Another reason for rational people not to vote for McCain

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
He's picked the darling of the religious right as his running mate! Every evangelical in the country probably involuntarily ejaculated when they heard that news. They love her! Don't let them keep insinuating themselves into our government. Fundamentalism is the mechanism that allows fanatics and terrorists to rationalize their actions. It has NO PLACE IN GOVERNMENT.

This faith-based government experiment has been tried for the past eight years. It failed. Miserably. Let's try something new.

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:15 pm
@kickycan,
Funny thing is, Kicky, the "maverick" didn't really pick her. He caved.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:23 pm
Her pick is an insult to the intelligence of the American People, but the American People don't know that! That's the reason the religious right loves her as one of their own.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:28 pm
There's no need to work on rational people.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:58 am

McCain said at a fundraiser ten years ago (this was mentioned here yesterday)

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
-Because Janet Reno is her father"

So there you are- insulting women, gays, and showing lack of class, all in two short sentences of one tasteless, offensive joke.

Presidential material?
Debra Law

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:19 am
Bob Herbert: Head for the high road

Quote:
The Democrats need to be careful about the intensity of their criticism of Sarah Palin.

She may look like an easy target, an appalling lightweight who will send serious voters scurrying to the more substantive Obama-Biden ticket. And the temptation to get on her case probably became greater with Palin's disclosure Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant.

But the Democrats should not push this stuff too far. Palin is a lot more appealing personally than the often testy guy at the top of her ticket. And the inescapable reality is that there are millions of voters who identify with her, and may be quick to resent attacks that they perceive as bullying or overkill.

Here's the deal: Palin is the latest Republican distraction. She's meant to shift attention away from the real issue of this campaign - the awful state of the nation after eight years of Republican rule. The Republicans are brilliant at distractions. Willie Horton was a distraction. The chatter about gays, guns and God has been a long-running distraction. And we all remember the Swift-boat campaign.

If you want a real issue, forget all of the above and revisit Monday's front page of The New York Times. Hundreds of families are being forced out of their homes each month in Louisville, Kentucky, because of mortgage foreclosures. With record numbers of poor and homeless students, the public schools are struggling.The crisis has only been made worse by fiscal difficulties facing the schools. Higher energy and other costs, combined with a $43 million cut in state aid, have left the school system in a sorry state.

The reason this should be high on the presidential campaign agendas is that the problems in Louisville are widespread. As Sam Dillon of The Times reported: "As 50 million children return to classes across the nation, crippling increases in the price of fuel and food, coupled with the economic downturn, have left schools from California to Florida to Maine cutting costs."

Even as these districts are cutting back, wrote Dillon, "the number of poor and homeless children is rising."

That is the kind of substantive issue the Democrats should be focused on: how to educate America's children and improve the quality of their lives; how to bring health care to those going without; how to put America back to work.

To their credit, Senators Obama and Biden seem unwilling to jump aboard the bash-Palin bandwagon. Both have been exceedingly mild in their comments about the Alaska governor.

The Democratic convention dramatically illustrated the most effective approach available to the party. The convention built in intensity night by night with featured speakers who focused powerfully on substantive matters.

Bill Clinton may be wildly unpredictable, but last Wednesday he was magnificent, laying out the challenges that will face the next administration.

Listen:

"Our nation is in trouble on two fronts. The American dream is under siege at home, and America's leadership in the world has been weakened. Middle-class and low-income Americans are hurting - with incomes declining; job losses, poverty and inequality rising; mortgage foreclosures and credit card debt increasing; health care coverage disappearing; and a very big spike in the cost of food, utilities and gasoline.

"And our position in the world has been weakened by too much unilateralism and too little cooperation, by a perilous dependence on imported oil, by a refusal to lead on global warming, by a growing indebtedness and a dependence on foreign lenders, by a severely burdened military, by a backsliding on global nonproliferation and arms control agreements, and by a failure to consistently use the power of diplomacy, from the Middle East to Africa to Latin America to Central and Eastern Europe."

Respectful criticism of Sarah Palin is fine. But the great issues of this campaign loom like giant redwoods over the pathetic weeds of politics as usual and the myriad distractions that have turned one presidential election after another into a national embarrassment.

Seventy-two years ago, in his renomination acceptance speech at the Democratic convention in Philadelphia (before more than 100,000 people gathered in Franklin Field), Franklin D. Roosevelt rose above the boiler-plate rhetoric of political speeches and spoke of his generation's "rendezvous with destiny."

He warned of the perils to the nation of economic inequality.

"Liberty," he said, "requires opportunity to make a living, a living decent according to the standard of the time, a living which gives man not only enough to live by, but something to live for."

Roosevelt's words echo across the decades because they resonate with the very meaning of America, a meaning that is so much deeper than what our politics have become. "We are fighting," he told his audience, "to save a great and precious form of government, for ourselves and for the world."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/02/opinion/edherbert.php

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:00 am
The hysterics coming from the left and the media only shows how scared you all are of this pick.

You hypocracy is showing when you will attempt to destroy a woman who holds conservative values, actually GOVERNED something, beat back the establishment government to win the election for governor.

You all are AFRAID that she actually has more experience than the person you selected to head the Democratic ticket.

Look at how you describe the US. Have we gone so far back in your view that we have to look up to Syria as an economic power?

The transprancy of the left is quite apparent to all objective observers!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:07 am
@kickycan,
I'll say it again. What you're talking about with Barrack Obama is putting that Chicago machine, which is the closest thing in our modern world to Tammany Hall, in charge of the country. Jeremiah Wright would be Minister of Religion, Bill Ayres would be AG, Bernadette Dorn Secretary of State, and the whole country would look like what you see in "Gangs of New york", which you can check out at Erols or Blockbusters and view at your leisure.

What I don't really grasp is the question of what John McCain or Sarah Palin is supposed to be capable of which would be worse than all of that.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:04 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

I'll say it again. What you're talking about with Barrack Obama is putting that Chicago machine, which is the closest thing in our modern world to Tammany Hall, in charge of the country. Jeremiah Wright would be Minister of Religion, Bill Ayres would be AG, Bernadette Dorn Secretary of State, and the whole country would look like what you see in "Gangs of New york", which you can check out at Erols or Blockbusters and view at your leisure.

What I don't really grasp is the question of what John McCain or Sarah Palin is supposed to be capable of which would be worse than all of that.

Sir, the abuse of crank affects not only your own health, but the health of others around you: our nation's burn units are crowded with meth-cookers, forcing more innocent burn victims to wait longer for treatment.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:00 am
@kickycan,
Quote:
Fundamentalism is the mechanism that allows fanatics and terrorists to rationalize their actions.

And what would you call the reverend Wright, mainstream America?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:23 am
@RexRed,
FYI, rev Wright is not running for any national or local office.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:40 am
How did these numbnuts fundamentalists get so much power anyway? I mean, I actually had to listen to a "Christian Singer" last night at the GOP convention. Where were the Jehovah's Witness Singers, and the Muslim singers?

Make no mistake, the conservative Christian right will be in power if you choose McCain. He's sold out. He's no longer a maverick. He's a shill for the same assholes that have been screwing us for the past several years. Don't let them win!
cyphercat

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:55 am
@McTag,
Boy, that really did show a lack of class, didn't it? I'd never heard about him saying that--what a jerk. Neutral Chelsea would have only been 18 at the time too--really nice to pick on a teenage girl about her looks...Of course it's not news that McCain is really big on judging women on looks, every woman close to him has to be a former beauty queen...
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:38 pm
@kickycan,
I'd hoped the Christian singer would be be if interest, but no, she was shrill.

The tribute to the soldier who died in in Iraq was good, and I thought Norman Coleman's speech had some depth-- otherwise, the event left me cold.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:39 pm
@kickycan,
Sarah Palin is a great choice and she's got the leftwing numbnuts panties in a HUGE WAD.
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:04 pm
As a left winger, I am very happy that Sen John picked her. He , with each day, shows us how he relies upon handlers and doesnt make his own choices in these bigger issues.
Last month he announced that he didnt "Know much about economics", and now he shows us that he doesnt know squatall about the vetting process.

"She was for the bridge to nowhere, before she was against it"- Terry Gross
Rockhead

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:10 pm
@cjhsa,
Shooter, I am not left, but let me clarify...

We are Flipping LAUGHING at ya.

She is "perfect"
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:24 pm
and here are eight good reasons not to be irrational

UNFIT McCain
http://www.unfitmccain.com/
kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
@Endymion,
Ha, I love that picture they have on that site.

I wuv you so much, Mr. President...

http://www.unfitmccain.com/images/bush_mccain_hugging.jpg
Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:22 am
@farmerman,
I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the Republicans might win the election again.

Despite what you've said, the average voter now has a war hero who's picked a running mate with star qualities. He's chosen a "it's God's will" candidate. Frightening.