So why is IKE such a big deal??

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:32 am
How can Bush et al, after denying Katrina victims the kind of help and support that Hurricane Ike victims are getting right now - there is one question I'm asking myself. HOW can this happen?? HOW CAN THIS BE?? This makes vme so angry. Katrina was the WORST disaster to hit the United States in many years but IT was ignored.

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 06:30 am
@babsatamelia,
Since Katrina illustrated how inept local and Stat govt is in handling issues related to their State, as usual, the Feds had to take a bigger hand in addressing a State/Local issue.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 06:38 am
I don't think the two events are all that similar. Ike (and Hugo and Andrew, etc) came in, tore up a lot of stuff and then left. Infrastructure was still in place, power could be restored, roads were open, etc. It's a pain, but it's also an easy fix, especially when help can come the next day. When the levies failed, there was nothing left in New Orleans. No roads, power, food, limited medical facilities, no jobs, lots of people in need instead of lots of people ready to jump in and clean up the mess. Look at Metairie next door to New Orleans. (The 17th street levy that failed is between Metairie and New Orleans.) They got your typical hurricane; some flooding, lack of power, downed trees. Three weeks later, their schools were open, the power was back, businesses were up and running again.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 06:41 am
@babsatamelia,
Katrina will be remembered as the worst storm to hit EAST of New Orleans and for
the inept democrat leadership in Louisiana that totally let the people in NO down.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 03:28 pm
@babsatamelia,
As a human who obsrve the nasty sytem( legal, political, cultural, moral, ethical add some eptithets) i feel extremely sorry for those who made USA as the only laughing stock in this world.
my address
56 josef str
533285 Köln
Germany
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
@babsatamelia,
This is such a ridiculous post on so many levels that it's hard to muster the will to respond.

First of all, let's assume that you are correct and that everyone (not just the federal government) ignored the victims of Katrina, does this mean that they should ignore the victims of every other hurricane (i.e. Ike)?

IKE didn't limit his devastation to Texas, nor have federal state, local and private agencies limited their response to Texas.

Secondly, the notion that Katrina was the "WORST" disaster to hit the US in "many" years is specious unless by "many" you mean four or five.

Thirdly, the claim that the damages caused by Katrina were ignored is simply untrue.

Clearly you are so very angry, but you need to calm down and consider the facts with intelligence.

0 Replies