Cindy McCain's $300,000 Outfit, but the McCains are not elitists?

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:31 pm
Cindy McCain's $300,000 Outfit
by Vanity FairSeptember 4, 2008, 10:29 AM

One of the persistent memes in the Republican line of attack against Barack Obama is the notion that he is an elitist, whereas the G.O.P. represent real working Americans like Levi “F-in’ Redneck” Johnston.

It caught our attention, then, when First Lady Laura Bush and would-be First Lady Cindy McCain took the stage Tuesday night wearing some rather fancy designer clothes. So we asked our fashion department to price out their outfits.

Laura Bush
Oscar de la Renta suit: $2,500
Stuart Weitzman heels: $325
Pearl stud earrings: $600"$1,500
Total: Between $3,425 and $4,325

Cindy McCain
Oscar de la Renta dress: $3,000
Chanel J12 White Ceramic Watch: $4,500
Three-carat diamond earrings: $280,000
Four-strand pearl necklace: $11,000"$25,000
Shoes, designer unknown: $600
Total: Between $299,100 and $313,100

Wow! No wonder McCain has so many houses: his wife has the price of a Scottsdale split-level hanging from her ears.

(All prices except Laura’s shoes and Cindy’s watch are estimates, and the jewelry prices are based on the assumption that the pieces are real.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,824 • Replies: 52

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
One of the persistent memes in the Republican line of attack against Barack Obama is the notion that he is an elitist..

And now it's a persistent meme for Democrats to use against the McCains. Vapidity won this round.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:55 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
(All prices except Laura’s shoes and Cindy’s watch are estimates, and the jewelry prices are based on the assumption that the pieces are real.)

Sounds like BBB has a bad case of wealth envy.
Wild guesstimations and nothing more.
hamburger

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:06 pm
@H2O MAN,
it was probably all purchased at the salvation army thrift shop , wouldn't you think ?
hbg
mysteryman

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
And how much of that outfit did Cindy McCain buy herself, therefore helping the economy?

How much of that outfit was borrowed for the event, just like the actors and actresses at the academy awards borrow clothes and jewels?

And if it was borrowed, then it wasnt hers and your complaint is meaningless.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:11 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

it was probably all purchased at the salvation army thrift shop , wouldn't you think ?
hbg

I need to shop at that thrift shop for an engagement ring... do you have the address?
hamburger

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:49 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
I need to shop at that thrift shop for an engagement ring... do you have the address?

i'm not sure that the thrift shop sells engagement rings but pawn shops certainly offer great bargains on the finest jewellery . the savings are usually about 50% off retailer "discount" (?) prices .
another excellent source for high-quality jewellery are "estate" sales - particularly if bought from a reputable jeweller (i understand that florida is one of the best places for such estate sales . a friend of ours bought a real "rock" for his wife there - and his sure wife didn't mind) .
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:16 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I loaned her the earrings. I bought them for my wife a couple years ago.

You can get these great knockoffs the Shelby Gem Factory. You can't even tell them from the real thing unless you're a professional jeweler. Imagine that!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:13 am
Now, I believe in looking flawless for important events and yes, sometimes flawless can be a bit pricey but even I was stunned to hear the estimated price of Cindy McCain's jewels. And they didn't include the sparkling pin she was wearing. I saw her glistening in diamonds last night and it hit me. I mean damn! Real or fake, does she not have a conscience? Is she just oblivious to the image she projects? Or is she such a bubblehead that she thinks it wouldn't matter???? How utterly stupid and out-of-touch is that? Common sense should have told her to tone it down just a wee bit. That is, if she's has any.

But what was up with her hair?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:33 am
This is funny. I watched the convention and it never even occured to me to wonder how much her jewelry and clothes may have cost. But I guess that type of stuff is important to y'all for some reason.

But, just for the record. We get it. Cindy McCain has a bunch of money. And she spends it on expensive clothes and jewelry. Now maybe we should check out and price what John Kerry's wife wore to the convention 4 years ago or to other fancy functions. I wonder if we would find much difference. (I truly have no idea cause again, I didn't pay attention what she wore 4 years ago and quite frankly, she could have been decked out in a diamond studded dress and I wouldn't have cared.)

So y'all have fun with this one.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:35 am
@CoastalRat,
Okay, it's not that it's bad that she's rich, it's that she most obviously is, and doesn't mind showing it off. It means that she doesn't understand the lives of the non-rich, because she's never had to worry about paying bills in her life, ever. Can you imagine that? Never having to worry about money, ever? That's not something that screams 'someone like me!'

It isn't good politics to point out that you are super-rich, even if you are.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:41 am
@CoastalRat,
Oh. I'm sorry. The pricelist came from her outfit from Tuesday night. Not last night. Let me find a shot from Tuesday. Wasn't she wearing pink?

The point is, with times being as they are, it's just a little crass and unconscionable for a woman in her political position to be so ostentatious. It may not matter to some but it does matter to others.

And they call Michelle Obama an elitist? Outrageous.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:08 am
I understand what you're saying, I just don't understand why you feel the need to make a big deal of it. I couldn't care less how much money someone else has or makes. And if I was that blasted rich I probably wouldn't buy my clothes or jewelry from the local discount stores either. I'd probably buy the best. And, truth be told, y'all probably would too.

What she spends on clothing has no bearing on this campaign. Now if I could only find out what Ms. Kerry wore 4 years ago (and I don't believe for a minute that hers were off the rack, regardless of what she wore), I'd be curious to know why you made no comments back then about her choice of designer clothing and jewels. (Again, she may well have worn inexpensive designer clothing which would explain why y'all didn't complain about her back then. If that were the case, then I can't claim inconsistency on your part.)

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:26 am
Shocked A rich woman wore diamonds and pearls in front of the biggest audience she'll likely ever speak in front of (made up of mostly wealthy people like herself)? How dare she? Rolling Eyes And what's up with her hair? Rolling Eyes And what's up with Palin's hair? Rolling Eyes I like Sarah's hair, in pretty much every shot I've seen. She looks very pretty. I thought Cindy's makeup/style people did a fantastic job, as she looked much prettier last night than she did at lunch. I don't believe Barack Obama would ever stoop to taking pot shots at either lady's appearance. I believe this demonstrates his maturity... and think maybe some more of his fans should consider comparing his behavior to their own.

The National Enquirer type BS about Palin and her family is even more disgusting. The GOP must be thrilled with the idiotic reaction of the Left, as the backlash from this type of childish sniping should prove more compelling than the sniping itself. Palin had every right to lash out at the press for their obscene behavior, and I admire her poise in the face of such asinine attacks.

Pity she chose to lie about other things in the process; but overall I think she has proven herself a compelling force to be reckoned with. I find her FAR more impressive than her resume would suggest.

Obama was the surprising star in the conventions last year. There can be little doubt that title goes to Palin this year. I've heard a few Republicans suggest they'd like to see the ticket inverted. Lefties may find that funny this year; but don't anyone be too shocked if this woman makes a serious run in the not so distant future. Alaska LOVES her. Polls showed AK was firmly in the undecided camp before she was introduced. Look now and you'll see she owns those 3 electoral votes.

I will stop short of giving her credit for "Uniting the Republican Party." There was never any doubt in my mind that Democrats would have no trouble accomplishing that... any more than I thought Democrats would have any trouble uniting behind Obama (save a small handful of idiotic Hill-people... who mostly are acting off some other agenda anyway.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:28 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Palin had every right to lash out at the press for their obscene behavior, and I admire her poise in the face of such asinine attacks.

Yeah, but she's not lashing out at the press - she's lashing out at the Obama. A fund-raising email went out in her name yesters, which blamed the 'Obama-Biden Democrats' for all the negative insinuations about her.

Not cool.

Cycloptichorn
eoe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And how many less than flattering Obama stories have we been bombarded with in the last eighteen months? From terrorist jabs to questioning his patriotism to scathing editorials about his wife? The press hasn't been any more obscene with Sarah Palin than they are with anyone else. That's the arena she stepped into, and dragging a whole lot of baggage in with her. Why enter the lions' den and then get pissed when they bite you?
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Why enter the lions' den and then get pissed when they bite you?

That question is directed at the Obama's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:44 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Prominent women wearing designer suits or dresses don't bother me at all, and if one has the money, serious jewels are a spending option. This is petty stuff in my opinion.

An aside, I have a St. Laurent coat and an Armani jacket from the Salvation Army
(call me eagle eye..); they have a certain timeless quality, and conceivable could have been smart buys by the original purchasers.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Cindy McCain

Shoes, designer unknown: $600

Since they didn't exclude Cindy's shoes I guess we are supposed to believe that their $600 number on the mystery shoes that they can't identify is 100% correct! lol I'll guess they are from Payless Shoes and at a cost of $12. Very Happy
cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:00 pm
@fishin,
Yes but does she have a lifetime frequent buyer card like Bill Gates?
0 Replies