Over Abundance of Yeast

mismi

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:53 am
Candida Albicans - That is what they call it. It is caused by an over abundance of yeast in the system, usually by use of antibiotics in large quantities, even birth control pills. It can cause fatigue, pain in joints, itchy spots, dry skin, actually the symptoms are such a huge catchall, I would think most people taking the test would think they had it.

http://www.yeastconnection.com/yeast.html

http://www.candida-albicans-yeast-infection.com/AlkalizeorDie.html

Anyway - has anyone had experience with this? Have you tried the diet recommended in order to control the yeast? How has it affected your life?

Just looking into it and wanting to know more information. Thanks

djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 08:27 am
have you thought about taking up baking or beer making

wait......what.....nevermind
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 08:46 am
@mismi,
In the vitamin aisle you can buy capsules of acidophilous. Whenever I have to take an antibiotic I also take acidophilous and I never have any problem.
mismi

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:35 am
@boomerang,
I don't have a problem that I know of. It seems that if you have achey joints, dry skin, and are unfocused that it is possible you have this overabundance of yeast in your system. The problem with this is, if you do have it, the diet they put you on is unreal. Yeah - dj - no beer, no bread, no vinegar, no mushrooms - the list is exhaustive really. Well - that may be an exxageration - limited amounts of some of those things is okay I think.

The reason I am checking into it is that it seems to be the newest craze in my area. There are several people I know that seem to have it and go to this one doc. He prescribes nistatin to kill the overabundance of yeast and then places them on this diet. They swear their focus returns, they are no longer achey, their skin clears...itchy places they have on their feet go away. Seems to cure the problems. I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this or was having problems. I don't doubt it is possible. I had just never heard of it before until recently.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:42 am
@mismi,
Missy, I have an older friend that was on a diet like that for 6 weeks due to complications from diabetes. I remember him talking about the yeast being what they were trying to eliminate.

(hadda cook and eat by real strict rules...)
mismi

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 11:13 am
@Rockhead,
thanks Rock Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 06:34 pm
@mismi,
My aunt used to talk about candida and diets for candida overgrowth (....doing the math...) 15 or more years ago. About 18 years ago, dyflucan or diflucan came out to combat intestinal yeast. It's basically a strong antibiotic that targets yeast more than other intestinal flora. But it kills much of your gut bacteria off and you then need to bulk up on good bacteria like acidopholus (as boomer said) found in yogurts and to eat the diet to limit yeast growth. Yeast will be the first back and the first to flourish.

Because the diet is a very healthy one, anyone who eats it will feel better than they did. Hard to qualify the results. Also, you do need some yeast in the gut - it's part of the flora that is supposed to be there.

If you can stomach it, eat a small clove of garlic raw before bed and wash it down with a large glass of water. Next 24-48 hours take acidopholus pills. Alternate for a week or two and see if you don't feel some kind of better.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 06:39 pm
@littlek,
There is candida and candida. I remember a patient in our, uh, perview, who had no defenses. I think the word might have been 'anergic'.
Normal candidiasis, one thing, anergic, another.
littlek

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 06:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Candida is candida, but what the thread is about is the overgrowth of the yeast - when it becomes too predominant in the neighborhood.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 06:49 pm
@littlek,
Yes, I do understand that. We had a patient with rampant candidiasis, with major immunity problems -entire lack of immunity, as in anergy - I guess I need to link on that. (this was a long time ago).
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Not to scare everybody..
but pay attention to your candidiasis.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:03 pm
@ossobuco,
A clip re 'anergy', no idea of I'd agree with it. I'm out of the lab a long time now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anergy
MCharcoal

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:06 pm
@mismi,
This IS the season for it...
I have been to my Md, took the meds, swished on the cream, (itching to death in spots) went on the diet.... BUT, no SUGAR and NO ARTIFICIAL SWEET'NER did me in... wasted my medical trip.... now I am BACK to itching, burning red spots, dry skin, hair falling out;
and Craving, YES CRAVING all I am NOT supposed to eat. I know Candida Albicans very well. Not my first trip around this block. (with aching joints.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll add that I don't get what the f the wiki person is saying, but that may be useful or not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:31 pm
@mismi,
A friend of the family has been on a very strict diet as a result of severe yeast overgrowth problems for hmmmmm mebbe close to 20 years. They apparently id'd the yeast probs as the cause of her infertility. After about a year and a half on the diet (and it is strict - among other things - NO prepared foods - no canned goods - no frozen foods - etc etc) she conceived and went on to have two sons.

Her problems in a lot of areas cleared up on the diet - and she lost about 30 pounds fairly rapidly. Better skin and hair, less joint pain, the all-over itching went away.

Her diet was how quite a few of us learned about kosher/halal chicken. I don't think I'd last very long on it - but I've kept up with some of the better ingredients we started using at the time.

I recall that giving up pickles was one of her biggest fusses in the early years.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 08:09 pm
My sister landed in the hospital recently with a severe case of thrush, one of the uglier manisfestations of this stuff. Took quite awhile for them to get it under control. She's finally on the mend now without an absolute diagnosis of anything but had five admissions in rapid succession with us all fearing the worst. It was very frustrating and stressful.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 09:38 pm
@Foxfyre,
I'm familiar, not on a personal level, with rampant yeast. This is serious stuff.

You and your sister have my sympathy and more,
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
@mismi,
I have a friend who had a chronic case of eczema for many years, and was finally told to go on a diet that cut out yeast completely. It took many months, but it eventually worked, and his eczema cleared up. Now he limits yeast, and takes acidophilus every now and then, and keeps his skin condition in check. He didn't like the dietary restrictions, but they worked.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Osso. The first diagnosis they came up with was Pancreatitis with the thrush as a side effect or something. But that didn't really hold up for certain so they suggested it was probably a bad gall bladder triggering the Pancreatitis. So after five hospitalizations and finally being discharged without needing to be put back into an ambulance within 48 hours, I took her to the surgeon last Friday to see about the gallbladder. Verdict. Her gallbladder is fine. The surgeon assured her it doesn't need to come out.

Five hospitalizations and no diagnosis.

Sigh.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 09:54 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Thanks Osso. The first diagnosis they came up with was Pancreatitis with the thrush as a side effect or something. But that didn't really hold up for certain so they suggested it was probably a bad gall bladder triggering the Pancreatitis. So after five hospitalizations and finally being discharged without needing to be put back into an ambulance within 48 hours, I took her to the surgeon last Friday to see about the gallbladder. Verdict. Her gallbladder is fine. The surgeon assured her it doesn't need to come out.

Five hospitalizations within six weeks and no diagnosis.

Sigh.
0 Replies