Hockey Moms vs. Soccer Moms

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
So the "Enough Club" is basically what I said it was, liberal or left-leaning columnists who probably weren't going to vote for McCain just saying they now like him even less.

OK, I'll grant that. I don't know how many of these people's minds actually changed from "I'm voting for McCain" to "now I'm not." But there has been a marked shift in coverage of McCain since a bit after he chose Palin. I think that's less important for whether the individuals who are covering McCain will personally vote for him or not, than in terms of what their coverage means in terms of "normal" everyday voters. (DTOM had some interesting anecdotal evidence on another thread.)

Quote:
sozobe wrote:
This is what polls are indicating, too. Palin is helping with core people (who are after all core) but not with independents et al. Obama has just tied the highest lead in Gallup that he's ever had. Etc.

I don't read either the literal data of the poll or the interpretation of the poll the way you do then. Because on the literal front I him leading by 6 at the most after the Palin/RNC bump and by as much as 8 in the days immediately before the Palin/RNC bump.

I think I erred in saying it was a tie for the highest lead. It was a tie for 50, his highest share. (That translated to an 8-pt lead the first time and a 6-pt lead this time.)

Quote:
As to Palin not helping with "independents" I'd agree but have been contending that independents are overrated. They aren't what McCain needs in this election cycle because he's on the wrong side of where they are going to lean anyway. After the Bush administration people who were in the middle aren't leaning right. McCain shouldn't abandon the Republican's base to try to court them.

The Republican base has been shrinking, though. There are less self-professed Republicans now than there were in 2000 or 2004. So if McCain wins just Republicans, and Obama wins just Democrats, Obama wins the election.

If Obama wins Democrats AND Independents, he so wins the election.

Tried to find a source for that (I'm pretty sure it's true but am not certain), found this from July:

Quote:
The saving grace for Republicans is that this does not appear to be a "base" election like the two won by George W. Bush. In 2000 and particularly 2004, both parties emphasized registering and turning out their own voters. This time, independents will be extremely important - a group that comprises roughly a quarter of the voters in party registration states. McCain's longtime appeal to independents gives him an opportunity to offset losses caused by a shrinking GOP base.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/07/a_new_electorate_in_the_making.html

Quote:
The polls may not show that it's working well enough to beat Obama but I don't think the polls show that this wasn't the only shot McCain had or that it's not helping. Despite a much weaker convention they got a bigger bounce that I ascribe to Palin.

That's arguable. Again I have to remember where I saw it and track it down, but a source I trust (Nate Silver?) said that Obama got the bigger convention bounce.

Quote:
Sure that's subsided but Palin's also gone into hiding (because she's a liability on the trail and needs to stretch the novelty for later in the campaign)

But that's exactly my point! I'm saying that she was a short-term gain and a long-time liability. "A liability on the trail" -- exactly!

Quote:
and McCain's bungled ads pretty hard and the economy fears got a lot worse (which helps Obama as he's seen as the stronger candidate for the economy in national polling).

I don't think there's anything in the poll data so far that suggests that Palin was a bad strategic pick for McCain.

I'm saying it's just starting to show, and I think it will get worse. Some upswings when she has occasion to act plucky and besieged, but overall, I think she's already done the most for McCain's ticket that she will. The energizing forces were that McCain picked someone so unexpected ("You maverick, you!"), that she was so unknown (massive coverage), that she's young, that she's pretty, that she chose to have a Down syndrome baby rather than abort, that she hunts moose -- it was about her story and her self, with a side trip into "hey, she can deliver a speech, cool."

But I don't think she'll deliver much beyond that. Which I think will lead to more short-term gains than long-term ones. (Short-term -- ~3 weeks after her selection. Long-term -- beyond that.)

Quote:
Perhaps just that it wasn't enough but I think if the data is showing anything it's that Palin gave the campaign new wings.

Again, short-term, yes. I've agreed with this several times. (And not just in this post.)

Quote:
I think the "too far" McCain ads and Wall Street are the biggest reasons that Obama's back in the lead and think that without Palin he would be pulling away into an even larger lead.

I disagree. I think that's part of it but I think that Palin is also a factor. Her favorability rankings have gone WAY down in just the past couple of weeks. She started out as the most popular of the four (McCain Obama Biden Palin) and is now the least popular. (Can track down the chart I'm thinking of.) I think that's directly attributable to the stuff that has been coming out about her, the lying about "Bridge to Nowhere," Troopergate, etc., etc.

And I think that will continue. The sheer amount of gratuitous, easily fact-checked lying she's doing is pretty amazing.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:13 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
The Republican base has been shrinking, though. There are less self-professed Republicans now than there were in 2000 or 2004. So if McCain wins just Republicans, and Obama wins just Democrats, Obama wins the election.

If Obama wins Democrats AND Independents, he so wins the election.

I agree with all of that, but think he was running the risk of not even getting the Republican base to vote. If that happened I can't see him winning enough independents from Obama to even have a shot at winning.

Quote:
That's arguable. Again I have to remember where I saw it and track it down, but a source I trust (Nate Silver?) said that Obama got the bigger convention bounce.

I know what post you are talking about (and yes it's Nate Silver). He was basically saying that measuring the McCain bounce from the pre-DNC levels shows less of a bounce but measuring it from pre-RNC levels alone indicate more of a bounce.

I thought he had a decent point but that the point was that the numbers were more complex than just measuring the days before and the days after and not so much that Obama had a bigger bounce.

Quote:
But that's exactly my point! I'm saying that she was a short-term gain and a long-time liability. "A liability on the trail" -- exactly!

But I think only politics junkies would even know if she's on the trail or not. I think a lot of the people who are excited to have her on the ticket just want someone who they identify with there and won't be swayed by debates and campaigning anyway. As long as she doesn't screw up too much I think she's done the job they intend her to do.

I guess what I'm saying is that Biden is a guy who can campaign a bit, but he's not going to bring Obama anything substantial there either. Palin needs to be kept away from the cameras except for some scripted moments but she's bringing a lot more to the table than a guy like Biden could do for McCain.

Quote:
and McCain's bungled ads pretty hard and the economy fears got a lot worse (which helps Obama as he's seen as the stronger candidate for the economy in national polling).

I don't think there's anything in the poll data so far that suggests that Palin was a bad strategic pick for McCain.

Quote:
I'm saying it's just starting to show, and I think it will get worse. Some upswings when she has occasion to act plucky and besieged, but overall, I think she's already done the most for McCain's ticket that she will.

I think I agree and don't really see a lot more bouncing going on on the McCain side without some kind of surprise, but without that couple of percentage points she brought to the table I don't see any way McCain could compete.

Quote:
But I don't think she'll deliver much beyond that. Which I think will lead to more short-term gains than long-term ones. (Short-term -- ~3 weeks after her selection. Long-term -- beyond that.)

But do you think what she brought to the table is going away?

Quote:
I disagree. I think that's part of it but I think that Palin is also a factor. Her favorability rankings have gone WAY down in just the past couple of weeks.

Take any relatively unknown person on earth, put them on the Republican ticket right now and I guarantee you'll see their disapproval ratings soar because most of the people on the other side of the aisle will stop linking you. And that's largely what happened, the number of people who liked her didn't change much, the people who didn't is where almost all the change took place.

Those "Palin Favorability is tanking" stories I read are all referencing this data:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/15/122356/840/535/599497
Code:
Approve Disapprove No Opinion

9/11: 52 35 13 +17
9/12: 51 37 12 +14
9/13: 49 40 11 +9
9/14: 47 42 11 +5
9/15: 47 43 10 +4

From that you can see that the people who view her favorably didn't move nearly as much as the people who didn't. What I think this shows is that she's established herself as a lightning rod much like Hillary is with a big group of people on one side that love her and a big group on the other that hates her.

On that same page you'll see McCain's ratings slipping, but as the post notes there was a lot of backlash over these ads and Rove had even chastised him publicly.

The bad ad stuff was pretty big, it transcended politics to become enough of a part of pop culture that SNL just led off their show with it:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/21/63316/4624/805/605329

Quote:
She started out as the most popular of the four (McCain Obama Biden Palin) and is now the least popular. (Can track down the chart I'm thinking of.)

I think that's just a function of her entering the polarized race. She had astronomical ratings that none of those 4 could have held on this stage. Half the country had no reason to care about her and now half the country doesn't much like her.

I bet Obama had better approval ratings before running for president as well.

Quote:
I think that's directly attributable to the stuff that has been coming out about her, the lying about "Bridge to Nowhere," Troopergate, etc., etc.

And I think that will continue. The sheer amount of gratuitous, easily fact-checked lying she's doing is pretty amazing.

I see it as being about 3-4% the dishonesty that the McCain/Palin campaign trafficked in and about 7-8% just solidifying her role as a lightning rod.

Whether or not it will continue is one of the most interesting questions to me right now. If McCain doesn't tone it down now that he's been smacked down by all the columnists and by Rove and now that his ads are becoming stereotyped as sleazy (I wish I could transcribe the SNL skit for you, but the words don't do it justice and it's the guy's voice that makes the skit) they'd be insane to not tone it down a notch (and keep Palin in a closet for 3-4 weeks).
nimh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:06 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

forget Hockey and Soccer, now it's
Quote:
The Wal-Mart Frontier
“Wal-Mart moms” may be the key to this election. And a certain gun-toting governor in red shoes is selling them what they want.

http://nymag.com/news/politics/powergrid/50277/

Quote:
“Her appeal is such an emotional appeal, I just don’t think issues matter much,” says Georges. “The McCain people have used her to turn Obama into the conventional politician. If you can step away from it and not be partisan, you just have to admit that it’s an incredibly neat trick, one of the cleverest things I’ve seen in my time in politics. If she doesn’t screw up, I really think she becomes transformative.” [..]

The question is whether all this will sink in with voters"or be overwhelmed by her celebrification.

Hmm. No doubt Palin was something of a genius stroke on the part of McCain. His candidacy was, although he had already been recovering a little, still in a pale state, and choosing Palin gave it a new injection of energy and appeal.

Nevertheless, I think the author is overstating things a fair bit. He's gotten caught up in the hype a bit too much. If you'd believe him, Palin is an electrifying vote-puller, the new celebrity, who outshines even Obama in popular appeal. But less than three weeks after she was presented to the public there's little sign anymore of any kind of unusual, emotional appeal to the voter at large. She certainly electrifies the Republican base, but otherwise her popularity is right in the same range of the three men on the tickets.

When measuring how favorable people's impressions of candidates are, every pollster asks the question in a different way: some just offer the choice between favorable or unfavorable, some explicitly offer "undecided" or "neutral" as third choice, others offer more of a range of choices, distinguishing between "strongly" and "somewhat" favorable or unfavorable. So the data between pollsters is hard to compare. But it's easy to compare how each of the candidates measures up within the one poll.

This table shows the results of the last three national, non-tracking polls that have been asked about favorability, according to pollingreport.com. And it doesnt look like Palin is especially popular among the candidates; she does no better better than the other three.

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/79/favorabilityratingsqf3.png
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Those "Palin Favorability is tanking" stories I read are all referencing this data:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/15/122356/840/535/599497

OK, I only now read up on the whole thread. For possibly silly reasons, I dont entirely trust the Research 2000/Daily Kos tracking poll. But the regular, national (non-tracking) polls cited above at least show that Palin isn't particularly outperforming any of the other candidates on the tickets.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:17 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I agree with all of that, but think he was running the risk of not even getting the Republican base to vote. If that happened I can't see him winning enough independents from Obama to even have a shot at winning.

He was definitely in a tough spot even before he chose Palin.

Quote:
I know what post you are talking about (and yes it's Nate Silver). He was basically saying that measuring the McCain bounce from the pre-DNC levels shows less of a bounce but measuring it from pre-RNC levels alone indicate more of a bounce.

I thought he had a decent point but that the point was that the numbers were more complex than just measuring the days before and the days after and not so much that Obama had a bigger bounce.

I did see "a bigger bounce" somewhere -- that wasn't what I'd thought and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I'll see if I can track it down.

Quote:
But I think only politics junkies would even know if she's on the trail or not.

I don't think so. I think people are sensitive to the idea of a candidate hiding something. "What's she scared of? If she can't face the press, how can she face Ahmadinejad?" Etc. And this really ties in with other stuff going on, too. ("What's she scared of with the Troopergate investigation?" Etc.)

Quote:
I think a lot of the people who are excited to have her on the ticket just want someone who they identify with there and won't be swayed by debates and campaigning anyway. As long as she doesn't screw up too much I think she's done the job they intend her to do.

I agree. Past tense. "She's done the job..." NOW what?

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that Biden is a guy who can campaign a bit, but he's not going to bring Obama anything substantial there either. Palin needs to be kept away from the cameras except for some scripted moments but she's bringing a lot more to the table than a guy like Biden could do for McCain.

I think Biden is doing well in Rust Belt areas right now. I've seen several quotes from formerly-undecided people who have been impressed with him. And he brings something to OBAMA's table in a way he maybe couldn't with McCain -- the whole experienced, sage elder thing. Reassuring. Plus the meta stuff about how Obama went about choosing his VP vs. how McCain did. (One's a serious choice with governing in mind, one's an unserious choice with electioneering in mind.)

Then there is the VP debate, of course.

Quote:

I think the precipitous drop-off in favorability and the "you have GOT to be kidding me" reaction from formerly at least somewhat sympathetic members of the media are both bad indicators. But again I'm doing more prediction here than analysis of what's already happening.

Quote:
I think I agree and don't really see a lot more bouncing going on on the McCain side without some kind of surprise, but without that couple of percentage points she brought to the table I don't see any way McCain could compete.

I don't completely disagree with this. I think McCain faced some real issues in terms of who to choose. I think Romney, for example, would have given him some real economics bona fides, which he needs, but I think they basically hated each other and it would have been messy in other ways. I don't think there was ANY slam-dunk choice available.

But I think the Palin pick will end up hurting him more than she helps him.

Quote:

I don't think it's going away entirely, no. I just think its moment of greatest impact has passed.

Quote:
Take any relatively unknown person on earth, put them on the Republican ticket right now and I guarantee you'll see their disapproval ratings soar because most of the people on the other side of the aisle will stop linking you. And that's largely what happened, the number of people who liked her didn't change much, the people who didn't is where almost all the change took place.

[...]

I think that's just a function of her entering the polarized race. She had astronomical ratings that none of those 4 could have held on this stage. Half the country had no reason to care about her and now half the country doesn't much like her.

But then why would the favorability ratings start out high in the week or two after she was picked, and THEN tank? She was announced as McCain's VP on August 29th; the first poll in the KOS thing you posted was September 11th, two weeks later.

Quote:

Found this:

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/20080318favorable3.gif

He announced he would run for president on February 10th, 2007.

Quote:
I see it as being about 3-4% the dishonesty that the McCain/Palin campaign trafficked in and about 7-8% just solidifying her role as a lightning rod.

Whether or not it will continue is one of the most interesting questions to me right now.

Yeah, me too.

Quote:
If McCain doesn't tone it down now that he's been smacked down by all the columnists and by Rove and now that his ads are becoming stereotyped as sleazy (I wish I could transcribe the SNL skit for you, but the words don't do it justice and it's the guy's voice that makes the skit)

Thanks for the thought, sounds like it was good.

Quote:
they'd be insane to not tone it down a notch (and keep Palin in a closet for 3-4 weeks).

Her VP debate with Biden is in only 10 days -- that'll be interesting. I could really see it going either way. Scenario 1 -- Biden traps her in a lie (in a courtly, respectful way) and she sputters and has nowhere to go and looks bad. Scenario 2 -- Biden tries to trap her but she barely escapes and cries sexism and bullying to good effect. (There are of course many more scenarios than that, too, including the possibility of a monster Biden gaffe, or even offsetting gaffes with Palin getting the benefit of the doubt since she's the newbie...)

I think the McCain team really likes the idea of being on the offensive and trying to get into Obama's head, so I think they're not gong to tone it down too much. We'll see.
nimh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:42 am
In terms of additional info, Rasmussen did a quirky poll, which it released on Tue 16 Sept: it polled hypothetical match-ups between the four candidates.

Results:

Obama vs Palin: 50% vs 43% (+7)
Biden vs Palin: 44% vs 47% (-3)
Biden vs McCain: 45% vs 49% (-4)

Unfortunately, they didnt list the results for the regular, Obama vs McCain race, instead just referring to their daily tracking poll results on that one -- and it's not quite clear whether that's based on the same surveyed group. In any case, that day's results for the main matchup were:

Obama vs McCain: 47% vs 48% (-1)

So: Palin did 8 points worse than McCain against Obama, and 1 point worse than McCain against Biden.

That's in itself hardly remarkable of course: the Presidential candidate matches up better than the Veep candidate! What else would you expect? After all, the same goes for Biden: he does 3 points worse than Obama against McCain, and 10 points worse than Obama against Palin.

But it may dampen all too hyped up accounts that have declared Palin the real vote puller of the Republican ticket now.

The real mystery: Biden loses by about equally the same margin against McCain and Palin; while Obama does much better against Palin than against NMcCain. Dunno why.
nimh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:52 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Her VP debate with Biden is in only 10 days -- that'll be interesting. I could really see it going either way. Scenario 1 -- Biden traps her in a lie (in a courtly, respectful way) and she sputters and has nowhere to go and looks bad. Scenario 2 -- Biden tries to trap her but she barely escapes and cries sexism and bullying to good effect. (There are of course many more scenarios than that, too, including the possibility of a monster Biden gaffe, or even offsetting gaffes with Palin getting the benefit of the doubt since she's the newbie...)

I read that the Veep debate, on the stubborn insistence of the McCain camp, will be very different in format from the Obama/McCain debates. Only time for short answers; and little or no opportunity for the two candidates to engage each other directly.

On the one hand this suggests that the McCain camp is afraid enough that she'll do badly to want to protect her in advance. So Dems could take hope from that. But on the other hand, well, they apparently got their way. They got the format that best suits Palin.

If there had been opportunities to go more in-depth or at length on something, or for one candidate to actively challenge/address the other, there would have been many pitfalls for Palin (also for Biden, of course, but that's how Palin could have been shown out of her depth). But now that it will come to short, snappy, vivid soundbites and impressions, Palin is very well placed - she's good at that. I already read two or three pieces about Alaskans warning that, dont underestimate her in debates - she's good when she can just be charming and pithy, she's good at soundbites.
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:57 am
@nimh,
How do you muster all this energy for such minute analysis of an election you have no say in, Nimh?
nimh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:59 am
@dlowan,
I am the Grand Emperor of Procrastination...
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 08:02 am
@nimh,
One is somewhat, but not fully, enlightened, oh great one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Just came across this:

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG " Five weeks ago, the St. Petersburg Times convened a group of Tampa Bay voters who were undecided about the presidential election. Their strong distrust of Barack Obama suggested it was a group ripe for John McCain to win over.

Not anymore. The group has swung dramatically, if unenthusiastically, toward Democrat Obama. Most of them this week cited the same reason: Sarah Palin.

"The one thing that frightens me more than anything else are the ideologues. We've seen too many," said 80-year-old Air Force veteran Donn Spegal, a lifelong Republican from St. Petersburg, who sees McCain's new running mate as the kind of "wedge issue" social conservative that has made him disenchanted with his party.

"I'm truly offended by Palin,'' said Republican Philinia Lehr, 37, of Largo, a full-time mother with a nursing degree who voted for George Bush in 2004. Like Palin, she has five children and she doesn't buy that the Alaska governor can adequately balance her family and the vice presidency.

(Excerpt, more at link)

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article818181.ece
sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 10:15 am
@nimh,
I saw that too -- NYT I think -- and shook my head at it. But then I was looking up the time of the debate on Friday and found this:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/commission-presidential-debates-hails-2008/story.aspx?guid=%7B4DA49F1B-1029-4B81-AF7C-1A7356829179%7D&dist=hppr

It lays out the specifics for the debates:

Quote:
First presidential debate: foreign policy and national security,
moderated by Jim Lehrer

Friday, September 26, University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.

-- Two-minute answers, followed by five-minute discussion for each
question.

Vice presidential debate: all topics, moderated by Gwen Ifill

Thursday, October 2, Washington University in St. Louis, Mo.

-- Ninety-second answers, followed by two-minute discussion for each
question. Two-minute closing statements.

Second presidential debate: all topics in town meeting format, moderated
by Tom Brokaw

Tuesday, October 7, Belmont University, Nashville, TN

-- Two-minute answers, followed by one-minute discussion for each
question.

Third presidential debate: the economy and domestic policy, moderated by
Bob Schieffer

Wednesday, October 15, Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.

-- Two-minute answers, followed by five-minute discussion for each
question. Two-minute closing statements.

I'm not sure that's really so terrible, in context. Two minutes for discussion -- that's where the back-and-forth is going to happen, right? McCain and Obama have two five-minute discussions and one one-minute discussion -- and that's the "all-topic" one, same as the VP debate. (The others are more specialized.)

By the way, yeah, I've read that stuff about not underestimating Palin's debate ability. It does sound like it was pretty domestic (Alaska-specific) debates though, and I think she was likely to know a lot more about that stuff than about the stuff that will be covered in the VP debate. It also sounds like her opponents were more, well, provincial -- easier to trap than I expect Biden will be. Maybe not though.

So looking forward to the debates!

(Did you see the thing about Michael Steele standing in for Obama as McCain prepares for their debate? What's up with that? Doesn't seem to have been definitely confirmed yet though.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 10:19 am
@nimh,
My prediction is that Biden ignores the format to a certain extent and does try to get her to respond to him. She won't have much choice but to attempt to do so; the alternative is to look weak, as if you are hiding behind the rules.

We've all watched enough debates to understand that if the two candidates want to go outside the framework, all they have to do is keep talking, and my guess would be that Biden can do that Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 03:16 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I did see "a bigger bounce" somewhere -- that wasn't what I'd thought and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I'll see if I can track it down.

I really think you are talking about the same post I am:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/09/did-mccain-really-get-bigger-bounce.html

Quote:
I don't think so. I think people are sensitive to the idea of a candidate hiding something. "What's she scared of? If she can't face the press, how can she face Ahmadinejad?" Etc. And this really ties in with other stuff going on, too. ("What's she scared of with the Troopergate investigation?" Etc.)

I don't disagree with that, but unless the press really pushes it it won't enter the conscience of the people who don't follow politics at all beyond the caricature level. So far I don't think it's been that negative for her but I think it has to do with the "rabidity" of the attacks on her because she can get a bit of sympathy to offset the suspicion.

As long as she sticks to being iconographic and just doing the sound bytes I think she'll get away with it.

Quote:
I agree. Past tense. "She's done the job..." NOW what?

Well as long as it sticks that's about all they can expect her addition to the ticket to achieve on its own. They then tried to attack Obama harshly to see if they could make up the rest of the difference but that seems to have backfired.

Now what is a very good campaign question for McCain and if they don't come up with a solution they aren't going to win. But Palin can't be expected to do more than just swing it a couple of percentage points just on the basis of her addition.

Quote:
I think Biden is doing well in Rust Belt areas right now. I've seen several quotes from formerly-undecided people who have been impressed with him. And he brings something to OBAMA's table in a way he maybe couldn't with McCain -- the whole experienced, sage elder thing. Reassuring. Plus the meta stuff about how Obama went about choosing his VP vs. how McCain did. (One's a serious choice with governing in mind, one's an unserious choice with electioneering in mind.)

I don't doubt that Biden's doing a decent job at campaigning but I don't think it has the same scale of impact as the cult-of-personality politics that Palin represents. So what I doubt is that Biden's addition and Biden's campaigning can do more for Obama's ticket than Palin's addition despite her inadequacy in campaigning.

Quote:
Then there is the VP debate, of course.

Should be very interesting. I absolutely detest the kind of "debate" that Palin seems to prefer (all slogan and not real answers, like a more coherent Rama) and would love to see it fall apart.
Quote:
I think the precipitous drop-off in favorability and the "you have GOT to be kidding me" reaction from formerly at least somewhat sympathetic members of the media are both bad indicators. But again I'm doing more prediction here than analysis of what's already happening.

I don't disagree, I just ascribe a lot more of it to their overall campaign dishonesty than Palin in particular. They've gone way too far if even Rove wants to distance himself from their strategy.

Quote:
But I think the Palin pick will end up hurting him more than she helps him.

Quote:

I don't think it's going away entirely, no. I just think its moment of greatest impact has passed.

Well if it doesn't go away I'd say it's hard to make the case that she hurt more than helped. Maybe that she didn't help enough but it doesn't look like a net negative to me now, and unless that changes I'd have a hard time seeing the net negative.

Quote:
But then why would the favorability ratings start out high in the week or two after she was picked, and THEN tank? She was announced as McCain's VP on August 29th; the first poll in the KOS thing you posted was September 11th, two weeks later.

My guess is that the swiftboating needs time to take effect.

Quote:
Quote:

Found this:

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/20080318favorable3.gif

He announced he would run for president on February 10th, 2007.

I don't think the announcement alone brings the tightening of the favorability rankings, the political attacks are what does it and they need to reach branding levels. To me his swiftboating started with the Wright issue and I remember his numbers sliding with the negative branding that continued after that.

Obama's Favorability Rating Slips in Polls

Quote:

It should be interesting but beyond whether she'll screw up I wonder when staying in the closet (off the campaign trail and limited to very scripted appearances) will stop being viable.

Quote:
I think the McCain team really likes the idea of being on the offensive and trying to get into Obama's head, so I think they're not gong to tone it down too much. We'll see.

He'd be insane not to tone down the more obvious dishonesty, but I don't think for a minute that he doesn't plan to attack. He's not going to just out campaign him to win on a positive note, and there's not a lot of time for Obama's campaign to hand them a gift. So I think he's left to hoping facts on the ground change (a terrorist attack would do to McCain what the economic meltdown is helping do for Obama) or that he can use negative branding to make the difference.

I think his best shot is in the culture war where they make it a Red vs. Blue issue but Obama's willing enough to tack right to make that hard. But if he's going to continue to do the kind of crap that SNL parodied I think he's going to only brand himself.

It's already entered the public conscience that McCain's ads are truth challenged so he's going to have even less suspension of disbelief to work with.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 03:22 pm
@sozobe,
Don't get me wrong, I know there are undecideds who will say that Palin is the final straw and I've seen my own anecdotal evidence for that as well. I just don't see those undecided guys as the kingmakers as much as I see turnout being the king maker.

I think Palin's benefit lies not in her ability to capture undecided folk so much as to excite people enough to motivate them to vote.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 03:28 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

(Did you see the thing about Michael Steele standing in for Obama as McCain prepares for their debate? What's up with that? Doesn't seem to have been definitely confirmed yet though.)

In the same category, Biden is using Jennifer Granholm as stand-in for Sarah Palin in his debate prep, and the guy playing McCain for Obama is "one of his few gray-haired advisers."
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 03:33 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
That's in itself hardly remarkable of course: the Presidential candidate matches up better than the Veep candidate! What else would you expect? After all, the same goes for Biden: he does 3 points worse than Obama against McCain, and 10 points worse than Obama against Palin.

But it may dampen all too hyped up accounts that have declared Palin the real vote puller of the Republican ticket now.

I don't think any of them are saying that Palin could run the top of the ticket or anything. Palin couldn't even win the Republican nomination much less the general election as the top of the ticket. But I think they are saying she's good branding and provided a lot of excitement as a VP pick and that doesn't mean she's a bigger draw than Obama or McCain just a good VP pick for their strategy.
nimh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 03:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That LA Weekly article raved about how Palin is is selling those Wal-Mart mums what they want, featuring assertions about how her appeal is such an emotional appeal that issues just don’t matter much anymore, how she has turned Obama into the conventional politician, how she could become "transformative", how voters might well be "overwhelmed by her celebrification".

I think that kind of talk is hype. She isnt rated higher in the polls than the other people on the ticket. The only difference between her and Biden is that Biden's favorability and unfavorability ratings are both a tad lower, but the difference is small and the net balance is comparable. There's just no sign in the polls of an overwhelming celebrification lifting Palin into the kind of emotional appeal where issues just dont matter anymore. Republicans really like her; Democrats dont like her; Independents are divided. Sounds like business as usual to me. Sounds like issues still matter.

I'm not saying that choosing Palin wasnt a smart move for McCain - I called it a genius stroke above, I believe. She gave his campaign a momentary new lease of life, and still helps energise the base. But thats it. She's useful. Considering the unfavorable fundamentals of public opinion for the Republicans this year, choosing someone like her was probably a necessity for the ticket to keep a real chance this November. But the talk of transformative celebrity is overstated -- more of an example of the punditry's need for a new sensation every week than anything else. And that's what I aimed to show with the graphs/polls.
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 04:34 pm
@nimh,
I wonder...are people in the US so accustomed to VP candidates being chosen more for their ability to woo difficult demographics for the candidate than for their abilities as politicians, that McCain choosing someone who is unable to manage normal campaigning and press questioning is not seen as a massive negative for him?

Really, for those accustomed to deputies being people who have also had to make their way up the political ladder with success, the whole thing defies belief.

Not that this means they are good people or good leaders....but at least they are capable of speaking for themselves and facing media scrums.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:13 pm
@nimh,
Ah gotcha, that does sound very hyperbolic.