Dumb Dem Response to Palin Choice

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 04:31 pm
@High Seas,
Are you by chance one of those cons, HS?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 04:44 pm
@Woiyo9,
Alaska is not even a normal state, very few people and because the feds own most of the land and most of the money in the economy either comes from the feds or oil. Being Gov of Alaska does not translate into any widely useful government experience, and surely none on how Washington works or international affairs. Given Mcains age and cancer history a person who votes this ticket should have their head examined, there is zero reason to think that the GOP VP is up to being a asset as VP much less stepping into the POTUS role if the need were to arise.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:16 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

"She was a good choice."

She may well be. The problem is McCain himself. Not a problem for some conservatives, of course, the kind who have no qualms about voting for liars , thieves, war criminals, idiots, ... .

None of which you can or will ever back up with examples. You'll possibly claim that the documentation is well established in previous posts, etc., etc.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:33 pm
He picked her to shore up his iffy base. McCain isn't considered an authentic Republican by many in the party. She fills gaps for him. In THAT, I can see his reasoning,...even though I don't like it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:16 pm
my favorite part of this is that my friend who does the make-up for Saturday Night Live won't even have to touch up Tena Fey.
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zvpROIJm37jDHM:http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/tina-fey-30-rock.jpghttp://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:_dEwQmCysYodqM:http://gov.state.ak.us/photos/Gov-Palin-2006_web.jpg

Joe(I did doubletakes all day)Nation
ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
I thought they were just going to bring back Dana Carvey.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Churchlady02.jpg

Isn't that special...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:38 pm
Quote:

VP Picks: Karl Rove Swings and Misses Big Time

On August 10, Karl Rove went on “Face The Nation” to argue that Senator Obama would make an “intensely political choice” for Vice President without regard for the “responsibilities of president.” At the time, Rove believed Obama would choose Tim Kaine, and argued against him by saying this:

"With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he’s been a governor for three years, he’s been able but undistinguished. I don’t think people could really name a big, important thing that he’s done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America. And again, with all due respect to Richmond, Virginia, it’s smaller than Chula Vista, California; Aurora, Colorado; Mesa or Gilbert, Arizona; north Las Vegas or Henderson, Nevada. It’s not a big town. So if he were to pick Governor Kaine, it would be an intensely political choice where he said, `You know what? I’m really not, first and foremost, concerned with, is this person capable of being president of the United States?"

As we now know, Barack Obama chose Joe Biden as his VP, probably the least political choice he could have made, and probably the best governing choice he could have made. John McCain, on the other hand, is the one who made the “intensely political choice” by choosing Sara Palin " a political newcomer and self-described “hockey mom” who has less than two years of governing experience and ZERO foreign policy experience " all because the political winds dictated that “change” was going to trump “experience” this election.

Rove argues that Kaine’s mayorship of Richmond (pop. 200,000+) is insignificant and that his 3 years as Governor of Virginia (pop. 7,712,091, GDP $383 million) has been “indistinguisahable.” If Rove was intellectually consistent, wouldn’t that mean Palin’s mayorship of Wasilla (pop. 8,000+) and 20 months as Alaska governor (pop. 683,478, GDP $44.5 million) makes her even less qualified than Kaine?

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/08/29/vp-picks-karl-rove-swings-and-misses-big-time/#more-32317

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:58 pm
Just the person for the job.

Quote:

Sarah Palin, July 2008: I don’t even know what the Vice President does

Republican VP candidate and Alaska Governor Sarah Palin told Larry Kudlow less than two months ago that she can’t answer whether or not she would accept the VP offer because she has no idea what the Vice President does.

“As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does everyday?”

Do we really need someone like this a heartbeat away from the Presidency? Especially given that McCain turned 72 today? Especially someone under investigation for abuse of power less than two years into office? That really is more of the same.

One dKos commenter answers Sarah’s question:

1. Leaves undisclosed location for the White House.

2. Tells the President what to do.

3. Orders Chief of Staff to obstruct a series of investigations.

4. Snarls a few times.

5. Returns to undisclosed location.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:37 pm
McCain, definitely certifiable. What is it about conservatives that makes them so prone to nominating absolute idiots. And then they soldier on, defending the idiots. Amazing, truly amazing.

Quote:
The story behind the Palin surprise

John McCain on Friday announced a running mate whom he met only six months ago and with whom he spoke just once on the phone about the position before offering it in person earlier this week.

McCain’s first encounter with Sarah Palin came at a Washington meeting of the National Governors Association in February, according to a campaign-provided reconstruction of how the little-known Alaska governor was thrust into the national spotlight. The two discussed the position by phone on Sunday before McCain invited Palin and her husband to Arizona to formally make the offer. McCain, joined by his wife, Cindy, did just that Thursday morning at their home near Sedona, Ariz.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12988.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:02 pm
@Lash,
You would think so, wouldn't you, but this is Alice's Wonderland where nonsense is seen as brilliance.

The comment is born of the instantaneous attack mode in which both campaigns find themselves.

McCain announces Palin and Obama's campaign must attack her.

What do they choose for the subject of their attack? Her inexperience.

Incredible.

Are we supposed to question the inexperience of someone who might be a heartbeat away from the presidency but ignore it in someone who is running to actually be the president?

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Da Finn wrote:
Are we supposed to question the inexperience of someone who might be a heartbeat away from the presidency but ignore it in someone who is running to actually be the president?

Finn, you're certainly bright enough to know that this is just a silly Republican meme.

This certainly bears repeating.

Quote:
Bill Richardson:

Fellow citizens-I am not known as a quiet man. But I hope you will allow me, for a moment, to bring quiet to this great hall.

Because at a time when young men and women are dying for our country overseas, America faces a question worthy of silent reflection. And the American people are watching to see how we answer it. What is the best measure of a person's capacity to protect this country? There are often moments of great importance that go unnoticed in the unruly course of history.

And six years ago, there was a moment of great clarity and foresight. And if the world had known to listen, perhaps today there would be less heartache and sorrow. In October 2002, on a small stage before a small crowd, Barack Obama gave a speech that was barely noticed at the time.

In the midst of great fervor-brought about by an administration that questioned the patriotism of anyone who disagreed with it-Barack Obama called the coming war what it was: "a war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics." He was right!

Barack's words were prescient and brave. "I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East-and strengthen the recruitment arm of Al-Qaida." He was right!

He said: "a successful war against Iraq would require a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences." He was right!

Instead, Barack Obama urged President Bush-who's never in the mood to be urged in a direction other than his own folly-to finish the fight with bin Laden and Al-Qaida. He was right!

Six years ago, in this simple but forceful speech, Barack Obama did more than just challenge President Bush. He offered a detailed vision for foreign policy-including the vigorous enforcement of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty-condemnation of human rights abuses even among our allies-and a commitment to reconciliation between Pakistan and India. He was right!

At the same time, there was another voice. After 9/11, John McCain turned his sights toward Iraq-a country that had nothing to do with 9/11-and called for a full-scale invasion. Barack Obama foresaw chaos. John McCain said we'd be welcomed as liberators, and that Iraq would pay for its own rebuilding. John McCain was wrong. Barack Obama was right!

Barack Obama was among the first to call for a timetable for responsible withdrawal. But John McCain, to this day, condemns the idea. The Iraqis are calling for a withdrawal timetable, but John McCain would keep us in Iraq for 100 years. John McCain is wrong. Barack Obama is right.

And Barack Obama saw the foolishness of embracing Pakistan's Musharraf. John McCain thought we should support the dictator and let him take care of the Pakistani terrorists. Musharaff is now gone, and the terrorists are stronger than ever. John McCain was wrong. Barack Obama was right.

With America fighting two wars, the 9/11 terrorists still at large, Iran pursuing nuclear weapons

and Russia in Georgia, America needs a president who gets it right the first time. That president will be Barack Obama. With a vision of foreign policy that has ranged far beyond Iraq, Barack Obama has found a kindred spirit in another leader of great strength and wisdom-Joe Biden.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe we must fight the terrorists-not where we imagine them to be, but where we know them to be-like Afghanistan and Pakistan. We must lead a global effort to secure loose nuclear materials, not where we imagine them to be, but where we know them to be, in Russia, and the countries of the former Soviet Union.

It's time we had a president committed to fighting poverty in the Third World and ending the genocide in Darfur; who leads international efforts to stop global warming, strengthens our friendship with Mexico and Latin America, and stands behind Israel with full-time diplomacy to achieve peace in the Middle East; a president who ends the global scourge of AIDS in our time and sets an example of moral leadership by following our constitution, shutting down Guantanamo, and ending torture.

We must do all of this, not because we imagine these are American ideals, but because we know they are.

And ladies and gentlemen, Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe it's time to finish the job and get bin Laden. We don't need another four years of more of the same. It's time for the change America needs. This is the judgment and vision of Barack Obama. This is the preparation he has to be President of the United States. And this is the man we need to return our country into the goodwill of other nations and the grace of history.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
This aspect of the selection, the potential for attracting Hillary supporters, is obvious, but it is not the only basis for the choice.

Palin is a solid conservative and, I'm sure it is hoped, will excite the conservative base of the Republican party.

She is also, clearly, a Washington outsider who bolsters McCain image as a maverick and reformist, while Obama (he of the New Politics) chose one of the quintessential Washington insiders, Joe Biden.

She doesn't have an embarrassing record of critcizing McCain and praising Obama, and she's as frank and tough as Biden. Undoubtedly when she debates Biden he will attempt to paint her as an inexperienced novice (a wise approach) but he has been wrong about enough international issues to be shown up as experienced in pontificating but not necessary in making decision (or at least the correct ones). It is certainly possible for her to win a debate with Biden. Whether she will or not remains to be seen.

We are certain to hear more about the investigation in Alaska concerning her firing her brother-in-law. I admit I'm not fully up to speed on the facts, but it appears that if she did abuse her power as governor it was to get even with a wife-beater -- not exactly red meat.

She is an extremely interesting choice, not the least of all because she is anything but the sort of professional politician with the unbound ambitions and ego of Obama, Biden and McCain.

It certainly seems that if Democrats can dismiss the inexperience of Obama in favor of his perceived "freshness" and promise the same forgiveness should be applied to Palin, and if we have to take a chance on an inexperienced, but decent and exhuberant newcomer, doesn't it make sense to do so with one who is running for the apprentice's position, and not that of the master?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
But, she's farther to the right then McCain! How does that attract moderates?

It doesn't, if she is perceived as an extreme right-winger. At some point the Dems will focus on doing just that, but I don't think it will stick. She's not very well known, but it seems as if she is a conservative who is focused on living rather than imposing conservative values. She is not going to be easily portrayed as a right wing christian who wants to tell everyone what they can and cannot do in their private lives.

At the same time, the McCain calculation is that there is a group of women voters who will place a considerable premium on the gender of the candidates and particularly so because of the sexisim they believe Hillary suffered, and a beginning impression of McCain that is fairly favorable.

Admittedly, Palin is hardly likely to attract the 18 million Dems who voted for Hillary in the primaries, but she doesn't have to. If this race is as close as it appears it will be, picking up even 10 percent of the disaffected Hillary supporters will be important.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:46 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Given Mcains age and cancer history a person who votes this ticket should have their head examined, there is zero reason to think that the GOP VP is up to being a asset as VP much less stepping into the POTUS role if the need were to arise.

This is hawkeyes's comment not yours JTT but it bears a close enough resemblance.

Again, we are supposed to worry about McCain's health in terms of Palin's inexperience, but ignore Obama's inexperience and vote for him.

This makes no sense at all, and is a trap by which you have all been ensnared.

We're not supposed to vote for McCain because Palin isn't qualified to "step into" the POTUS role, but we are supposed to elect the unqualified Obama directly into that role.

Why am I not surprised that you do not see the parallel with Alice's Wonderland?

And what is this fondness you Cyclo and Snood have for using the term meme?

I guess you all read "The Selfish Gene." (or at least the Cliffs Notes)

You also all use it with a sneering derisive tone, and always attribute memes to Republicans and/or conservatives. If you really buy the concept, surely you realize that any ideology is capable of and has propigated memes, and if they are all to be scorned surely the liberal ones deserve the same treatment.

Unless of course you contend that Liberals have hit upon fundamental truths while conservatives can only spread "memes.'

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
1.8 Million won't even cover the opposition to a female in power. The rapist isn't the only misogynist out there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Come on now Finn... a trap? That's all you've got to say about her experience after spending the last year reminding us how little Obama has... at every opportunity. How do you feel about McCain's pick without the Obama glasses on?
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Not a normal State? Apparently youhave never been there and do not know much about it's history.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:23 am
Why are the dems attacking her lack of experience?
Lets look at some of their initial attacks.
They say that she has no national security experience.
That is true, but the last 2 dem presidents were also sitting governors with no national security experience when they were elected (Carter, Clinton).
They say she has no experience in national politics.
True, but neither did the last 2 dem presidents.

She does have more executive experience then Obama OR Biden, since neither of them have run a city govt, let alone a state govt.

She is a DC outsider, unlike the other 3 people in the race.
Lets face it, you cant get more outside DC then Alaska.
IMO, this is the best choice McCain could have made, and one I have been pushing for at least a year (If there was a search function on this new A2K I could find the exact post).

I noticed that the attacks on her started as soon as her name was announced.MSNBC had a "Breaking News" flash when she was elected with the line "How many houses does she bring to the ticket?"
I thought that was a little ridiculous on their part.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:44 am
@mysteryman,
BTW,
She has been to Iraq, and her oldest son is deploying to Iraq in Sept.
So, the dems cant say that she isnt allowing her own family to go to war, which is a charge they like to throw around against repubs.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:16 am
@JTT,
Do you know what the VP's job is?
Do you know what the VP does daily as part of his official duties?

Does anybody know?
The only official duty the VP has, as defined by the Constitution, is to be the President of the Senate... Article 1, Section 3 states "The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

So, that is the ONLY constitutionally defined job the VP has.

So, I ask you again, do you know exactly what the VP's job is on a day to day basis?

You attacked her for not knowing something that to be honest you dont know either, and neither does the rest of the country.