Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:59 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
Been trolling the idiot boards again have you loser? Why don't you stay there permanently? Because no-one here is interested in the pathetic **** you dribble.

That is untrue. A falsehood. A lie. I read the link. It interested me enough for that. When I cease to be interested in things that cross my path is when I get brain dead. Only being interested in what I am already interested in is what babies are like.

Such a policy is anti-education and anyone promoting such a policy should be kept well away from classrooms in a democratic system. And from pubs. They should be provided with a mirror on the "treatment in the community" principle and left to get on with their self-validating solipsism.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:53 am
Quote:
Anti-evolution resolution introduced in Oklahoma House
(Bart B. Van Bockstaele, Digital Journal, March 8, 2009)

Sometimes, facts are stranger than fiction, and here are these facts:

HR 1014: A resolution disapproving certain actions of the University of Oklahoma regarding the theory of evolution

HR 1015: A resolution opposing the invitation to Richard Dawkins to speak at the University of Oklahoma and encouraging certain discussion

Both resolutions were filed on March 3, 2009. To the best of my knowledge, they have not been discussed or voted and they are not binding. It is truly remarkable however, that a politician is trying to tell a scientific institution that it cannot teach science, and that it cannot invite prominent scientists.

The danger here is great. The theory of evolution is not merely a funny story we tell our children to amuse them just before bed.

Not teaching evolution in zoology class, is comparable to not teaching arithmetic in maths class, or not teaching gravity in physics class. In other words, without it, there is simply no science to talk about, just a collection of loose, unrelated facts that make no sense.

The theory of evolution is the basis of biology. Without it, as Dobzhansky is reputed to have said, nothing in biology makes sense. Biology without the theory of evolution is as useless as physics without classical mechanics or relativity.

These resolutions are aimed at a university!
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:23 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
The theory of evolution is the basis of biology. Without it, as Dobzhansky is reputed to have said, nothing in biology makes sense. Biology without the theory of evolution is as useless as physics without classical mechanics or relativity.

Reading a paragraph like that is enough to try anybody's patience. Quoting it for us to read stimulates disgust and contempt.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:38 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
Been trolling the idiot boards again have you loser? Why don't you stay there permanently? Because no-one here is interested in the pathetic **** you dribble.

Welcome to my ignore list.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:52 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Your free association with the Holocaust is about as stupid as your overall worldview .

I assume you're referring to the Holocaust of WW-II...

You're claiming you side with Zippo and the slammites and what not on that one??

gungasnake

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The Alleghany CAve rat is adapted to the tops of the ALleghaeny mountains by developing a larger boidy, smaller tail, and different dentition.

And he's still a rat, isn't he?
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:54 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
You're claiming you side with Zippo and the slammites and what not on that one??

Hey diphit, YOU are the one who was blaming the holocaust on Darwin so yes, I ws referring toWWII.
Zippo denies the holocaust . You bothy are helpless in different arenas.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:56 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
And he's still a rat, isn't he?
You really are an idiot . Not only are you ignorant of facts ,and mechanisms, you are continuing to play the same dumass tunes to see whether they get new responses.
Go away asshole.
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:32 am
gunga-- it is a lapse in good taste to participate in a discussion in which you close yourself off from another contributor to it no matter what is said. You should welcome Wilso's efforts because they expose to view the true nature of the atheist position and I incline to think that most civilised people will be reluctant to associate themselves with it. The idea that it might appear in a classroom is abhorrent and that it might condition the members of school boards and the administrative bureaucracy of education is horrendous.

And the same applies to such things as

Quote:
Go away asshole.

No sense can be made of discussions between the vulgar using vulgarity as a weapon. Only gentlemen of erudition and impeccable manners such as myself are capable of discovering an acceptable compromise between what are incompatible viewpoints. All vulgarity achieves is to render the incompatabilty more severe and no solution is then possible despite it being necessary that one is possible.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:57 am
@wandeljw,
It's Oklahoma. I repeat, Oklahoma. Between the SBC and ignorant right-wing anti-evolutionists, education is supposedly for heretics and like the Spanish Inquisition they'd subconsciously love to physically torture anyone who actually was using intelligent thought to guide their lives.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:59 am
@farmerman,
gunga crawls on the ground on his belly; what more needs be said?
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 12:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Also -- Eat up logic and reason many times larger than a his mind can consume and dispense them in a huge load brain farts and bullshit.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'll tell you ci. what needs to be said. You anti-IDers to say whether you wish to see the US with all religion eradicated and it proceed on a pure atheistic agenda, which is what you are campaigning for.

If you haven't the guts to say it you should stop campaigning for it. Otherwise you just look silly however many people you assert are on their bellies.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:11 pm
@spendius,
Wrong again dearie. Noone said anything about eradicating religion. Thats another MT assertion by your fevered mind. What I want is that religion stay the hell out of science classes. (Actually the RC church sid it quite convincingly).
Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:49 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

gunga-- it is a lapse in good taste to participate in a discussion in which you close yourself off from another contributor to it no matter what is said. You should welcome Wilso's efforts because they expose to view the true nature of the atheist position and I incline to think that most civilised people will be reluctant to associate themselves with it. The idea that it might appear in a classroom is abhorrent and that it might condition the members of school boards and the administrative bureaucracy of education is horrendous.

And the same applies to such things as

Quote:
Go away asshole.

No sense can be made of discussions between the vulgar using vulgarity as a weapon. Only gentlemen of erudition and impeccable manners such as myself are capable of discovering an acceptable compromise between what are incompatible viewpoints. All vulgarity achieves is to render the incompatabilty more severe and no solution is then possible despite it being necessary that one is possible.

Spendi, you're a cocksucking dipshit. You've never made a single post that makes the slightest bit of sense. Everyone is fed up to the eyeballs with your incomprehensible rambling. So just **** off back to the bar. Keep swilling those pints and hopefully your liver will finally give up the ghost and put you out of our misery you pathetic waste of oxygen.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:50 pm
ie. Drop dead you worthless ****.
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:58 pm
@farmerman,
Wait a minute effemm. Look back over the names you have called religious people. Surely you are not recommending that kids be taught anything by people who fit your descriptions and those of your Claque?

And all those names apply to Catholics and here you are claiming they support your position.

Religion does stay out of science classes in the main. Nobody can answer for the odd ones out. Evolution is anti-religion in the public mind. Keep that out as well and there's no problem. wande quoted a survey which showed that nearly half of biology teachers do just that.

I don't know what it means that the Church said what you say it did? A science class is a part of a school and a school is part of a community.

Are you now saying that you don't want religion eradicating? Well then- you whole position is lost. You have allowed for God. Or FSMs. Or tooth fairies.

You're wobbling. We know you didn't say anything about eradicating religion. You daren't. But it is implied in all your posts. So you didn't use those exact words. So what? That's all you are denying--using those exact words.
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 04:00 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
ie. Drop dead you worthless ****.

Got you rattled have I?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 04:50 pm
@Wilso,
I wish Id said that
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I wish Id said that

Id did say it. Not that it meant anything except maybe that Mr and Mrs Average would like to keep Id well away from their kids in state sponsored authority positions.