0
   

OBAMA TRIED TO STALL GIS' IRAQ WITHDRAWAL

 
 
Woiyo9
 
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:54 am
WHILE campaigning in public for a speedy withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Sen. Barack Obama has tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence.

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/obama_tried_to_stall_gis_iraq_withdrawal_129150.htm

YOU DO NOT PLAY POLITICS WITH THE LIVES OF OUR SOLDIERS!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,244 • Replies: 44

 
H2O MAN
 
  -3  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:56 am
@Woiyo9,
Quote:
YOU DO NOT PLAY POLITICS WITH THE LIVES OF OUR SOLDIERS!!


Obama does and there are many that want to reward him for it.

0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:39 am
@Woiyo9,
How is this delaying the removal of troops? If the current adminstration strikes a deal for a 100 year troop presence doesn't that keep the troops there longer than if the Iraqi government waits until a new US adminstration pulls them out in six months?
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:10 am
@Woiyo9,
Um... Where does it say anything remotely like it was to stall the withdrawal?

Delay an agreement, OK. Delay the withdrawal? Not so much.
Woiyo9
 
  2  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:24 am
@DrewDad,
Read the article!

Delay the agreement to withdraw troops??
parados
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:52 am
@Woiyo9,
So then your title is just a gross mischaracterization. OK.. we got that. Do you get it?
Woiyo9
 
  3  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:57 am
@parados,
How? He tried to delay the withdrawal of the troops.

Because you do not want to believe it is your problem.
Cycloptichorn
 
  3  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:57 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

How? He tried to delay the withdrawal of the troops.

Because you do not want to believe it is your problem.


Are you intentionally beings stupid? Or is it for effect?

He didn't try to delay the withdrawal of any troops, ya knucklehead.

Cycloptichorn
parados
 
  2  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:04 am
@Woiyo9,
Oh?

So Bush was going to pull all the troops out before Nov 5th and now because of Obama they won't be coming home?

Your argument is silly Woiyo. Almost as silly as the article that claims the Bush agreement is 2-3 years but the pull out won't happen until 2011-12.
2-3 years from today is 2010-11. So either there won't be an agreement until after the election according to the Bush admin or the author of the article has his head up his behind.
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:08 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo, try to track this:

Despite the title, the article presents no evidence that Obama attempted to delay removing troops from Iraq.
0 Replies
 
revel
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:18 am
Is the article talking about the same security agreement the Bush administration has been pushing which does not mention any firm timetables but more of a "time horizon" for withdrawal of troops and which they tried to have permanent bases?

Talk about slinging mud to see what sticks.
0 Replies
 
Woiyo9
 
  3  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Excuse me ????

What part of this do you not understand?

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Obama insisted that Congress should be involved in negotiations on the status of US troops - and that it was in the interests of both sides not to have an agreement negotiated by the Bush administration in its "state of weakness and political confusion."

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open." Zebari says.

Though Obama claims the US presence is "illegal," he suddenly remembered that Americans troops were in Iraq within the legal framework of a UN mandate. His advice was that, rather than reach an accord with the "weakened Bush administration," Iraq should seek an extension of the UN mandate.

While in Iraq, Obama also tried to persuade the US commanders, including Gen. David Petraeus, to suggest a "realistic withdrawal date." They declined.

Obama has made many contradictory statements with regard to Iraq. His latest position is that US combat troops should be out by 2010. Yet his effort to delay an agreement would make that withdrawal deadline impossible to meet.

This piece of **** is trying to play politics and you assholes support his effort?

parados
 
  2  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@Woiyo9,
The troop withdrawal is NOT set to happen prior to the election.

Obama did NOT attempt to stop any withdrawal between now and the election.

What part don't YOU understand?
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  4  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:42 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

Excuse me ????

What part of this do you not understand?

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Obama insisted that Congress should be involved in negotiations on the status of US troops - and that it was in the interests of both sides not to have an agreement negotiated by the Bush administration in its "state of weakness and political confusion."

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open." Zebari says.

Though Obama claims the US presence is "illegal," he suddenly remembered that Americans troops were in Iraq within the legal framework of a UN mandate. His advice was that, rather than reach an accord with the "weakened Bush administration," Iraq should seek an extension of the UN mandate.

While in Iraq, Obama also tried to persuade the US commanders, including Gen. David Petraeus, to suggest a "realistic withdrawal date." They declined.

Obama has made many contradictory statements with regard to Iraq. His latest position is that US combat troops should be out by 2010. Yet his effort to delay an agreement would make that withdrawal deadline impossible to meet.

This piece of **** is trying to play politics and you assholes support his effort?



I understand that you

A) don't know what the f*ck you are talking about - again

and

B) are getting a little desperate and shrill.

Bush and McCain both opposed any sort of withdrawal until the Iraqis basically forced them into it. I didn't see you yelling about 'playing politics' back then. So save your false indignation, ass.

Cycloptichorn
Woiyo9
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Then you are an idiot.

You continue to lose the battle of ideas and all you have left are empty criticism.

That makes you a LOSER!!!!!
parados
 
  2  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:49 am
@Woiyo9,
That's nice that you resorted to name calling along with Cyclo but...

You still haven't provided any evidence that troops were coming home prior to the election and Obama stopped them from coming home.

Bush has said troops will be there for several more years.
Cycloptichorn
 
  3  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:53 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

That's nice that you resorted to name calling along with Cyclo but...

You still haven't provided any evidence that troops were coming home prior to the election and Obama stopped them from coming home.

Bush has said troops will be there for several more years.


There's no point in engaging Woiyo any longer on this issue; he's not actually interested in discussing the details, but rather attacking Obama, and nothing you say will change that. Might as well just call him out on his bullshit.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix
 
  3  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Woiyo9 wrote:

Excuse me ????

What part of this do you not understand?

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Obama insisted that Congress should be involved in negotiations on the status of US troops - and that it was in the interests of both sides not to have an agreement negotiated by the Bush administration in its "state of weakness and political confusion."

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open." Zebari says.

Though Obama claims the US presence is "illegal," he suddenly remembered that Americans troops were in Iraq within the legal framework of a UN mandate. His advice was that, rather than reach an accord with the "weakened Bush administration," Iraq should seek an extension of the UN mandate.

While in Iraq, Obama also tried to persuade the US commanders, including Gen. David Petraeus, to suggest a "realistic withdrawal date." They declined.

Obama has made many contradictory statements with regard to Iraq. His latest position is that US combat troops should be out by 2010. Yet his effort to delay an agreement would make that withdrawal deadline impossible to meet.

This piece of **** is trying to play politics and you assholes support his effort?



I understand that you

A) don't know what the f*ck you are talking about - again

and

B) are getting a little desperate and shrill.

Bush and McCain both opposed any sort of withdrawal until the Iraqis basically forced them into it. I didn't see you yelling about 'playing politics' back then. So save your false indignation, ass.

Cycloptichorn


When faced with an impossible question, Cyc pulls back into turtle neck sweater and leaves us with insults and redirection away from the topic. Basically his reply is "You are ass from bringing this up and Bush/McCain are worse."

Why would Obama even approach the Iraqi ministers with this idea? I suspect he wanted to have the limelight shine on his annoited head showing the world how only he, Obama the Mighty, could give Iraq the peace the Dems in America so desperately want. It's a power play and IS playing politics but heaven forbid Cyc be able to actually see beyond the red cape dangled in front of him.
Cycloptichorn
 
  3  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:05 pm
@McGentrix,
Well, other then the word of the one Iraqi, there's no real evidence that Obama did in fact say anything of the sort like this. So pardon me if I don't take the NY Sun's word as gold.

And it doesn't even match the narrative. Delaying the agreement until an Obama administration would likely have resulted in FASTER troop withdrawals. What Woiyo portrayed it as doesn't logically follow, which I'm sure I don't have to point out to you, McG.

Cycl0ptichorn

on edit - Here's the Obama camp response to this:

Quote:

An Obama aide accused Taheri of confusing the Status of Forces agreement with a Strategic Framework Agreement, for which Obama has pushed for congressional review.

"This article bears as much resemblance to the truth as a McCain campaign commercial. Barack Obama has consistently called for any Strategic Framework Agreement to be submitted to the U.S. Congress so that the American people have the same opportunity for review as the Iraqi Parliament," said Obama spokeswoman Wendy Morigi. "Unlike John McCain, he supports a clear timetable to redeploy our troops that has the support of the Iraqi government. Barack Obama has never urged a delay in negotiations, nor has he urged a delay in immediately beginning a responsible drawdown of our combat brigades."


So suck it, Republicans. Get your facts right if you want the attacks to carry any weight with anyone.
H2O MAN
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:13 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:


When faced with an impossible question, Cyc pulls back into turtle neck sweater and leaves us with insults and redirection away from the topic.


That's Cyclotroll's SOP.

0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » OBAMA TRIED TO STALL GIS' IRAQ WITHDRAWAL
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.06 seconds on 04/26/2019 at 04:39:02