Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:01 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

...As far as personal or non-business attacks go, however, as well as the level of sexism included in it, we can compare the level of scrutiny, sliming, and mud thrown at Palin since she was announced as veep pick compared to that thrown at Biden when he was announced as veep pick. You want to make a case that he has been treated as harshly as she has? How many sexist remarks has Biden had to endure?

do you endorse the concept of "hate crime" ?

I fail to see the relevance of the question in this context, but if you can explain one, I will answer it.

just answer the question... either you do or you don't.

No I don't (reserving the right to qualify and explain my answer.) Now. Why is it relevant?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:08 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thanks god....now, having dealt with this, may I suggest you turn your attention immediately to the Sudan, the Israel/Palestinian conflict, the Iraq thing and global warming?

and now real sexism from palestine; both the west bank and gaza;

Quote:
Commodifying Honor in Female Sexuality: Honor Killings in Palestine

Suzanne Ruggi

The family constitutes the fundamental building-block of Palestinian society. Family status is largely dependent upon its honor, much of which is determined by the respectability of its daughters, who can damage it irreparably by the perceived misuse of their sexuality

Every year, hundreds of women and girls are murdered in the Middle East by male family members. The honor killing-the execution of a female family member for perceived misuse of her sexuality-is a thorny social and political issue. Palestinian activists campaigning for equality find it difficult to stop the killings altogether. Legitimacy for such murders stems from a complex code of honor ingrained in the consciousness of some sectors of Palestinian society.

Given that honor killings often remain a private family affair, no official statistics are available on the practice or its frequency. According to a November 1997 report of the Woman's Empowerment Project published in Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, there were 20 honor killings in Gaza and the West Bank in 1996. One representative of the group added, "We know there are more but no one publicizes it." Similarly, an unofficial report given to the Palestinian Women's Working Society stated that "recently" 40 women have been killed for honor in Gaza. The report defined neither the period in which these murders took place nor the exact circumstances. During the summer of 1997, Khaled Al-Qudra, then Attorney General in the Palestinian National Authority (PNA), told Sout Al-Nissa' (Women's Voices), a supplement published by the Women's Affairs Technical Committee (WATC), that he suspects that 70 percent of all murders in Gaza and the West Bank are honor killings.

http://www.merip.org/mer/mer206/ruggi.htm

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

...As far as personal or non-business attacks go, however, as well as the level of sexism included in it, we can compare the level of scrutiny, sliming, and mud thrown at Palin since she was announced as veep pick compared to that thrown at Biden when he was announced as veep pick. You want to make a case that he has been treated as harshly as she has? How many sexist remarks has Biden had to endure?

I fail to see the relevance of the question in this context, but if you can explain one, I will answer it.

No I don't (reserving the right to qualify and explain my answer.) Now. Why is it relevant?

sorry, but is important to me to know why you don't.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:12 pm
btw, wabbitt... i'm not throwing this stuff out there as an attack on the fuzzy one.

what you said struck a nerve and these are examples of sexism that fall under the things you mentioned.

just wondering if it gets taken up as you suggested.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:13 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

sorry, but is important to me to know why you don't.

It is important to me to know why it is relevant. Tell me that and I'll give you a detailed answer.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:24 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thanks god....now, having dealt with this, may I suggest you turn your attention immediately to the Sudan, the Israel/Palestinian conflict, the Iraq thing and global warming?

and now on to iraq;

Quote:
FEMALE CIRCUMCISION SURFACES IN IRAQ
A German aid group finds the first solid proof of the practice, thought to be prevalent in the Middle East.
By Nicholas Birch | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor
KIRKUK, IRAQ "
Set on an arid plain southeast of Kirkuk, Hasira looks like a place forsaken by time. Sheep amble past mud-brick houses and the odd sickly palm tree shades children's games. There is no electricity.
Yet along with 39 other villages in this region that Iraq's Kurds have named Germian (meaning hot place), Hasira and its people have become noted for presenting the first statistical evidence in Iraq of the existence of female circumcision, or female genital mutilation (FGM), as critics call it.

"We knew Germian was one of the areas most affected by the practice," says Thomas von der Osten-Sacken, director of a German nongovernmental organization called WADI, which has been based in Iraq for more than a decade.
Of 1,554 women and girls over 10 years old interviewed by WADI's local medical team, 907, or more than 60 percent, said they had had the operation. The practice is known to exist throughout the Middle East, particularly in northern Saudi Arabia, southern Jordan, and Iraq. There is also circumstantial evidence to suggest it is present in Syria, western Iran, and southern Turkey.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0810/p06s01-woiq.html

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

It is important to me to know why it is relevant. Tell me that and I'll give you a detailed answer.

no. i have my reasons.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Bullshit....in politcs words mean what the majority think that they mean.

You are making an appeal to popularity? Laughing

Except when the majority says that hawkeye10 means troglodyte I guess.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:41 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

no. i have my reasons.

Okay, normally I would know that I was being set up, but I am going to trust you.

A 'hate crime' is presumed to be more grevious and attaches greater penalty because of who the victim is.

I believe all crime intended to intimidate, terrify, hurt, maim, destroy, murder, or maliciously take a person's property and/or peace of mind is a hate crime. I've had the police drop off a terrified mother and children at my house in the wee hours of the morning and sat with them, trying to help them find calm, because somebody was threatening to hurt or kill them. That's a hate crime. I've visited a woman in the hospital and tried to convince her to leave the scum who beat her within an inch of her life. That's a hate crime. I've helped intervene in cases where children were so horribly neglected or abused that I knew they would likely never again be normal. That's a hate crime. I have sat with a rape victim so injured and traumatized that I knew she could not be left alone for a long time. That's a hate crime. I have sat with people trying to piece back bits of their lives following a burglary and they eventually had to move because they could not shake the fear of the intruder returning. That's a hate crime. I myself was a physically and emotionally battered child, and I can assure you that is a hate crime.

When people are savaged it doesn't matter what the motives of the perpetrator are. The consequences are just as terrible, and just as unconsionable. Does it matter to the victim if he or she is black or white or gay or straight or Jewish or whatever? He or she is just as injured regardless of why the crime was committed. The consequences of the law should be assessed on the basis of the intended or actual consequences of an action rather than speculation on the motives of the perpetrator.

And that is why I do not accept the concept of a 'hate crime'. I've seen it up close and personal, and it is all hate crime.

Okay there is the short explanation.

Now, why is it relevant?
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:44 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Erm...my thing was just a quip at ebrown's perceived godlike tone...I would be sad if it continued to lead to more of this stuff...not that I don't think it very important in its own right, but it's kind of off topic, I think.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
I don't agree that they are inappropriate-- the word inappropriate is meaningless without putting them in context.

There is no standard of "appropriateness" that applies everywhere. There is a very different standard from what I say drinking with my friends, from what I say at work, to what Obama says as part of his campaign.

Sexism is sexism, and sexist stereotypes are sexist stereotypes, whether they are expressed at home, at work or as official. One has a higher political cost than the other, yeah. But sexist putdowns aren't suddenly OK as long as you were just drinking with your buds.

Bottom line: those t-shirts are sexist, and people who wear them are being sexist pricks. Why you wanna make distinctions about that, I dunno. {shrugs}
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

nimh wrote:
Thats a bit of a straw man. I dont think anyone has argued that whoever, whenever calls Palin a hottie in any context is sexist.

T-shirts or bumper stickers saying McCain/MILF, VPILF, or Hoosiers for the Hottie, however, are.

What I'm saying is to assert that those comments are invariably sexism ignores that there are other reasons people might display them and projects your own. [..] This is just political correctness at it's most pedantic and if you actually listen to what they have to say it would be much harder to portray them as sexist.

For example I looked it up to see who was wearing them, and it sounds like women came up with the idea and just plain reject the notion that they are reducing her to a sexual object.

Ok, I think we are talking past each other.

Remember that "sweet old lady" of O'Bill's? Was she a sexist? I think we agree that no, she wasnt a sexist person. Did she intend to pass a sexist judgement? Of course she didnt. Is the argument she used, nevertheless, sexist? Finn argued that yes, it was, and a bunch of us agreed, dunno about you.

There's the rub in our conversation, I think.

I think it is wholly possible for someone to use sexist imagery or arguments, without him- or herself necessarily being a sexist, or having sexist intentions.

It's the same as with racism. I had a friend, a decade or so ago, a nice girl, with whom I once had this conversation about Africa. Turned out that she thought it was one big country. Also, that the people there still mostly lived in the wild, hunting game, and sitting round campfires in the evening in their loincloths roasting boar meat. And so she was afraid that there was little anyone could do about all these brutal civil wars, because, you know -- what could you expect, kinda?

I'm not shitting you. She was in her twenties. Now she had not a bad intention in her bones, and she would have been as kind a host to African guests as anyone. If anything she wanted to help Africans, that was what the whole conversation started about. But this image of today's black Africans as some kind of wild primitives is racist, yes. She herself had no particular attachment to the belief that Africans are inferior by nature or anything, but she had bought into a profoundly racist image of the wild, primitive African.

All of that analogy to say, in response to your quotes, that yes, sure, even the best-intentioned young women can end up trafficking in sexist stereotypes. Their good intentions do not make the stereotypes themselves any less sexist.

These women wont be the first ones who promote a woman's chances (or their own) of getting a weighty or important job by touting how she's a "hottie" or the like. And believe it's just another way of boosting her, rather than a way of reinforcing the sexism in how even top women are seen or approached. Whatever works, right? But, yeah - and? There's black men touting the image of the uniquely virile and lustful black superlover too, doesnt make the stereotype any less racist.

McCain/MILF, as bumper sticker, reduces Palin to nothing more than a **** object. That makes it sexist. Now whether every single buyer of the sticker is a sexist, I dunno. I have a hard time imagining anyone but total sexist pricks slapping one on their car, but who knows - it could be used in irony, or as in-joke, or whatever. But yeah, and? Doesnt make the sticker any less sexist.

I'm repeating myself...
nimh

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:11 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

wascally wabbitt! you mean discuss *GASP!* real issues?

i suppose we could do that if we wanted to get into ritual female circumcision. a horrible and sometimes murderous practice in sudan.

folks wanna whine about poor sarah being treated in a sexist way? this is what real sexism looks like

Yeah, there are much worse things going on in the world than a bunch of sexist throw-away remarks directed at Sarah Palin.

And those things have their own threads.

And it's anyone's choice whether they want to post in those or this one.

But if the reasoning is that we shouldnt discuss bad stuff if it's not as bad as other bad stuff, you can pretty much delete half the threads here.

Most of the discussions about US politics at all, for that matter -- after all, doesnt any domestic US issue pale into insignificance when contrasted with the tens of millions dying of AIDS, say?
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:22 pm
@nimh,
Or maybe it isn't sexist so much as misogynistic? I don't see the terms as necessarily synonymous.

To me seeing a woman as no more than a sex object, especially in crude and demeaning imagery or language, is not necessarily sexist but could be misogynistic. The fact that women saw Bill Clinton (or Elvis or Brad Pitt or anybody) as somebody they could lust after was not sexist but was simply attraction of a sexual nature.

IMO, to be sexist in context of references to Sarah Palin is to apply different expectations or requirements to a woman that would not be equally applied to a man or vice versa. To expect a woman to be available to her children 24/7 while not applying the same standard to a man is sexist. To make value judgments about mode of dress or hairstyle or the glasses she wears when such observations re fashion and/or appropriateness are not important for a man is sexist. To assume that she would be more or less passionate or more or less capable or more or less distracted because she is a woman is sexist. To assume that she, a mother, would not be able to competently be a parent and hold high office while not assuming the same of a man is sexist.

That is why I posed the question to DTOM. We all have recognized and acknowledged the sexist attitudes directed toward Sarah Palin. Can anybody think of any comparable attitudes directed toward Barack Obama? Toward Joe Biden?

And that is why your title for this thread was appropriate. Smart women and smart men notice.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 08:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Okay, normally I would know that I was being set up, but I am going to trust you.

A 'hate crime' is presumed to be more grevious and attaches greater penalty because of who the victim is. ...

Now, why is it relevant?

and because i respect that you generally seem to stick to your guns (and that i think you're a pretty nice person irl), i won't go over the top on this;

what i wanted to get to is your comment about biden.

as far as i know, he hasn't been the target of sexism. however we both know of at least one ludicrous and petty allegation about his honesty regarding the death of his first wife and daughter. i'm not going to rehash it because it's simply ridiculous.

if you look at it from the standpoint that "an attack" and "a crime" are analogous, then an unfair attack on palin based solely on her gender is simply "an attack" and not "sexism". conversely, an unfair attack on biden based solely on his political party affiliation and having nothing to do with a particular policy or legislation is simply an unfair attack.

in other words, it doesn't really matter why someone attacks biden or palin for some personal foible; it's just an attack. and if that personal foible has no bearing on either one to perform the tasks that go with whatever elected office; it's just wasting time that could be spent figuring out how to get our country out of the big deep whole we're in.

that was the point i wanted to present to you.

btw, i got busy with stuff because my niece and new husband are in town' but, i was thinking about your comments when we were getting into government funding of faith based initiatives.

i doubt that you and i will see eye to eye on everything about this, but ihave been considering your reamarks and find merit in some of it. we can get into it again someday.

ms. dtom is yelling at me to set the table. gotta slide. peace baby...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:00 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
Remember that "sweet old lady" of O'Bill's? Was she a sexist? I think we agree that no, she wasnt a sexist person. Did she intend to pass a sexist judgement? Of course she didnt. Is the argument she used, nevertheless, sexist? Finn argued that yes, it was, and a bunch of us agreed, dunno about you.

That one I'm much more inclined to believe is sexist because it was questioning her ability to do the job in a way that a man probably wouldn't have been questioned.

Quote:
I think it is wholly possible for someone to use sexist imagery or arguments, without him- or herself necessarily being a sexist, or having sexist intentions.

I agree but I don't think they have engaged in sexism in that case, it might not be desirable because it perpetuates a stereotype but accusing them of being sexist is the kind of disregard for their intentions that I think causes a lot of the backlash against that kind of political correctness.

Quote:
All of that analogy to say, in response to your quotes, that yes, sure, even the best-intentioned young women can end up trafficking in sexist stereotypes. Their good intentions do not make the stereotypes themselves any less sexist.

I guess I see the big difference being that the views the young woman held were racist by definition, not because of whether they were ill intentioned or not. "Hottie" is just not sexist by definition the way viewing all Africans as primitive is racist.

Quote:
These women wont be the first ones who promote a woman's chances (or their own) of getting a weighty or important job by touting how she's a "hottie" or the like. And believe it's just another way of boosting her, rather than a way of reinforcing the sexism in how even top women are seen or approached. Whatever works, right? But, yeah - and? There's black men touting the image of the uniquely virile and lustful black superlover too, doesnt make the stereotype any less racist.

I just don't see these as any way comparable. "Hot" alone just isn't a stereotype.

Quote:
McCain/MILF, as bumper sticker, reduces Palin to nothing more than a **** object.

There's a world of a difference between that and what I'm talking about (the female Palin supporters who made up the "hottie" buttons). The MILF stuff is demeaning. Just calling her a "hottie" simply isn't demeaning without a lot of extra interpretation.

Quote:
That makes it sexist.

But nimh, I was talking specifically about her female supporters who find her to be strong, intelligent and hot and used "hottie" in the button. I can't imagine that you really believe they reduced her to "a **** object". That's a hell of a stretch.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:13 pm
This isn't sexism but it is the lowest form of gutter humor and should not be condoned by decent people anywhere. It does fit in with Nimh's theme of "Guys? You're not helping." How low will it go?

Quote:
By Joe Kovacs
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A week after a high-profile send-up of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin on "Saturday Night Live," the NBC comedy show returned to making fun of the Alaskan governor in a skit where New York Times reporters sought to probe the possibility Palin's husband was having sex with the couple's own daughters.

"What about the husband?" asked a Times reporter during a mock assignment meeting for the paper. "You know he's doing those daughters. I mean, come on. It's Alaska."

The assignment editor for the Times, portrayed by actor James Franco, responded: "He very well could be. Admittedly, there is no evidence of that, but on the other hand, there is no convincing evidence to the contrary. And these are just some of the lingering questions about Governor Palin."
More here:
http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=75852
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:47 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
We all have recognized and acknowledged the sexist attitudes directed toward Sarah Palin. Can anybody think of any comparable attitudes directed toward Barack Obama? Toward Joe Biden?

Again, why didn't Palin follow her own advice? Why did the McCain campaign portray her as a soft, delicate creature, incapable of being interviewed by the press because she was overwhelmed with discomfort? Why did the McCain campaign take the position that their female candidate had to be protected from the sexist media until such time as she was comfortable?

THAT paternalistic protectionism engaged in by the McCain campaign pushes women back to the 1800's:

Quote:
. . .the civil law, as well as nature herself, has always recognized a wide difference in the respective spheres and destinies of man and woman. Man is, or should be, woman's protector and defender. The natural and proper timidity and delicacy which belongs to the female sex evidently unfits it for many of the occupations of civil life....

In the nature of things, it is not every citizen of every age, sex, and condition that is qualified for every calling and position.... in view of the peculiar characteristics, destiny, and mission of woman, it is within the province of the legislature to ordain what offices, positions, and callings shall be filled and discharged by men, and shall receive the benefit of those energies and responsibilities, and that decision and firmness which are presumed to predominate in the sterner sex.

Bradwell v. The State, 83 U.S. 16 Wall. 130 130 (1872) (J. Bradley, concurring).

Again, the McCain campaign said Palin was a pitbull, but their actions spoke louder than their words. They treated her like a scared, trembling puppy that was cowering under a bed. The McCain people treated Palin as though she was a timid and delicate woman in need of a man's protection. The McCain campaign took on the role as her protector and defender. In doing so, the McCain campaign portrayed Palin as incapable of dealing with the media until THEY decided she was comfortable and ready. If she is incapable of dealing with the media and their probing questions, how can she be capable of running the country?

On the other hand, Joe Biden was out on the stump, doing interviews and answering questions. Joe Biden was not cowering from the press. Joe Biden is an open book.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:51 pm
@Debra Law,
With all his gaffs and warts. Palin is a sacred cow.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 01:27 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

wascally wabbitt! you mean discuss *GASP!* real issues?

i suppose we could do that if we wanted to get into ritual female circumcision. a horrible and sometimes murderous practice in sudan.

folks wanna whine about poor sarah being treated in a sexist way? this is what real sexism looks like

Yeah, there are much worse things going on in the world than a bunch of sexist throw-away remarks directed at Sarah Palin.

And those things have their own threads.

And it's anyone's choice whether they want to post in those or this one.

But if the reasoning is that we shouldnt discuss bad stuff if it's not as bad as other bad stuff, you can pretty much delete half the threads here.

Most of the discussions about US politics at all, for that matter -- after all, doesnt any domestic US issue pale into insignificance when contrasted with the tens of millions dying of AIDS, say?

i wasn't going for shock jock. and i wasn't saying that anything with a rating less than "absolutely horrible" shouldn't be discussed; here or anywhere else.

we are a couple of weeks past the connventions and only a few until the election. time draws near, as they say.

and yet, with the house coming down around us, the majority of attention; not just on a2k, but in most media, msm or blahgs, has been almost entirely focused on minutiae.

here's an example of a recent talking head making a most important note about sarah palin; *"lipstick is sarah palin's signature phrase." what? so nobody else can use it? shhhh.don't tell max faxtor. he'll freakout.

*know who said that? ron christie, republican strategist. priorities baby. this is the kind of crap i'm getting fed up with. instead of telling me why i should vote for mccain, he's planting a flag in a stick of estee lauder and claiming it for palinland?

give me a break.

okay, i took the rabbit's post at face value. did i over react? no.

dirty joke tee shirts and "hottie" buttons are indeed inappropriate. i've never said anything different. it's also inappropriate to insist that obama is muslim when he isn't. so i guess that's religious persecution. if people make jokes about mccain in diapers it's agism.

and my problem with all of this sorting and labeling of each of this things into categories simply serves to pull our attention away from what's really going on. things that need to be fixed.

anyone with half a brain knows that american politics has become, at least for the present, a nasty piece of predatory business.

palin chose to jump in the shark tank, so she shouldn't complain about getting hounded by lampreys.

the u.s.' domestic politics issues do pale in comparison to a lot of terrible things in the world.

and if the american economy falls into a hole, the ability of america to give any kind of aid to anyone else, the world will be worse off for it.

but, if people would rather spend the next 6 weeks running around shrilling about lipstick, sexism and terrorist fist bumps, have at it...