Arctic becomes an island as ice melts

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:46 am
The North Pole has become an island for the first time in human history as climate change has made it possible to circumnavigate the Arctic ice cap.

Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/graphics/2008/08/31/618-arctic.jpg

Global warming has caused the Arctic icecap to retreat from neigbouring continents creating opening a gap

The historic development was revealed by satellite images taken last week showing that both the north-west and north-east passages have been opened by melting ice.

Shipping companies are already planning to exploit the first simultaneous opening of the routes since the beginning of the last Ice Age 125,000 years ago. The Beluga Group in Germany says it will send the first ship through the north-east passage, around Russia, next year, cutting 4,000 miles off the voyage from Germany to Japan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 8,675 • Replies: 61

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
You can see daily updated sea-ice maps here:
http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de:8084/amsr/amsre.html

http://i37.tinypic.com/vy84ex.jpg
littlek

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The Northwest passage is opened up - not that this is a good thing.

I dread what this means for us here on earth, but I am excited to see what has lain beneath the ice for all this time.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:10 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I am excited to see what has lain beneath the ice for all this time.

Water.
littlek

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Doh! I was thinking of the wrong pole!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:12 pm
@littlek,
It's going to absolutely destroy Santa's shops and home.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@JTT,
Especially with how our economy is running just before the holiday season. boo hoo.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
the port of churchill , manitoba-canada , is hoping for an extended shipping season . while the port is way up north , it has the shortest route from the mid-west and canadian prairie provinces to russia , china , japan ... (read : grain exports !) .
hbg^

see also the extensive thread started by wandel :

http://able2know.org/topic/101576-1

hamburger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:03 pm
@hamburger,
further to my previous entry (seems that news travel fast) even the NYT picked up on it :

Quote:
Canada Port Gains as Ice Diminishes

By JAMES BROOKE
Published: November 3, 2000 (and apparently republished in today's online business section)
Here on the edge of Canada's tree line, where polar bears prowl the tundra under the dancing lights of the northern sky, a Barbadian flag vessel was at port one recent evening, its crew sweeping aside snow to fill its holds with grain for shipment direct to Europe.

While politicians debate the validity of global warming, some shippers are voting with their boats, quietly shifting marine routes to Churchill, Canada's northernmost industrial harbor. After decades of ignoring the only major port on the Hudson Bay because of ice hazards, shippers are finding that the retreating ice cover is putting Churchill on the map. By docking at this sub-Arctic outpost of 1,100 residents, oceangoing ships benefit from rail links to the prairie heartlands of Canada and the United States, the world's largest wheat exporting nations. And their business is much to the benefit of Omnitrax Inc., the Denver-based company that bought the port and access railroad in 1997.

''Omnitrax are aggressive, and they are enticing cargo through the Port of Churchill, and if it's going through the Port of Churchill, we want to ship it,'' said Thomas Paterson, a vice president of Fednav Ltd., an international shipping company based in Montreal.

read full story : http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9800E2DE1F30F930A35752C1A9669C8B63
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
how large is the Artic Island? Does it have another name?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:29 pm
@Sglass,
You mean the Arctic Ice Cap (also called Arctic Ice Pack)? The size varies and I don't know what the exact answer to your question would be officially, the only figure I remember on it is that it is about 15 million square kilometers in winter.
roger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:30 pm
@Sglass,
I really had the idea there was nothing under that ice but melted ice.
Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:40 pm
@roger,
But Roger I want there to be land under all that ice and ancient cities. I am a romantic.
roger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@Sglass,
Me too. And most of all, I want there to be an interesting civilization living inside a hollow earth. Please don't dash my hopes.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:47 pm
@Sglass,
Ah, if you meant a real island of land you should note that I'm talking about the same sea ice as roger.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
15 million kilometers in winter is how many miles.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:07 pm
@Sglass,
Something like 5.8 million. If I have to actually do the calculation I'd probably end up ranting about the Imperial system again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:11 pm
Maybe another species of homo sapiens - or the intermediary that we've always been looked for.
Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well that is one hell of a big snow cone.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well that is an intriguing theory CI. There would be the first thing, the interdiary would be a thing of a thing and we are the real thing????
0 Replies