I'm in a pickle

alex240101

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
@ossobuco,
I was wondering if my long lost buddy ossobuco was going to grace my pickling page, with her culinary presence.
Toasted coriander, and sherry vinegar. That is ossolutely awesome. Smiling here in Michigan.
Thank you and very nice avatar.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:26 am
@alex240101,
<snort, re the gracing>

I've been reading along. I've done the easy refrigerator pickle thing, but not the canning type of pickling. I've even cheated and used the leftover juice from some Mezzetta olives (luxurious, profligate expense in the first place) to put in peeled and sliced raw carrots then back into the fridge, and lived to tell about it.
If I ever don't post for a few weeks, consider botulism...
alex240101

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Mezzetta make/made a sicilian olive that I enjoyed. Haven't seen them in years.
joshuaryan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
@alex240101,
Hey Everyone, I'm kind of in a pickle as well. I think I know the answer to this...but could use some advice. Last week, I sliced up my cucumbers and put them in a cooler with ice water and canning salt but didn't get to can them. It's been one week now and was just curious if they are ruined or if I should try to can them? They don't seem mushy, in fact, they seem extremely crispy right now. Any advice would be helpful. I'd hate to throw them out, but I'd also hate to waste 12 perfectly good lids. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:03 pm
@joshuaryan,
I don't know, but welcome to a2k, joshuaryan.

I had a similar question re making pesto yesterday, though that doesn't involve canning.. I had refrigerated basil too long (which I've since corroborated one shouldn't do), and it was the dark green that spinach and basil and other leaves can get when the atmosphere, e.g., plastic bag, is too wet. Not slimey, but not.. just right. I tossed it and used parsley instead, but it hurt to do it, given that I could have made two pestos. But I didn't want to make baaaaaaad pesto.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:00 am
@joshuaryan,
Hello joshuaryan. I missed your post. Well, how did your pickles turn out. I was curious about the amount of salt.

Pickle update. It has been almost a month. Beamed a flashlight under the stairs. The pickles look happy. Haven't popped open a jar yet.
What I have had is the "cheater" version, some of you mentioned. Great idea.
I noticed when the hot pickling liquid hits the pickle, the pickle turns from that fresh white/bright green skin color to an inside lime green color. Just like most pickles you see at ther grocery stores.
So, on my cheaters, I cooked the pickling liquid, then cooled it. Then. I added it to the jar of pickles. The appearance is much nicer.
I had six cheater jars. Seven people really enjoyed them, or, are good fibbers. I did notice that the jars with whole garlic cloves had just a slight hint, a of garlic taste. The jars with crushed garlic, were more flavored and favored.
A suprise. Near the end of my pickling, I had two jars left. I pickled mini brussels, carrots, green beans, parsley, hungarian, jalepeno, cayenne peppers, scallions and cauliflower. A mix of all, in each of the two jars. Next year, I will do more hodge podge jars.
mismi

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:40 pm
@alex240101,
YUM Alex...that sounds so good. I like cheater pickles - of course I like pickles period.
0 Replies