Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:04 pm
@Blickers,
Our bishops aren't as "mostly symbolic" as you like to think.

Quote:
Religious leaders have piled on to attack Conservative ministers' attempts to reform laws affecting child poverty.

Bishops sitting in the House of Lords voiced "deep concern" over a Bill that would change metrics used to measure the success of hitting poverty targets and cut welfare paid to domestic violence victims with more than two kids.

They said that if passed, the proposals would "lead to more children and families being poor".

Paul Butler, the Bishop of Durham, lamented he was worried by what he saw as the Government's reluctance to publish information and statistics on child poverty figures that could used by politicians and charities to hold it to account.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/29/child-poverty-benefits-measurement-reforms-bishops_n_9348540.html

I think they do a good job, focussing on real moral issues like child poverty instead of telling women what they should do with their bodies, which is why I'm quite happy to let them stay where they are.
Blickers

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Way back when in elementary school and further, we were taught that the House of Lords is basically ceremonial in nature, while theoretically they can stop legislation they stopped doing so a long time ago. It's not remotely comparable to the Senate, which often changes and even rejects bills from the House of Representatives. So those Bishops can get a lot of publicity and perhaps some action as a result of that, but that's about where it stops. Isn't this the case?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 04:31 pm
@Blickers,
I don't know enough about your Senate to comment, but both of your houses are elected so in theory one should not take priority over another.

The Commons takes priority, it's elected, not appointed, but the Lords can throw legislation back, and depending how close they are to a general election they can stop it. A good example is the Fox Hunting Bill, if Labour had not had two terms it would never have become law.

You also have to recognise that the Tories, who claim to stand for family values, are put on the back foot when they're criticised by the bishops. A lot of their supporters are godsquad and they don't want to be seen to be going against the church.

The Lords have succeeded in stopping proposed cuts by the Tory government in the current parliament, that's real it's happened.

Quote:
George Osborne executed a U-turn on planned cuts to tax credits, using an unexpected £27bn fiscal windfall in a bid to defuse a damaging political row.

The chancellor had promised to modify his plan, which would have cost low-income families an average of £1,000 a year, after a rebellion in the Lords and among his own MPs.

As he delivered his autumn statement on Wednesday, Osborne claimed to have listened to concerns about the changes and decided “the simplest thing to do is not to phase these changes in but to avoid them altogether”.

He said higher than expected tax revenues and lower interest payments on government debt had opened up an extra £27bn of fiscal wriggle room, which will be used to cancel the tax credit plans and ease back on the scale of spending cuts in other areas.
The reversal of tax credit cuts is not just an embarrassing climbdown since he introduced the plans four months ago. It also means the chancellor breaches his self-imposed welfare cap, which was meant to limit the cost of social security. Osborne said he would still cut £12bn from the welfare bill, but would do so “in a way that helps families, as we make the transition to our national living wage”.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/25/george-osborne-u-turn-scrap-tax-credit-cuts-autumn-statement<br /> <br />
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 04:53 pm
@izzythepush,
To put L1000 in perspective, what effect will that have on the average middle class family.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know what you mean by L1000, but this delay will have a huge impact on the poorest in our society. It's not only average middle class people who matter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:30 pm
@izzythepush,
l1000 = 1000 pounds.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You can always use this symbol, £. It is the pound symbol after all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 07:40 pm
@izzythepush,
I couldn't find it on my cell phone. I know the pound symbol having visited London often. Even met up with Brits at the age Olde Cheshire Cheese.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 04:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, I wondered what the L you were on about. Cheshire cheese? You'd be better off going to Somerset for a nice bit of Cheddar, and Cheddar gorge.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01373/Cheddar-Gorge_1373977c.jpg
Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 04:12 am
The House of Representatives and the Senate serve very distinctly, different purposes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 04:19 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, House of Lords . . . now there's an important, effective legislative body. Disraeli has been dead for more than a hundred and thiry years. The gutter press and their slack-jawed readership are the only people who give a rat's ass who your "royal" family may marry.
Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 04:20 am
Can someone explain to me what the antics of the inbred population of England have to do with the teaching of evolution in the United States?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Really, don't you remember this thread?

http://able2know.org/topic/164179-1

Looks like a lot of excitement to me.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jd8BmF-xWyg/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kyRPnIb3z8Q/hqdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CG3v5utQixY/hqdefault.jpg

Americans like sparkly things.

Glad to see you're so emboldened by your boy Trump's success that you've decided to use some of his lines. That's a good thing, variety is the spice of life and all that.

I have more productive things to do with my time than try to explain anything to you, sounds a bit too much like what Zeus had Sisyphus doing. You could always try Trump University.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 05:33 am
See my last post. If you have better things to do, then why are you trashing this thread, Einstein?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:41 am
@Setanta,
I wasn't, I was having a discussion with CI and Bickers about the separation of church and state. Quite a civil conversation actually, until you started.

I don't know what's happened, you used to be such a jolly happy chap, full of the joys of Spring and all that. Has someone stolen your happy helmet? Time to get a new one.

Listen to your old pal Stinky Wizzleteats, he won't let you down.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:52 am
You're just as full of sh*t as a freshly slaughtered goose, and still you make up more as you go along.

You were peddling your typical, irrational hatred of the United States and i called you on it. Now you want to piss and moan and whine about how badly innocent you are treated. Grow up, you bigoted wanker.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:54 am
@Setanta,
That doesn't sound very happy to me!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 08:04 am
Ah-hahahahaha . . . you can't really believe i give a rat's ass how i "sound" to you. You just want to keep the back and forth alive so you can continue to troll the thread. Really, grow up.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 09:16 am
@Setanta,
You were the one who butted in on a conversation between CI, Blickers and myself.

You have always been a great source of entertainment though, even if you do sometimes come across as being a bit needy. You might want to work on that.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 05:46 pm
@rosborne979,
It is funny how they always use the constitution to stop critical thinking.