IS THERE ANYTHING LEFT THAT MATTERS?

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:28 pm
by Sister Joan Chittister, OSB
A Benedictine Sister of Erie

This is what I don't understand: All of a sudden nothing seems to matter. First, they said they wanted Bin Laden "dead or alive." But they didn't get him. So now they tell us that it doesn't matter. Our mission is greater than one man.

Then they said they wanted Saddam Hussein, "dead or alive." He's apparently alive but we haven't got him yet, either. However, President Bush told reporters recently, "It doesn't matter. Our mission is greater than one man."

Finally, they told us that we were invading Iraq to destroy their weapons of mass destruction. Now they say those weapons probably don't exist. Maybe never existed. Apparently that doesn't matter either.

Except that it does matter.

I know we're not supposed to say that. I know it's called "unpatriotic."

But it's also called honesty. And dishonesty matters. It matters that the infrastructure of a foreign nation that couldn't defend itself against us has been destroyed on the grounds that it was a military threat to the world.

It matters that it was destroyed by us under a new doctrine of "pre-emptive war" when there was apparently nothing worth pre-empting. It surely matters to the families here whose sons & daughters went to war to make the world safe from weapons of mass destruction and will never come home.

It matters to families in the United States whose life support programs were ended, whose medical insurance ran out, whose food stamps were cut off, whose day care programs were eliminated so we could spend the money on sending an army to do what did not need to be done.

It matters to the Iraqi girl whose face was burned by a lamp that toppled over as a result of a U.S. bombing run.

It matters to Ali, the Iraqi boy who lost his family - and both his arms in a U.S. air attack.

It matters to the people in Baghdad whose water supply is now fetid, whose electricity is gone, whose streets are unsafe, whose 158 government ministries' buildings and all their records have been destroyed, whose cultural heritage and social system has been looted and whose cities teem with anti-American protests.

It matters that the people we say we "liberated" do not feel liberated in the midst of the lawlessness, destruction and wholesale social suffering that so-called liberation created.

It matters to the United Nations whose integrity was impugned, whose authority was denied, whose inspection teams are even now still being overlooked in the process of technical evaluation and disarmament.

It matters to the reputation of the United States in the eyes of the world, both now and for decades to come, perhaps.

And surely it matters to the integrity of this nation whether or not its intelligence gathering agencies have any real intelligence or not before we launch a military armada on its say-so.

And it should matter whether or not our government is either incompetent and didn't know what they were doing or were dishonest and refused to say. The unspoken truth is that either as a people we were misled, or we were lied to, about the real reason for this war.

Either we made a huge - and unforgivable - mistake, an arrogant or ignorant mistake, or we are swaggering around the world like a blind giant, flailing in all directions while the rest of the world watches in horror or in ridicule.

If Bill Clinton's definition of "is" matters, surely this matters. If a president's sex life matters, surely a president's use of global force against some of the weakest people in the world matters. If a president's word in a court of law about a private indiscretion matters, surely a president's word to the community of nations and the security of millions of people matters.

And if not, why not? If not, surely there is something as wrong with us as citizens, as thinkers, as Christians as there must be with some facet of the government. If wars that the public says are wrong yesterday - as over 70% of U.S. citizens did before the attack on Iraq - suddenly become "right" the minute the first bombs drop, what kind of national morality is that?

Of what are we really capable as a nation if the considered judgment of politicians and people around the world means nothing to us as a people?

What is the depth of the American soul if we can allow destruction to be one in our name and the name of "liberation" and never even demand an accounting of its costs, both personal and public, when it is over?

We like to take comfort in the notion that people make a distinction between our government and ourselves. We like to say that the people of the world love Americans, they simply mistrust our government. But excoriating a distant and anonymous "government" for wreaking rubble on a nation in pretense of good requires very little of either character or intelligence.

What may count most, however, is that we may well be the ones Proverbs warns when it reminds us: "Kings take pleasure in honest lips; they value the one who speaks the truth." The point is clear: If the people speak and the king doesn't listen, there is something wrong with the king. If the king acts precipitously and the people say nothing, something is wrong with the people.

It may be time for us to realize that in a country that prides itself on being democratic, we are our government. And the rest of the world is figuring that out very quickly.

From where I stand, that matters.

Sister Joan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,471 • Replies: 54
No top replies

John Webb

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:57 pm
Sister Joan said "From where I stand, that matters"

"No it doesn't", say Bush, Rumsfeld, Chaney, Powell and their poodles Blair, Straw and Hoon.

Wonderful writing. A pity that many overseas will not see this and realise that there are still millions of decent Americans - in spite of all the Administration's efforts to prove otherwise.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:20 pm
Wonderful fiction. Really tugs at the ol' heart strings. There is even a small enough hint of truth to make it almost seem believable. Almost.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Wonderful fiction. Really tugs at the ol' heart strings. There is even a small enough hint of truth to make it almost seem believable. Almost.

Why don't you point out all the dishonesty, McG.

We can discuss it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:27 pm
Ooops!

Unless you are just one of those kneejerk conservatives that simply cannot see anything wrong with what Dubya and his handlers do.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:59 pm
Re: IS THERE ANYTHING LEFT THAT MATTERS?
At Franks behest...

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
by Sister Joan Chittister, OSB
A Benedictine Sister of Erie

This is what I don't understand: All of a sudden nothing seems to matter. First, they said they wanted Bin Laden "dead or alive." But they didn't get him. So now they tell us that it doesn't matter. Our mission is greater than one man. This doesn't mean we have STOPPED looking for him. We have 100's of troops combing the hills and keeping tabs on possible locations. We haven't forgotten about him.

Then they said they wanted Saddam Hussein, "dead or alive." He's apparently alive but we haven't got him yet, either. However, President Bush told reporters recently, "It doesn't matter. Our mission is greater than one man." Again, doesn't mean we've stopped looking for him. And, if you think about it, the mission IS bigger than one man.
Finally, they told us that we were invading Iraq to destroy their weapons of mass destruction. Now they say those weapons probably don't exist. Maybe never existed. Apparently that doesn't matter either.Aaaahhh...the luxury of hindsight. Sure, we know that the threat of WMD is as serious as we were led to believe. They DID exist, thet STILL exist, we just haven't found 'em yet. We will.

I know we're not supposed to say that. I know it's called "unpatriotic."Pfft. That comment is only present to raise peoples ire. Has no basis in fact.

But it's also called honesty. And dishonesty matters. It matters that the infrastructure of a foreign nation that couldn't defend itself against us has been destroyed on the grounds that it was a military threat to the world.

It matters that it was destroyed by us under a new doctrine of "pre-emptive war" when there was apparently nothing worth pre-empting. It surely matters to the families here whose sons & daughters went to war to make the world safe from weapons of mass destruction and will never come home. That's what soldiers do. Better to have Iraqi death and destruction than US death and destruction. My opinion only, the author appears ok with that.

It matters to families in the United States whose life support programs were ended, whose medical insurance ran out, whose food stamps were cut off, whose day care programs were eliminated so we could spend the money on sending an army to do what did not need to be done. Oh, please. food stamps were eliminated because of the war? Insurance policies lapsed because of the war? Uh, huh.

It matters to the Iraqi girl whose face was burned by a lamp that toppled over as a result of a U.S. bombing run.

It matters to Ali, the Iraqi boy who lost his family - and both his arms in a U.S. air attack. I am saddened by the loss of innocent lives. But, notice how the author avoids talking about the poor iraqi girl who saw her sister raped, tortured and executed before her eyes and then had the same done to her by the Husseins.

It matters to the people in Baghdad whose water supply is now fetid, whose electricity is gone, whose streets are unsafe, whose 158 government ministries' buildings and all their records have been destroyed, whose cultural heritage and social system has been looted and whose cities teem with anti-American protests. Power levels are generally at the pre-war conditions, the looting was done BY the Iraqi's, not by the US as the author would imply.

It matters that the people we say we "liberated" do not feel liberated in the midst of the lawlessness, destruction and wholesale social suffering that so-called liberation created. Which people? A majority of people DO feel liberated in Iraq. See other thread. Some people in Iraq will never be happy with any form of governmet. Hell, people in the US will never by happy with the government!

It matters to the United Nations whose integrity was impugned, whose authority was denied, whose inspection teams are even now still being overlooked in the process of technical evaluation and disarmament. You mean the same UN that was completely ignored and rendered impotent for 12 years by saddam? The UN that failed to follow through on it's own threats? The same UN that always cries for US aid and assisstance in world events?

It matters to the reputation of the United States in the eyes of the world, both now and for decades to come, perhaps.

And surely it matters to the integrity of this nation whether or not its intelligence gathering agencies have any real intelligence or not before we launch a military armada on its say-so. I am sure the author is privvy to all the intelligence that our many Intelligence organizations have gathered... Rolling Eyes

And it should matter whether or not our government is either incompetent and didn't know what they were doing or were dishonest and refused to say. The unspoken truth is that either as a people we were misled, or we were lied to, about the real reason for this war. True.

Either we made a huge - and unforgivable - mistake, an arrogant or ignorant mistake, or we are swaggering around the world like a blind giant, flailing in all directions while the rest of the world watches in horror or in ridicule. That's it? Those are the only choices we have made? What about that we brought down an evil regime and have created a better life for millions of people? There are many other things we have done as well.

If Bill Clinton's definition of "is" matters, surely this matters. If a president's sex life matters, surely a president's use of global force against some of the weakest people in the world matters. If a president's word in a court of law about a private indiscretion matters, surely a president's word to the community of nations and the security of millions of people matters. Completely different. Clinton was proven to be a liar. Bush is merely suspected.

And if not, why not? If not, surely there is something as wrong with us as citizens, as thinkers, as Christians as there must be with some facet of the government. If wars that the public says are wrong yesterday - as over 70% of U.S. citizens did before the attack on Iraq - suddenly become "right" the minute the first bombs drop, what kind of national morality is that? I don't have time to look up the stats, but these do not sound right. 70% against it? I don't think so.

Of what are we really capable as a nation if the considered judgment of politicians and people around the world means nothing to us as a people? We are our own country. the rest of the worlds opinion should matter exactly zero to us.

What is the depth of the American soul if we can allow destruction to be one in our name and the name of "liberation" and never even demand an accounting of its costs, both personal and public, when it is over?

We like to take comfort in the notion that people make a distinction between our government and ourselves. We like to say that the people of the world love Americans, they simply mistrust our government. But excoriating a distant and anonymous "government" for wreaking rubble on a nation in pretense of good requires very little of either character or intelligence.

What may count most, however, is that we may well be the ones Proverbs warns when it reminds us: "Kings take pleasure in honest lips; they value the one who speaks the truth." The point is clear: If the people speak and the king doesn't listen, there is something wrong with the king. If the king acts precipitously and the people say nothing, something is wrong with the people.

It may be time for us to realize that in a country that prides itself on being democratic, we are our government. And the rest of the world is figuring that out very quickly.

From where I stand, that matters.

Sister Joan

Once again, this article is full of lies and half-truths. It is fiction.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:52 pm
McG

Thanks for responding.

I'm assuming the stuff in red is supposed to indicate fiction. I say "I am assuming" because most of the red stuff does not really indicate any fiction in the piece.

Some examples:

McGentrix wrote:
This is what I don't understand: All of a sudden nothing seems to matter. First, they said they wanted Bin Laden "dead or alive." But they didn't get him. So now they tell us that it doesn't matter. Our mission is greater than one man. This doesn't mean we have STOPPED looking for him. We have 100's of troops combing the hills and keeping tabs on possible locations. We haven't forgotten about him.

Jeez, I must have missed the part where Sister Joan said "...we've STOPPED looking for him" or that "...we have forgotten about him."

What she actually said was that they are now telling us that it doesn't really matter, our mission is greater than one man.

So the supposed fiction you pointed out was some fiction you included -- not Sister Joan.

Quote:
Then they said they wanted Saddam Hussein, "dead or alive." He's apparently alive but we haven't got him yet, either. However, President Bush told reporters recently, "It doesn't matter. Our mission is greater than one man." Again, doesn't mean we've stopped looking for him. And, if you think about it, the mission IS bigger than one man.

Once again, McG, Sister Joan did not say that we've stopped looking for him. She said we've been told that it doesn't matter and that our mission is greater than one man.

Even you pointed out that the mission IS bigger than one man.

So you are agreeing with Sister Joan and then posting your agreement in red to make it look as though she included fiction. Actually, you included a bit of fiction in suggesting that she said "...we've stopped looking for him."

Quote:
Finally, they told us that we were invading Iraq to destroy their weapons of mass destruction. Now they say those weapons probably don't exist. Maybe never existed. Apparently that doesn't matter either.Aaaahhh...the luxury of hindsight. Sure, we know that the threat of WMD is as serious as we were led to believe. They DID exist, thet STILL exist, we just haven't found 'em yet. We will.

McG, do you have your head on straight today? Every word Sister Joan said here is right on the mark. It is not fiction at all.

Now you are offering your guesses about whether the WMDs actually did exist -- and whether or not they will be found.

But that is not fiction on the part of Sister Joan -- that is hubris on the part of McG.

Quote:

I know we're not supposed to say that. I know it's called "unpatriotic."Pfft. That comment is only present to raise peoples ire. Has no basis in fact.

No it is not. And it has a hell of a lot more basis in fact than your assertions that there definitely are WMD's and that they will be found.

Quote:

It matters that it was destroyed by us under a new doctrine of "pre-emptive war" when there was apparently nothing worth pre-empting. It surely matters to the families here whose sons & daughters went to war to make the world safe from weapons of mass destruction and will never come home. That's what soldiers do. Better to have Iraqi death and destruction than US death and destruction. My opinion only, the author appears ok with that.

There is no fiction in what Sister Joan said in those couple of paragraphs. You simply disagree with how she feels.

You really do seem out of sorts, McG. You usually think things through much better than this.

Quote:
It matters to families in the United States whose life support programs were ended, whose medical insurance ran out, whose food stamps were cut off, whose day care programs were eliminated so we could spend the money on sending an army to do what did not need to be done. Oh, please. food stamps were eliminated because of the war? Insurance policies lapsed because of the war? Uh, huh.

Sister Joan may have stretched this a bit -- but to me, it sounds as though she just didn't want to go through the problem in detail.

She certainly is right that huge amounts of money is being spent in this endeavor that could easily have been spent more productively elsewhere. (Perhaps even in a true fight against terrorism, rather than in vendetta against a guy who made his father look like a dickhead!)

Quote:

It matters to Ali, the Iraqi boy who lost his family - and both his arms in a U.S. air attack. I am saddened by the loss of innocent lives. But, notice how the author avoids talking about the poor iraqi girl who saw her sister raped, tortured and executed before her eyes and then had the same done to her by the Husseins.

Oh, give me a break, willya. Yeah, Saddam was a sadistic son-of-a-bitch, but everything Sister Joan said in her comment is correct. No fiction here.

And I might point out to you that one of the big complaints over in Iraq right now has to do with women feeling much more unsafe than they did under Saddam. From what I have read, there is more rape going on now than under Saddam -- and more violence towards women.

Quote:
It matters to the people in Baghdad whose water supply is now fetid, whose electricity is gone, whose streets are unsafe, whose 158 government ministries' buildings and all their records have been destroyed, whose cultural heritage and social system has been looted and whose cities teem with anti-American protests. Power levels are generally at the pre-war conditions, the looting was done BY the Iraqi's, not by the US as the author would imply.

One: I would love to see you substantiate that power levels are generaly at pre-war conditions.

Two: You did not refer to the water supply.

Three: At no point do I see Sister Joan implying that the looting was done by the US rather than by Iraqi's who are not being controlled as they should be.

The fiction is yours, McG, not Sister Joans.

Quote:
It matters that the people we say we "liberated" do not feel liberated in the midst of the lawlessness, destruction and wholesale social suffering that so-called liberation created. Which people? A majority of people DO feel liberated in Iraq. See other thread. Some people in Iraq will never be happy with any form of governmet. Hell, people in the US will never by happy with the government!

Neither of you has a leg to stand on regarding this issue. We honestly do not know how the people feel -- but I know if there were an occupying army here watching over me, I certainly would not feel liberated.

Quote:
Once again, this article is full of lies and half-truths. It is fiction.

Well if that is true, McG -- as I suggested before...

...why not point them out and we can discuss them?

But actually point out a few lies and half-truths rather than making stuff up.

I do agree with the part where you said: "It is fiction." But I think it applies to your response -- not to Sister Joan's article.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
Incredibly well said, Frank.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 03:14 pm
McGentrix has given us more of his seance fiction.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:35 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
seance fiction.
Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:54 pm
Frank
Frank, why waste your time with McG? Why not devote your energy to someone whose mind is not closed to new information or verifiable facts? Debating people like McG just gives them a forum to mislead the naive and uninformed.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:28 pm
You got it right on the head, BBB.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:34 pm
Re: Frank
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Frank, why waste your time with McG? Why not devote your energy to someone whose mind is not closed to new information or verifiable facts? Debating people like McG just gives them a forum to mislead the naive and uninformed.

---BumbleBeeBoogie

BBB is right Frank. You should ONLY listen to those that vigorously agree with your point of view. Lord knows that I am full of misleading information and I may lead you astray. Next thing you know, you will be hitting the links with a rowdy crowd of conservatives spouting quotes from the bible!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:08 pm
Re: Frank
McGentrix wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

---BumbleBeeBoogie

BBB is right Frank. You should ONLY listen to those that vigorously agree with your point of view. Lord knows that I am full of misleading information and I may lead you astray. Next thing you know, you will be hitting the links with a rowdy crowd of conservatives spouting quotes from the bible!

I appreciate BBB's advice on this -- but I am filled with optimism about being able to "save" conservatives from themselves. So I'll keep efforting in that direction. And I have absolutely no fear of being lead astray -- at least not where conservatism is concerned.

As for "hitting the links with a rowdy crowd of conservatives spouting quotes from the bible" -- well, many (most, actually) of my regular golfing partners are conservatives. Face it, I hang out with lots of white males -- and conservatism is goddam near epidemic with that crowd.

And as for Bible thumpers -- well...I can tell you that the good Lord's name comes up quite often on the golf course -- although actual quotations from the Bible are fairly rare.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:52 pm
To address the question of this thread:

Is there anything left that matters?

Was there ever anything "Left" that really matters? Laughing
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:37 pm
Mc Gentrix- Sister Joan and Frank APisa are obviously afflicted with the terminal Liberal disease- Unsupported Generalizationitis.

You have made cogent comments only to be "corrected" by Frank APisa.

Frank APisa and Sister Joan are incorrect more often than they are right.

Let us examine her position and Frank APisa's comments carefully.

First, they said that they wanted Bin Laden dead or alive. Then they said that it doesn't matter, Our mission is greater than one man.

Sister Joan and Frank APisa cannot find, in any transcript, the statement that the Administration does not want to find Bin Laden dead or alive. The retort, "It doesn't matter was not made to indicate that it does not matter whether we find Bin Laden, The statement was made in response to a question which implied that the administration's efforts in the war against terror was a failure since Bin Laden was not yet found.

This was of course rebutted with "It doesn't matter(no one ever said that the search for Bin Laden was ended) Our mission is greater than one man( Indeed it is and was as has been indicated thousands of times in thousands of statements with regard to objectives in Iraq.)
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:42 pm
Then sister Joan says: They say that those weapons probably don't exist. Maybe never existed.

Sweeping wild exaggeration and generalization.

I am unaware of any statement made by anb administration spokesman which said that the weapons never existed.

May I be so bold as to ask for a link to a quote?

I must really conclude that no link means it is a fiction>

I await the link.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:45 pm
Sister Joan says:

Except that it does matter, I know we are not supposed to say that. I know it is unpatriotic.

I respectfully ask Sister Joan or Frank APisa to provide evidence to show that saying "Maybe it does matter" is viewed as unpatriotic by the official statements of the administration.

Failure to provide evidence is due cause for throwing the statement into the worthless unsourced claim bin.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:57 pm
Then sister Joan sets up what can only be called a "Howler". A sweeping unsupported generalization.

She says that it matters that the infrastructure of a foreign nation that couldn't defend itself aginst us has been destroyed on the grounds that it was a military threat to the world.

I hope that the good sister is aware of the meaning of the word, Infrasrtructure. It means- basic supporting institutions of a country, his includes offices, schools, and the means of maintaining the country, electricity, bridges, waterways, energy sources.

Note sister Joan says: The infrastructure has been destroyed because it(Iraq) was a military threat to the world.

Words have meaning.

The infrastrucure? All of it? None was left?

Destroyed? What does that mean/

By whom?
The USA or the saboteurs?

This paragraph by sister belongs in the Unsupported and unsourced generalizations bin.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:05 am
Then sister proves that she has been listening to the left wing crazies.
She tells us that Life support has been cut off.

Medical Insurance Cancelled

Food Stamps cut off
'
Day Care programs eliminated

WHY?

so that we could, she says, spend the money on sending an army to do what did not need to be done.

I must really be forgiven for saying: What utter tripe!!!

First of all, I would ask the good sister to GIVE EVIDENCE ( fIGURES- Dollars and cents) to show that any of the programs she alludes to were cut.

Now, we must not play the usual Democratic games.

Some of the left wing will ask for a ten percent increase in funding for some idiotic program and when it is reduced to nine percent they cry

cut, cut cut.

I want to see evidence that the programs that sister mentioned were indeed cut

I also want to see EVIDENCE that the money that was allegedly cut from those programs was TRANSFERRED TO THE MILITARY BUDGET.

Such evidence will not be forthcoming since it does not exist.

Another wild generalization based on useless conjecture rather than fact.
0 Replies