Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 02:39 pm
@farmerman,
Does that sort of thing pass for discourse in your neck of the woods fm?

It's pure drivel. Run on running off at the mouth.

7 lines on the culture of Christianity and science.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:52 pm
anomie, did you mean demarcation? Ive never come into contact with darmmaction? what did you mean by paraconsistency?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:00 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
paraconsistency

A statement or proposition of consistency.
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:03 pm
@farmerman,
"Paraconsistency" is self-explanatory fm.

"Para" means at or to one side of, beside, side by side”. A random choice. "At" like your consistency in writing drivel like that post where you disposed of our culture in 7 lines. "To one side of, beside and side by side" consistency in your reasoning. ITACHATO.

(I tittered and chortled at that one.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
both words dont mean anything . darmaction and paraconsistent. Id guess that paraconsistent means something like usually cosnsistent or not necessarily consistent , darmaction , I have not a clue.
Ill wait till tomorrow and check in to see what Anomie actually was gettin at.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
He loves to use 1,000 dollar words when simple English would suffice. He tries to make himself sound intelligent, but smart people don't have to use 1,000 dollar words. They can communicate very well without them.

The only time I used 1,000 dollar words was in college when we were required to write a report.

I'm sure his form of communication even challenges most professors.
Anomie

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:25 pm
@farmerman,
Do not worry, I am adapting, this will clarify:

The 'darmacation problem' is simply the how the line is drawn between concepts.

Spendius already justified 'paraconsistency', there are many words with a 'para' pre fix.

You may interpret 'paraconsistency' as a special pleading (double standard if yo will), as an example if psychology is a natural science, the social scientific implications of psychology would be the special pleading, hence the is the logical repercussions of identity, which is axiomatic.

Another example, relativism is a special pleading of absolutism, a relative arguement is in fact suggested to be absolute.

There is also a field in logic, being paraconsistent logic, this is the special pleading of informal systems being acknowledged by formal logic, again there are logical repercussions.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You know how it is when you are a young smart person and no one is taking you as seriously as you would like to be taken, You will do all sorts of things to be noticed. This is how we learn someone has to clue us in at times.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:19 pm
@Anomie,
Quote:
The 'darmacation problem' is simply the how the line is drawn between concepts.

Which requires, as George Bernard Shaw explained, the extremes to be identified for orientation purposes. The concept of "teaching evolution" for example.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I use the old "fog factor" analysis in my classes. When the total number of words divided into the number of syllables is greater than 7, the person is trying to bullshit his or her way into my graces.

The "fog factor' is a technique that USGS had adopted for its technical reports and professional papaers. Many authors (like our friend) wrongfully believe that sounding out with many syllables is better than saying it simply when the opposite is the truth. When Id grade papers and someone would use a term like Paradigm or para-anything (except paramagnetism) Id have a comment on the paper. AS Michelangelo said (see my sig line)
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:33 pm
@Anomie,
Quote:
The 'darmacation problem' is simply the how the line is drawn between concepts

OH, so you did mean DEMARCATION, why didnt you just say that ? My failure to grasp was because you had "darmacation and paraconsistency" as a linkeage . Im used to spendis affluence of incohol factoring into his communications that he posts after 5PM EST,

OK where were we?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:40 pm
@farmerman,
One of the best lessons I learned while working at Florsheim as Audit Manager was what my boss told me. He said to keep administrative letters to store managers simple; as if writing to the dumbest one in the company. That ensures that every manager will know what you are trying to communicate. 1,000 dollar words would have been unthinkable.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:40 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Paradigm

What word would you rather use or is it not a word that is needed in your field so there is no need to use it. I think it may be of more value in the social science.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It seems that I heard you say that before or someone said something very similar but it does make sense.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:50 pm
@reasoning logic,
Paradigm is a "kiddie word", every kid in science and engineering wants to sound really intelligent and will pepper their work with such words. They will force fit it . As you said, its got very little use in the hard science except selectively in cosmology or particle phys. Geology is where the rocks pretty much dont change , so there are really no changing paradigms. Even the discovery and development of Plate Tectonics theory wasn a PAradigm shift, it was a damn revolution that caused many of the early academics to just retire and say "**** it, Im too old for this ****".

I used to wear Florsheims wing tips when I went to court, they ,(and Dexters)were the only shoes made that were never a problem to break in. However, as I got older and had fewer opportunities to keep 'City" shoes along in my travel bags, I began wearing funky cowboy boots. Nobody has learned to make a shoe that is as comfortable as a pair of Llama boots. All mine are plain cordovan or black so they dont look too "gay"
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
You did; I've used that simple communication style during most of my career which was in management positions. My bosses never complained, so I assumed they agreed with my communication style.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:58 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Paradigm shift

It does not seem to be used very often in the social science but it is used. I do not know about you but I used to want to fit in with other smart folks like you but it all gets old in time, many of us just did not realize how ridicules we sounded when we did that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 07:35 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Paradigm is a "kiddie word",

If that's true, then why did the daleks, the most intelligent, and evil, creatures in the universe, use it the last time they were on Doctor Who? Sheesh, isn't it about time you started living in the real world?
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 09:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah yes, the daleks. I remember whenn the first Doc WHo shows had these guys that looked like upside down ice crem cones and they WERE the daleks.

Yep, an overused kiddie word whose only purpose was to impress other kiddies.
spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 05:24 am
@farmerman,
A paradigm shift, such as a change in basic assumptions from pre to post coital, takes place regarding the teaching of evolution when one's experience is sufficient to fit in all the pieces of the jigsaw rather than just a few subjectively selected ones.

Just as basic assumptions about rich people are changed on winning the lottery.