usage of "family"

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:59 pm
Hello, does "family" always refer to a group with children?

For example, Can I say "I currently reside in this area with my family"
when the family is only my husband and I?

Thanks!

George

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:04 pm
@aquestion,
I'd say most people use the term when they speak more than two people, but
I wouldn't say this is always the case.

Here's the definition the Census uses:
Quote:
A family is a group of two people or more (one of whom is the householder) related by birth, marriage, or adoption and residing together; all such people (including related subfamily members) are considered as members of one family. Beginning with the 1980 Current Population Survey, unrelated subfamilies (referred to in the past as secondary families) are no longer included in the count of families, nor are the members of unrelated subfamilies included in the count of family members. The number of families is equal to the number of family households, however, the count of family members differs from the count of family household members because family household members include any non-relatives living in the household

Gotta love the bureaucracy!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:34 pm
@George,
My use of the word "family" incorporates some of my friends and their family members. When my best friend was alive, we attended important "family" functions together that included holidays, weddings, birthdays (birth), and funerals. To me, they will always remain my "family."
0 Replies