Native Americans Perspective

Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:46 am
WASHINGTON - As Gov. Sarah Palin worked overtime at the Republican National Convention to make her views better known, Native Republicans began to speak out on their admiration for the governor from Alaska.

''If she and Sen. McCain are elected, it would provide a basis for a stronger Indian policy,'' said W. Ron Allen, a member of the American Indians for McCain Coalition and chairman of the Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe.

''McCain has a strong background in Indian country and understands it quite well. ... and she has familial and Alaska Native insights that I think enhance the ticket's commitment to tribes.''

Palin, the first female Republican vice presidential candidate is married to Todd Palin, who is of Yup'ik Eskimo descent. Their five children are also of Alaska Native heritage.

''I am delighted by her selection,'' said Jana McKeag, a co-chair of American Indians for McCain Coalition who attended the convention. ''I think she brings a fresh face to the party, and she's a go getter. She's always looking at how to fix things. And we still have a lot of things out there in Indian country that need to be fixed.''

Added McKeag, a member of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma: ''We need strong leadership for this country that is familiar with Indian country. Both Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin can hit the ground running.''

Indian supporters of the McCain/Palin ticket said they were pleased to have not one, but two, candidates running from states with large Native constituencies. The senator from Arizona presided over the U.S. Senate Indian Affairs Committee for several years, while Palin leads a state that contains more than 225 of the 560-plus federally-recognized tribes in the U.S.

http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096418155

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:51 am
@Woiyo9,
Interesting Woiyo. I don't have any stats readily available, but based on the general trends here in New Mexico where there is a sizable Native American populaton, it seems the Indian tribes have mostly favored Democrats for some time now. It is refreshing to see at least one demographic that is willing to recognize some plusses in Republicans.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:01 am
@Foxfyre,
You might be surprised....... In your State, Gore won by less than 1%. I urge you to read the entire link.

Native Voters Could Affect 2004 Elections

Since first being granted citizenship 80 years ago, Native Americans have become increasingly active in the electoral process. Several major elections in 2004 will be heavily influenced by Native American issues and Native voting patterns, including Senate races in Washington, Oklahoma, Alaska, and South Dakota; the Gubernatorial race in Montana; and the Presidential race in New Mexico, Arizona, Oregon, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

http://democrats.senate.gov/dpc/dpc-new.cfm?doc_name=sr-108-2-283

With their increased political participation, Native Americans have become an increasingly powerful voting bloc.5 In 2000, the Indian vote was credited with defeating Senator Slade Gorton in Washington State. In 2002, the Indian vote helped retain a Senate seat for Senator Johnson in South Dakota, who won by just over 500 votes, and the Arizona gubernatorial seat for Janet Napolitano. In 2004, after a Democratic candidate won a special Congressional election in South Dakota, the power of the Native American voting block was expressed by the former chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee Rep. Tom Davis (R-Va.), "If you take out the Indian reservation, we would have won."

However, it has been a long and difficult road to this newfound political participation and influence. Native Americans were denied the right to vote longer than any other community in the United States, and they continue to struggle against ongoing disenfranchisement and voter supression actions.

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:10 am
@Woiyo9,
Wow, great website and really interesting stuff. Since the majority of Native Americans do seem to be tilting right of center, I trust it is not the Republicans who are perceived as being the group practicing discrimination, voter suppression, etc?
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:14 am
@Foxfyre,
Well, I am not too sure about that.

However, I am not surprised that the majority of Natives tilt to the right.

Natives want small govt, no interference etc... Maybe on some environmental issues Native would favor the left, but we all know how the "left" has let's us all down in this regard.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:31 am
If Native Americans become republicans it will be the final surrender and assimilation into the white man's world. Took long enough, and your ancestors will be weeping in the afterlife no doubt. But since your candidate is John McCain...an expert on sticking his head up the ass of and embracing someone who eviscerated him mercilessly....well, I get it.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:31 am
@Woiyo9,
Yes, through professional contacts, I agree that the Native American peoples are mostly a pretty independent lot. The Native American tribes in New Mexico occupy some of the most beautiful land, and they don't screw it up so I appreciate your comment on environmentalism too. Anyhow thanks again for that website. It is very interesting and informative.

(I notice that New Mexico was one of the worst offenders in voter disenfranchisement re Native Americans. I'm not surprised since we have had a few Republican governors but have never had a Republican controlled legislature in the history of the state. Smile)
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:36 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Your comments are so ignorant, that no reasonable person can comment.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:44 am
@Woiyo9,
truth sting a little bit? and you should change your title to ONE Native Americans perpspective....unless you speak for the entire Indian nation that is...
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:46 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

it seems the Indian tribes have mostly favored Democrats

Are the democrats still offering blankets?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:46 am
@Woiyo9,
I don't disagree with the Bear...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:50 am
I dont really know anything about Native American voting patterns or political perspectives, so this is interesting.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:52 am
@H2O MAN,
Not nice H2O. Anyhow Woiyo pretty well skewered my misconception about Native Americans preferring Democrats with that (Democrat) website he linked. The statistics and the information there is interesting. I recommend it to those attempting to stereotype a significant demographic here.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:52 am
@H2O MAN,
now there's a stretch....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:54 am
I do find it a pity that the article basically quotes three people to illustrate the McCain/Palin ticket's popularity among Native Americans, and two of them are people from the American Indians for McCain Coalition. I mean, well, duh, of course they would say that. Would be interested in info that pulls from a somewhat larger variety of views, maybe nonpartisan ones too, or maybe showing some polling or something.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:54 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You apparently do not know the "truth", so I might suggest you keep your racists rants to yourself.
alex240101

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:02 am
@Woiyo9,
Booz hoo
O' Shiyo Woiyo9

Here's a link to a great website.

The article is about Palins record on Alaska Native and Tribal issues. The publisher and editor, are husband and wife, are both Odawa.

http://turtletalk.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/palin-on-tribes/

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:02 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

I do find it a pity that the article basically quotes three people to illustrate the McCain/Palin ticket's popularity among Native Americans, and two of them are people from the American Indians for McCain Coalition. I mean, well, duh, of course they would say that. Would be interested in info that pulls from a somewhat larger variety of views, maybe nonpartisan ones too, or maybe showing some polling or something.

Well the piece was specifically about Republican Native Americans, Nimh, so it makes perfect sense that the obligatory few quotations would come from that group. The piece was balanced with comments about concerns about Palin too.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:11 am
@alex240101,
That seems interesting. Yet, based upon the 80% approval rating and the platform she ran on, it appears someone may have an axe to grind.

Sarah Palin policy positions
Jump to Comments

Speaker: Governor Sarah Heath Palin (AK)
Title: Sarah On Issues
Date: 01/01/0001
Speech

PHILOSOPHY IN GOVERNING - I look forward to building a team that will put Alaskans first! I believe in fairness and inclusion and will call on the public to work together for Alaska’s common good. I refuse to use divisive tactics that polarize us for political gain. As Mayor of Wasilla, the fastest growing area of Alaska; as President of the Alaska Conference of Mayor; as Chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission; and as a business owner and mom, I approached issues with a fair, balanced, common sense approach. I love the challenge of hiring and appointing the best people to serve with me and I will bring this positive approach to Alaska as Governor. In building a public service team, my commitment to my home state is to always put Alaskans first and never allow special interests to take advantage of us. I know that government has its place, and it should be limited. My focus is on education, public safety, infrastructure and access to our resources. As manager of our vast public resources, the Governor must act as an effective CEO on behalf of all Alaskans in negotiating the best deals for the state, and I am prepared to tackle that challenge.

GASOLINE - I am a conservative Republican, a firm believer in free market capitalism. A free market system allows all parties to compete, which ensures the best and most competitive project emerges, and ensures a fair, democratic process. I will communicate progress on gasoline negotiations to the public.

My Administration will pursue the plan that is best for ALL Alaskans. All qualified and viable proposals and applicants will be considered. How do we get there? Through a two-step process.

First, we acknowledge that the Stranded Gas Development Act (SGDA), under which the previous Administration negotiated with the "Big Three" producers (ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, and BP), no longer applies. The producers want to amend the SGDA to fit their proposed contract within the technical confines of that law. However, the Legislature’s own experts have testified that the gas can no longer be deemed "stranded" due to long-term economic conditions.

There are many companies and organizations that want to present competing proposals, such as Transcanada, Warren Buffet’s MidAmerican, Shell, Chevron, Anadarko, Doyon, CIRI, ANGDA, AGPA, and Pacific Star Energy. To date, none of these entities have sought exceptional tax treatment; they only want an opportunity to compete to build a pipeline, or a component of a Y-line, and to do so within a designated timeframe.

When negotiations are free of the SGDA, the door to competition, and creative profitable project proposals, is wide open. Once an "open season" can be held, any owner of gas can transport their product to market using one or more of the applicants’ proposals, including a proposal submitted by one or more of the Big Three producers.

Second, at the beginning of the next legislative session in January, my Administration will introduce a bill to the legislature seeking a "law of general application.” Our constitutional founders foresaw the danger of "special" deals, and specifically mandated laws of general application where possible. Alaska’s Constitution in Article 2, Section 19 requires that "The legislature shall not pass a local or special act if a general act can be made applicable."

The general application bill will set forth several key requirements for a natural gas line project, such as access to gas for Alaskan communities, jobs for Alaskans, pre-construction benchmarks, pipeline expansion provisions that ensure further exploration for natural gas, a reasonable tariff structure, and legislative approval. The law would contain an option for fiscal agreements with the state, as did the SGDA.

The bill will also set forth compelling incentives to qualified applicants, just as the federal government has already done. Incentives guarantee quick commencement of the gas line project, and could include accelerated state permitting, commitments for infrastructure support (public roads, airports, rail, bridges, etc.), and economic impact assistance for local communities.

Once we have established this open and competitive environment, all qualified applicants and proposals will have the right to compete fairly, with no organization being given preference over any other.

Many entities are interested in Alaska’s resources and this gas pipeline project. This is simply business. This is conservative free market capitalism. This is how I govern. It may well be that the Big Three have the best proposal. Let’s find out.

PERMANENT FUND - I oppose tapping the Permanent Fund without a vote of the people and will stand up against those who would use it to pay for expanding government. The Fund is the investment we leave to future generations. The dividend is an important part of our economy and for some families this income is critical to their survival.

COMMERCIAL FISHING - I am a fishing family and am proud of our years as Bristol Bay fishermen. In standing up for the interests of Alaska’s fishermen and fishing communities I oppose actions that cut off Alaskans from our fisheries. I support successful marketing of our fantastic wild seafood and oppose fish farming near waters that affect Alaska. I will fairly appoint balanced fish and game boards and then let them do their job. I will not politicize board appointments as past administrations have done. I will appoint a strong lead person in the Governor’s office on fisheries and Ocean policy who will focus on these important issues and provide a clear contact point for the many commercial and person use fisheries groups in the state.

PERSONAL USE OF FISH AND GAME - I respect and support personal use of fish and game resources by all Alaskans. It’s an integral part of our culture and I’m happy to raise my children as I was raised: hunting and fishing in our great outdoors. I support the equal protection clause in our State Constitution and want to see the language remain intact so Alaskans don’t become divided over our access to wildlife. In the case of local severe shortages, I believe the local people should have priority access to these food resources.

SMALL BUSINESS - Alaska’s small business owners are the backbone of our regional economies. Small Alaskan-owned businesses should have just as much say in state policy as the big companies do. Our precious businesses are major employers of Alaskans and keep Alaska’s money circulating through our economy. As Mayor and CEO of the booming city of Wasilla, my team invited investment and encouraged business growth by eliminating small business inventory taxes, eliminated personal property taxes, reduced real property tax mill levies every year I was in office, reduced fees, and built the infrastructure our businesses needed to grow and prosper.

TOURISM - I recognize the importance of Alaska’s tourism industry and want to see more independent travelers "find" our great state. I support developing tourism infrastructure in rural communities that are inviting this economic development, and I’ll work tirelessly to promote Alaska in a positive, responsible and respectful manner.

OPEN PIT MINING - As part of a Bristol Bay fishing family myself, I would not support any resource development that would endanger the most sensitive and productive fishery in the world.

The State of Alaska has stringent laws and regulations already in place to prevent environmental problems. As Governor, I will empower our state regulators, oversight officers, and scientists to do their jobs in all areas of resource development. I promise all Alaskans my administration will enforce the laws to the letter and insure protection of our fishing and environmental resources so they will not be compromised or endangered by development.

The Pebble Mine is a lightening rod for any discussion of open pit mining. The Pebble management firm, Northern Dynasty Mines, Inc., has not yet submitted a plan for public review and comment so the specific impacts are unknown. From completion of exploration to development could take 10 years or better because of permitting issues, public hearings and lawsuits. From completion of exploration to development could take 10 years or better because of permitting issues, public hearings, and lawsuits. Northern Dynasty has a legal right to complete its studies and submit applications before the state judges the costs and benefits of the project.

TIMBER AND MINING - These industries have played a key role in Alaska’s history and can continue to play a major role in our future. Demanding safe and responsible operations gives us the ability to address local and national concerns about these industries so they can continue to provide needed jobs for Alaskans.

ALASKA’S SENIORS - I support funding our Seniors Longevity Bonus Program so the program can phase out on schedule, in agreement with public discussion years ago. The program was declining and it was a shame to see our esteemed pioneers face broken promises whey they were prematurely lopped off the program. I also support home and community based assistance programs, which are more cost effective than institutional alternatives and also allow seniors to stay in their homes and communities with dignity. Senior citizens will be respected in my administration and will receive our full respect and support. They are my delight and I will not let them down.

ALASKA’S MILITARY - Thank you military personnel! I support you. I respect our military personnel and understand the importance of Alaska’s National Guard. As I watched our military men and women being deployed I recognized how important it is for their families to know how much Alaska and America support them. I believe in "promoting from within" to provide continued good leadership that truly understands Alaska and will partner with our elected leaders to support our troops.

HEALTH CARE - Obviously, high medical costs are hurting Alaskans and our Medicaid budget has quadrupled in the past 10 years. Solutions to this problem are complex, and no one person has all the answers. I look forward to working with affected parties to find the necessary solutions that will lead to more affordable health care for Alaskans. I support flexibility in government regulations that allow competition in health care that is needed, and is proven to be good for the consumer, which will drive down health care costs and reduce the need for government subsidies. I also support patients in their rightful demands to have access to full medical billing information.

WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT - I will leverage job-training dollars through efficiencies in government, private sector partnerships, and responsible investments in job training opportunities that result in good jobs for Alaskans. I look forward to working with a cross section of citizen advisors who represent private sector employers’ educational institutions, union and non-union training programs and other workforce development professionals on the Alaska Workforce Investment Board. With their advice, we can meet the rapidly growing need for trained workers. I am a strong proponent of vocational and technical curriculum in our schools and will focus on this area to get our workforce ready for the future. I don’t want to see an importation of Alaska’s workforce when we have untapped talent here in the state, anxious for training and anxious for the opportunity to work.

GUN RIGHTS - I am a lifetime member of the NRA, I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska’s youth.

PUBLIC SAFETY - I support adequate funding for a strong public safety presence in Alaska. Feeling safe in our communities is something we cannot accept any compromise on. This includes policing in all its forms, the court system, prosecutors and corrections. If the legislature passed a death penalty law, I would sign it. We have a right to know that someone who rapes and murders a child or kills an innocent person in a drive by shooting will never be able to do that again.

SOCIAL ISSUES - I am pro life and I believe that marriage should only be between and man and a woman. I am opposed to any expansion of gambling in Alaska.

ENVIRONMENT AND COASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENT - I believe in protecting Alaska’s environment through fair enforcement of our environmental laws. Having a clean record on environmental regulation is critical to getting ANWR open and maintaining our fisheries mining, timber and tourism industries. I would also revisit the change in regulations on the Alaska Coastal Zone Management program in which the past administration by eliminating the rights of local districts to write specific local enforceable policies on important issues like subsistence.

FISH AND GAME ENFORCEMENT - The previous administration’s merging of the Fish and Wildlife Troopers into the State Troopers was and remains a big mistake. Fish and wildlife enforcement will never win out over public safety and the state has seen a significant decline in fish and wildlife protection and successful wildlife crime prosecution. Currently, the Department of Public Safety isn’t even recruiting candidates with backgrounds or educations in wildlife biology or resource management. As a lifelong Alaskan who grew up hunting and fishing, I recognize the importance of proper wildlife management to ensure that our fish and wildlife thrive. I will reinstate the Division of Fish and Wildlife Protection to ensure effective fish and game enforcement.

http://www.palinforgovernor.com/issues.html
http://themountainsage.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/sarah-palin-policy-positions/
nimh

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:13 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Anyhow Woiyo pretty well skewered my misconception about Native Americans preferring Democrats with that (Democrat) website he linked. The statistics and the information there is interesting.

The statistics are interesting, but they dont "skewer" the notion about Native Americans preferring Democrats, do they? I mean, if you're referring to the table?

All the table notes is: these are the states, this is how big a population group the NA's are, and this is the margin by which Bush or Gore won the state as a whole. That doesnt necessarily say much about how the NA's voted, specifically.

E.g., Oklahoma voted for Bush by 22%, and NA's make up 8% of the population there. That still leaves us speculating how the NA's actually voted. Every single NA could have voted Democratic, and if the rest of the population had voted for Bush by a 33% margin, you'd still have a 22% overall Bush lead. Or every single NA could have voted Republican, and if the rest of the population voted for Bush by 15%, you'd also have the same 22% overall Bush lead. So the table doesnt help there.
0 Replies