Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)

Debra Law

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:54 pm
ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS
January 27, 2008

Quote:
Palin's responses on radio talk show very unbecoming

The governor's appearance on KWHL's "The Bob and Mark Show" last week is plain and simple one of the most unprofessional, childish and inexcusable performances I've ever seen from a politician.

Anchorage DJ Bob Lester unleashed a vicious, mean-spirited, poisonous attack on Senate President Lyda Green last week while our governor was live on the air with him.

When we played the tape on my show the day after it happened, we received 130 calls. Even some Palinbots were disgusted.

The Daily News posted the recording on its Web site and it fired up bloggers.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner editorial writers demanded the governor apologize. The Juneau and Ketchikan papers also ran the editorial.

The Daily News opinion page addressed the governor's gaffe. They wrote "She came off looking immature herself, almost high-schoolish. It was conduct unbecoming a governor."

It was conduct unbecoming a human being, never mind a governor.

The governor's office eventually tried to spin the public relations disaster, releasing a statement reading, "Governor Palin was caught off guard by Bob Lester's reference to Senate President Lyda Green."

I don't buy it. Early on in the conversation before Palin started to crack up, Lester referred to Sen. Green as a jealous woman and a cancer. Palin, who knows full well Lyda Green is a cancer survivor, didn't do what any decent person would do, say, "Bob, that's going too far."

But as the conversation moved on, Lester intensified his attack on Green.

Lester questioned Green's motherhood, asking Palin if the senator cares about her own kids. Palin laughs.

Then Lester clearly sets the stage for what he is about to say by warning his large audience and Palin. He says, "Governor you can't say this but I will, Lyda Green is a cancer and a b----." Palin laughs for the second time.

What were teenage boys thinking when they heard the governor laugh at someone being called a b----? How about the teenage girls who look up to Palin. What did they think when they heard her laugh?

But there is more. Lester then describes Green's chair as big and cushy. A clear reference to the senator's weight. Palin laughs a third time. She's just having a grand old time.

Palin was clearly enjoying every second of Lester's vicious attack on her political rival.

But it gets worse.

Lester asks Palin point blank: "Do you have any idea of what you did, to make Lyda Green dislike you, hate you?" How does Palin respond? Does she do the right thing? What you would expect from a mature leader, a governor and say, "Bob, Lyda doesn't hate me."

No, she responds like a 13-year-old and says, "Um, you know once and a while I try to figure that out but I can't figure that out."

The Palin camp says the governor did call Green and apologize. That was the right thing to do. But the governor's statement shows the apology a half-hearted one.

The statement in part reads: "The Governor called Senator Green to explain that she does not condone name-calling in any way and apologized if there was a perception that the comment was attributed to the Governor."

But there's strong evidence Palin did condone Lester's name-calling. At the end of Lester making fun of Green as a mother, calling her a cancer, twice, and saying she has to go; after calling the senator a b----, making fun of her weight, and accusing Green of being jealous and hateful; after all of that, Lester ends the conversation offering to visit Palin.

How does Palin respond? "I'd be honored to have you."

The statement released by the governor's office also called Palin's action bad judgment.

But bad judgment is when you stay up late the night before a big test, order steak at a Chinese restaurant or wear blue jeans to a black tie affair.

What the governor did was wrong.

Not only did she sit by and watch a decent public servant get thrashed in front of tens of thousands of people, she actually enjoyed it.

This is our governor, for goodness sake.

Our leader. I wonder.

http://www.adn.com/opinion/comment/story/295464.html

Also, Sarah Palin, is AGAINST funding law enforcement efforts to help women and children who are the victims of rape. WHY? Because rape victims are entitled to "emergency contraception" when they go for their "evidence collecting" rape examinations.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Firstly you don't know if they are if all they said is that she's a "hottie" and at the same time laud her intelligence and character, and secondly it's not always sexist.

Oh, get real.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hottie
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:02 pm
@DrewDad,

I know what the word means DrewDad, but the women who made the "hottie" buttons that were discussed said:

Quote:
"Being a hot chick, strong fun and capable all go together," said Koch, who said she wouldn't see anything sexist even if a man were to don the button.

To claim that they are sexist just for using the word "hottie" doesn't hold water without a lot of projection in regard to their intent.
Debra Law

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:06 pm
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2851838107_2b17b89ccf.jpg?v=0

This button, "hottest VP from the coolest state," was worn by a sea of party delegates attending the RNC. The right wing hypocrites apparently care more about promoting Palin's allegedly "hot" physical appearance rather than the substance of her mind. Put a gag on her mouth, and parade her in front of America as hot eye candy--and then have the audacity to claim their hot candidate needs protection from the sexist media.
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
5 kids and hottie. Don't be so bloody silly. That's "lie back and think of England" hottie.
Debra Law

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
Although I'm a "hot A2K poster," I must leave for awhile. I'm going to the kitchen, where I belong, and do the dishes like my hubby instructed. If it's okay with my man, I'll be back later.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm
@spendius,
I remember Professor Greer enquiring whether a chap who had five kids was called Stubbs.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I know what the word means DrewDad, but the women who made the "hottie" buttons that were discussed said:

Bullshit....in politcs words mean what the majority think that they mean. Hot means fuckable, and it was used in the marketing of Palin in a "HaHaHa, isn't that funny!" sense.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Bullshit....in politcs words mean what the majority think that they mean.

You are making an appeal to popularity? Laughing

Except when the majority says that hawkeye10 means troglodyte I guess.
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Goodness gracious me. I have never been capable of ******* a woman with an IQ above 86. Or thereabouts.

It's a good job there are a lot of them.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am making no appeal, I am stating what reality is. In sales it makes no difference if people's views and opinions are justified or not, marketing is about manipulating the feelings and opinions that exist in such a way as to get people to do what you want them to do. When team McCain marketed Palin as fuckable they knew exactly what they were doing, they were selling her as the opposite of a professional politician. If America decides that we have a boat load of problems and want a pro in the chair when McCain dies then team McCain has a problem...which they have now figured out I think. Problem for them is that they can't take back their attempt to brand Palin earlier, trying to inventing new definitions for words shows how boxed in they are now.

How about killing your snarky BS, and sticking to the subject? Thank you.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

...As far as personal or non-business attacks go, however, as well as the level of sexism included in it, we can compare the level of scrutiny, sliming, and mud thrown at Palin since she was announced as veep pick compared to that thrown at Biden when he was announced as veep pick. You want to make a case that he has been treated as harshly as she has? How many sexist remarks has Biden had to endure?

do you endorse the concept of "hate crime" ?
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Is it not intellectual glasses fetishism Hawk?
patiodog

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:46 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Thanks god....now, having dealt with this, may I suggest you turn your attention immediately to the Sudan, the Israel/Palestinian conflict, the Iraq thing and global warming?

Absolutely not. Those are scary. Can we talk about the pretty (for a politician) reactionary some more? It's a very comforting thing to disagree about, because there are no consequences.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:56 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

...As far as personal or non-business attacks go, however, as well as the level of sexism included in it, we can compare the level of scrutiny, sliming, and mud thrown at Palin since she was announced as veep pick compared to that thrown at Biden when he was announced as veep pick. You want to make a case that he has been treated as harshly as she has? How many sexist remarks has Biden had to endure?

I fail to see the relevance of the question in this context, but if you can explain one, I will answer it.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thanks god....now, having dealt with this, may I suggest you turn your attention immediately to the Sudan, the Israel/Palestinian conflict, the Iraq thing and global warming?

wascally wabbitt! you mean discuss *GASP!* real issues?

i suppose we could do that if we wanted to get into ritual female circumcision. a horrible and sometimes murderous practice in sudan.

folks wanna whine about poor sarah being treated in a sexist way?

this is what real sexism looks like;

Quote:
Sheikh Ali Hashim al Siraj, Director of the Population Enlightenment Programme in the country’s Ministry of Guidance and Endowments, discusses here his reasons for opposing FGM/C. He begins by describing what he witnessed in the summer of 1985 while he was teaching in the Northern Rural Council of Omdurman, a major Sudanese city. (Published 15 November 2005.)

“As I was discharging my duties, I heard loud cries and wailing coming from a hut. We abandoned our lesson and rushed to the noise. It was the hut of Sheikh Hajj al Basher, a respectable, good-hearted man who was married to a woman by the name of Zainab. Four years after their marriage, Allah had granted them a baby girl, whom they named Amna.

“When the girl was eight years old, Zainab convinced her husband that Amna should undergo female genital mutilation as it was a known custom and would be a purification. They believed it was in line with their religious dictates.

“The midwife came carrying her ‘black box’. Amna regarded her parents with apprehension. Then there was the noise of singing and of jubilation as everyone examined the future bride, with a pious family and good ancestry.

“In the midst of the noisy crowd, the midwife proceeded with the cutting despite the cries and wailing of the small girl calling on her mother to rescue her. ‘Please mother, rescue me please!’ And then calling on her father, ‘Please father, rescue me!’ Tears of sad happiness rolled from the eyes of the mother, hoping to see her only daughter a bride.

“But all of a sudden the girl fell silent. There were no cries...no wailing...the mother called her daughter’s name: ‘Amna, Amna, talk to me!’ Amna did not respond. She was dead and never became a bride because of this harmful custom.

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/sudan_29886.html

yeah, poor little sarah...

i'm disgusted.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Is it not intellectual glasses fetishism Hawk?
Not exactly sure that I get your meaning....for a long time now those who have staffed and lead political campaigns have been pulled from a small circle, year after year. It is a club where the members sell both GOP and DEMS and they stay to one side or the other for the most part, but they basically agree on how to sell a political candidate. You don't need to watch these cats on cable for very many years and read the reporting during many election cycles to figure out how they think. The show West Wing was also pretty honest about how this game is played.

The irony is that BOTH McCain and Obama sell themselves as breaking the mold, but both conform to what the political pro's expect of them as well as those who came before them do. Obama tried to be different....it did not last very long now did it?

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

I fail to see the relevance of the question in this context, but if you can explain one, I will answer it.

just answer the question... either you do or you don't.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
When team McCain marketed Palin as fuckable they knew exactly what they were doing, they were selling her as the opposite of a professional politician.

How exactly did "team McCain" do so?

Quote:
How about killing your snarky BS, and sticking to the subject? Thank you.

I've said a lot more about the subject here than you have, and don't intend to stop doing so just because your feelings are hurt.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:00 pm
@Debra Law,
That adds to the laugher curve; one of hundreds if not thousands. It'll probably reach a billion by election day; that seems to be the number our government seems to be throwing around with abandon.
0 Replies