Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 12:53 am
@brianjakub,
This thread is about evolution, and the folly of those who dismiss science because of their own beliefs. I've consistently supported scientific findings because only an idiot would do otherwise.

Your desire to put people into boxes has nothing to do with the topic. You're just irritated because you're used to telling people what to do, and over here you can't.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 01:00 am
@izzythepush,
Hi Izzy, Talk to you later. Ignore Brian, he doesn't really have a rational grasp about what the current Pope believes...
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 01:24 am
@glitterbag,
Hi GB, I'm finally moved out, but long way to go before being moved in, surrounded by boxes.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 01:43 am
@izzythepush,
I hope I get carried out feet first. I really don't think I can pack and then unpack a bunch of boxes evet again. I've been surrounded by boxes, from us, Mr. G'bags Mom and Brother and of course things from my Mom and Dad's house. My brothers second wife also wanted to store almost a whole house full of crap in our basement........I agreed and the basement looked like a hoarders paradise.

I hope you get everything sorted quickly, and if you find something in those boxes you don't need or want, throw it away.

Happy moving Izzy, tell the kids your crazy Yank friend says Hi.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 02:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
It was the trusted people at phys.org's argument. Go tell it to them.
Phys.org was just copying an AFP article:
http://phys.org/news/2018-05-gene-survey-reveals-facets-evolution.html
http://www.afp.com/en/news/826/sweeping-gene-survey-reveals-new-facets-evolution-doc-15e2yc1

Phys.org also has a copy of the press release that came directly from the scientists, if there are concerns that AFP botched things:
http://phys.org/news/2018-05-special-humanity-tiny-dna-differences.html
https://phe.rockefeller.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/FINAL-Human-Evolution-PHE-news-release-spring-2018-002.pdf

Or, if anyone wants to read the actual article published in the scientific journal:
http://www.pontecorboli.com/digital/he_archive_articles/he122018/1_Stockle_Thaler.pdf
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 03:54 am
@glitterbag,
I will, though probably not in those terms. I'm in the middle of phone calls, utilities etc. and stuff I've left until after the move. It will be a very long time before I'm properly moved in.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 08:09 am
@oralloy,
Thx for the links. Maybe that will satisfy those pathetic arguments about “Oh you can’t trust those rooky reporters with science”. Jeez, they’ve got a million excuses for not accepting any indication of problems with their sacred evolution.
Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 08:11 pm
Journalists usually do get science wrong--and history, and sociology and any number of other topics about which they pretend to write authoritatively. The pathetic ones here certainly have a whole heard of sacred cows, but that is not those who give credence to a theory of evolution.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 08:46 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Thx for the links. Maybe that will satisfy those pathetic arguments about “Oh you can’t trust those rooky reporters with science”. Jeez, they’ve got a million excuses for not accepting any indication of problems with their sacred evolution.
It's interesting that almost all species have a recent sole ancestor within the past couple hundred thousand years.

I suggest a hypothesis that, in addition to occasional pandemics wiping populations out (the hypothesis proposed by the scientists), occasional mutations are so beneficial that individuals with the mutation outcompete the rest and soon take over the species.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 07:41 am
@oralloy,
Your hypothesis fits the evidence much better than the neo Darwinist's contrivance.

Trouble is, it requires something akin to design so it’s a non starter for them. A carefully aimed gama ray at just the right point in a gene would require some intelligent aiming.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 07:46 am
Quote:
Journalists usually do get science wrong

More excuses. The original paper was linked to if anyone cared to read it.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 08:50 am
Buddy of mine calls this the Joel Chandler Harris version of a theory of evolution... enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppetBnX_Hf0

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 09:18 am
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/228798/20180530/massive-genetic-study-reveals-90-percent-of-earth-s-animals-appeared-at-the-same-time.htm
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 12:53 pm
@gungasnake,
Sounds reasonable. Life forms would have established itself when the environment made it possible. Probably started from a single cell, and evolved to what was established during some period of time.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 01:36 pm
The concept of evolution freed us from the slavery of the church and allowed us the freedom of the spiritual quest, because it eliminated the need for a supernatural. The supernatural is a defense mechanism against the realities of nature and is contrary to faith. The acceptance of nature in all its glory and horror is true faith. Alan Watts said: "Belief is holding onto, but faith is letting go."
gungasnake

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 02:35 pm
@coluber2001,
Evolution started off as a platform thesis for the British empire and East India Company and was later adopted as the philosophical corner stone for Nazism, Communism, and the various eugenics programs. Of the world's religions, only islam has ever caused as much grief in the world.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 03:13 pm
@gungasnake,
Social Darwinism is a total corruption of evolution and was used as a justification for eugenics.
brianjakub

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2018 07:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Life cannot establish itself. A system cannot create itself when it doesnt exist yet to create itself. How is your statement logical?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2018 07:49 am
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:

Life cannot establish itself.

Assumption, incorrect, therefore dogma.

Quote:
In a major step toward creating artificial life, US researchers have developed a living organism that incorporates both natural and artificial DNA and is capable of creating entirely new, synthetic proteins.

The work, published in the journal Nature, brings scientists closer to the development of designer proteins made to order in a laboratory.

Previous work by Floyd Romesberg, a chemical biologist at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, showed that it was possible to expand the genetic alphabet of natural DNA beyond its current four letters: adenine(A), cytosine(C), guanine (G) and thymine(T).

In 2014, Romesberg and colleagues created a strain of E. coli bacteria that contained two unnatural letters, X and Y.

In the latest work, Romesberg’s team has shown that this partially synthetic form of E. coli can take instructions from this hybrid genetic alphabet to make new proteins.

“This is the first time ever a cell has translated a protein using something other than G, C, A or T,” Romesberg said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/artificial-life-synthetic-dna-scientists-living-organisms-create-scripps-research-institute-floyd-a8083966.html<br />
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2018 08:46 am
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Social Darwinism is a total corruption of evolution and was used as a justification for eugenics.

But you said, nature can be cruel.
Embrace your nature, right?
You have no room to complain about nature in all its grandure and horror since it has no room for man made inventions like morality.
0 Replies