foxfyre,
Palin isn't. She doesn't have a campaign to call "her's." She has one to call "his."

T
K
O
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:59 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Wow... you were actually serious??

I've been to three live Obama speeches. No teleprompters.

He often does town halls (yes, he does, though they're under-reported). No teleprompters.

Cycloptichorn mentioned recent Q and A's -- no teleprompters.

Where on earth do you get this "listening devices" thing from?

You do realize that this is a guy who taught classes on constitutional law at the University of Chicago, right? He's not exactly an intellectual lightweight.

Or do you think he used listening devices there, too? Had some REAL smartypants sitting somewhere feeding him his lines as he taught?

Geesh.

I don't KNOW that he uses a listening device, but I've seen him in what appears to be in an extremporaneous setting when he is speaking fluently, competently, with authority and then dissolves into a blitering idiot for a bit. I've seen him touch his ear at the time and wondered if he didn't lose connection and didn't get help with an unexpected topic or issue that came up. I have no proof of that. It is a logical conclusion as such devices are not all uncommon in the extemporaneous speaker's world. But we have all seen him become flustered when his teleprompter screws up and we do know he is taking the teleprompter into a lot of venues where he used to not do so. I have not seen him in a completely extemporaneous venue in which he didn't seem to fish and struggle for at least some of the right words to say--he appears to be far less confident and self assured at such times.

These are personal observations only and are not criticisms per se. Obama did impress O'Reilly as having something on the ball in his extended interview there. O'Reilly did not see him as being particularly devious.

Draw your own conclusions. I'll draw mine.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
Rolling Eyes

Like I said, pulled it out of your ass.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No, I didn't Cyclop. But I will accept your explanation that Palin can't demonstrate good family values. You won't say that of Obama but rather are concerned about what effect his presidency might have on his children. But it is a partisan thing and not sexism. Okay.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Like I said, pulled it out of your ass.

Cycloptichorn
how unusual.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:09 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

No, I didn't Cyclop. But I will accept your explanation that Palin can't demonstrate good family values. You won't say that of Obama but rather are concerned about what effect his presidency might have on his children. But it is a partisan thing and not sexism. Okay.

Um, yes, you did. You made a serious accusation with no evidence at all. None. That's called 'pulling it out of your ass.'

It's not like anyone here is surprised, but it is funny Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
Anyone else think that Foxfyre might be in the market for a tinfoil hat?
0 Replies