Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:13 pm
"For centuries scientists and philosophers have marveled at an eerie coincidence. Mathematics, a creation of human reason, can predict the nature of the universe, a fact physicist Eugene Wigner referred to as the "unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in the physical sciences." In the last three decades astronomers and cosmologists have noticed another, seemingly unrelated, mystery. Contrary to all expectations, the laws of physics seem precisely "fine-tuned" for the existence of complex life.

Could these two wonders actually be isolated pieces of a wider pattern? Both are prerequisites for science, yet what about the process of scientific discovery itself? What are its necessary conditions? Why is it even possible? Read any book on the history of science, and you'll learn about magnificent tales of human ingenuity, persistence, and dumb luck. But that's only part of the story, and not even the most important part. Our location is much more critical to science than it is to real estate. For some reason our Earthly location is extraordinarily well suited to allow us to peer into the heavens and discover its secrets.

Elsewhere, you might learn that Earth and its local environment provide a delicate, and probably exceedingly rare, cradle for complex life. But there's another, even more startling, fact, described: those same rare conditions that produce a habitable planet-that allow for the existence of complex observers like ourselves-also provide the best overall place for observing. What does this mean? At the least, it turns our view of the universe inside out. The universe is not "pointless" (Steven Weinberg), Earth merely "a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark," (Carl Sagan) and human existence "just a more-or-less farcical outcome of a chain of accidents" (Steven Weinberg). On the contrary, the evidence we can uncover from our Earthly home points to a universe that is designed for life, and designed for discovery."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:28 pm
It's all tommyrot. Of course life arises in a setting which is propitious. If conditions weren't favorable, life would not arise . . . Duh . . .
Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:30 pm
@Lightwizard,
That was an extremely bad joke, and i only wish there were a god, so you could be made to pay for it in Hell . . .
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:55 pm
@Setanta,
Somehow I knew you'd be back punishing me for that! So sorry. Could not resist.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:55 pm
@Setanta,
Well, how dare you! Mad Wink
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:48 am
@Lightwizard,
There's genetic drift, of course: mutated alleles which confer no significant advantage to the individual/colony and thus may become fixed entirely by chance, that chance inflated in the case of the founder effect. It isn't "Darwinian", which usually refers to Darwin's theories of evolution, especially natural selection.

Naturally, these people don't even know what that is. In this context, they aren't aware of any scientific theories: they tend to either be so ignorant that they truly think that ID is science or so devoted to their cause that they're willing to blatantly lie about it.
Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:52 am
@farmerman,
Epigenetics is quite Darwinian... don't believe the sensationalist press releases/trash science journalism that would have you believe that epigenetics is so fantastic and new that all of our main biological considerations must be resynthesized: biologists are quite comfortable with some factors being both influenced by the environment and heritable: phenotypic plasticity is one example of this type of thinking and developmental biology has been going over this stuff for years.

I think you'll find an interesting correlation between 'EPIGENETICS WILL REVOLUTIONIZE BIOLOGY!!!' and either the researchers themselves or popular science magazines.
Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:56 am
@farmerman,
He is absolutely faking his presentations, however. He *still* brings up the obvious idiocy of the bacterial flagellum, even after explicitly *abandoning it*, but only for private presentations. He's big on reinventing what happened at Dover, PA, too (and should know better).

Given his actions, it's clear that as a True Believerâ„¢, he still recognizes the fallacies in what he's saying but either doesn't care that it's fallacious (and still likes them) or thinks it's A-OK to lie for the cause.
Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 01:04 am
@genoves,
And such is the mantra of anyone dead set on flogging a red herring while insulting someone, thus exposing themselves as a pompous ass.

"don't know ****" indeed. Touché, you are a formidable opponent of Mr. Setanta.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:40 am
@Shirakawasuna,
The implications of epigenteic transfer becomes rather Lamarkian , since it may explain a mechanism for retention of "acquired characteristics" for a generation or more while a trait makes it through a population. Im following the news from Sean Carrolls persepctive since Im interested in the environmental changes that affected the extinction of rapidly evolving "index fossils". These give us some really tight environmental information for locations of hydrocarbon and pre-diagenetic (think setting concrete) deposits like gypsum and alumina.
Epigenetics seems to me to give a viable mechanism to punctuated equilibrium .

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:10 am
@Shirakawasuna,
I disagree. Ive met Behe (and Steve Austen) several times and Im always amazed at how sincere and commited they are in their "Belief systems" That, to me, is even more of a problem because it leaves nowhere that one can insert reason into the argument or discussion.
Austen made his bones as an optical mineralogist and his dissertation was on the effects of a diagnostic type of "halo" that develops in micas in granites that comntain specific transuranics. His research into this phenom (called directional pleichroism) was developed into an argument that "Polonium halos argue for a young earth" He has been beaten up by colleagues who point out that hes incorrect but hes merely turned this into an argument by Faith. He dismisses real science in this topic by stating that science can be wrong in the "halo" argument were the TIME SCALE of the early earth speeded up. .AND he accepts a universal flood (The dudes got a PhD from a good university and he just went off the edge later).
If these guys were mere charlatans then I could almost understand that "theyre doing it for money or notoriety". However, thats not the case. They are sincere, commited, they believe in their cause, and they have learned not to let the science critiques sink in very deeply. RAther frustrating. Its like everyone on the side of Creationism /ID was like gungasnake, except with credentials in a specific area of a relevant science and a research base from which to fan out for accolytes. They do believe that everything they say in the name of their brand of Christianity is blessed by the gret spirit. So, while there is some snake oil going around, they dont believe that they are the ones involved.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:37 am
@Shirakawasuna,
Genetic drift is a refinement of the tree of life, which is Darwinian, due to findings including DNA, discovered with technology he did not have. I stated that elsewhere and Darwin isn't turning over in his grave over it, he would be rejoicing that his learned suppositions which were a part of his theory or hypothesis have turned into modern evolution. It's not natural to see branches of a tree growing other branches that interconnect in a web, so while the model is altered, it's still scientific truth. The truth is often in the details.

Behe and co. just pick and choose what fits into their model. Now we all know if it doesn't fit, you can't convict. Which is exactly what they started out to do -- put science on trial, even if they knowingly use the sin of omission (which is still a lie). It will backfire again and one of those will create an explosion they can't handle.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 11:17 am
@farmerman,
Frightening. However, it's been my observation that intelligence in certain specialties of study does not immune people from their religious beliefs of god and ID. It's a phenomenon that somebody needs to do a PhD thesis on.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 11:25 am
A link to a segment of a BBC documentary on the Tree of Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IrUUDboZo

If you click on the hi def button on the lower right, it's really impressive.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:17 pm
Quote:
How to spot a hidden religious agenda
(Amanda Gefter, New Scientist Magazine, February 28, 2009)

As a book reviews editor at New Scientist, I often come across so-called science books which after a few pages reveal themselves to be harbouring ulterior motives. I have learned to recognise clues that the author is pushing a religious agenda. As creationists in the US continue to lose court battles over attempts to have intelligent design taught as science in federally funded schools, their strategy has been forced to... well, evolve. That means ensuring that references to pseudoscientific concepts like ID are more heavily veiled. So I thought I'd share a few tips for spotting what may be religion in science's clothing.

Red flag number one: the term "scientific materialism". "Materialism" is most often used in contrast to something else - something non-material, or supernatural. Proponents of ID frequently lament the scientific claim that humans are the product of purely material forces. At the same time, they never define how non-material forces might work. I have yet to find a definition that characterises non-materialism by what it is, rather than by what it is not.

The invocation of Cartesian dualism - where the brain and mind are viewed as two distinct entities, one material and the other immaterial - is also a red flag. And if an author describes the mind, or any biological system for that matter, as "irreducibly complex", let the alarm bells ring.

Misguided interpretations of quantum physics are a classic hallmark of pseudoscience, usually of the New Age variety, but some religious groups are now appealing to aspects of quantum weirdness to account for free will. Beware: this is nonsense.

When you come across the terms "Darwinism" or "Darwinists", take heed. True scientists rarely use these terms, and instead opt for "evolution" and "biologists", respectively. When evolution is described as a "blind, random, undirected process", be warned. While genetic mutations may be random, natural selection is not. When cells are described as "astonishingly complex molecular machines", it is generally by breathless supporters of ID who take the metaphor literally and assume that such a "machine" requires an "engineer". If an author wishes for "academic freedom", it is usually ID code for "the acceptance of creationism".

Some general sentiments are also red flags. Authors with religious motives make shameless appeals to common sense, from the staid - "There is nothing we can be more certain of than the reality of our sense of self" (James Le Fanu in Why Us?) - to the silly - "Yer granny was an ape!" (creationist blogger Denyse O'Leary). If common sense were a reliable guide, we wouldn't need science in the first place.

Religiously motivated authors also have a bad habit of linking the cultural implications of a theory to the truth-value of that theory. The ID crowd, for instance, loves to draw a line from Darwin to the Holocaust, as they did in the "documentary" film Expelled: No intelligence allowed. Even if such an absurd link were justified, it would have zero relevance to the question of whether or not the theory of evolution is correct. Similarly, when Le Fanu writes that Darwin's On the Origin of Species "articulated the desire of many scientists for an exclusively materialist explanation of natural history that would liberate it from the sticky fingers of the theological inference that the beauty and wonder of the natural world was direct evidence for 'A Designer'", his statement has no bearing on the scientific merits of evolution.

It is crucial to the public's intellectual health to know when science really is science. Those with a religious agenda will continue to disguise their true views in their effort to win supporters, so please read between the lines.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:21 pm
@wandeljw,
wandel, We don't even have to read between the lines; anything that attempts to add to any science curriculum is suspect.
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:22 pm
@wandeljw,
That was entertaining.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's true, c.i., especially with the variety of subterfuges we have seen in the last five years.

The author of the above essay points out some "red flags" that I have never thought about, however. Shameless appeals to common sense is a good one: "If common sense were a reliable guide, we wouldn't need science in the first place."

spendius

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 01:24 pm
@wandeljw,
wande quoted-

Quote:
At the same time, they never define how non-material forces might work. I have yet to find a definition that characterises non-materialism by what it is, rather than by what it is not.

That's because it's a complete mystery but most people feel that the material explanation just doesn't feel right and quite a lot, including our anti-IDers, can't even handle the idea and ignore it.

Quote:
And if an author describes the mind, or any biological system for that matter, as "irreducibly complex", let the alarm bells ring.

It is quite alarming.

Quote:
so please read between the lines.

I just did. Amanda just picked out a few phrases, declared them suspicious and offered no explanations. It filled up some more white space and I imagine kept the overheads down.

She doesn't mention having sex when not on heat which is the sine qua non of sexual selection.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 01:29 pm
Quote:
If common sense were a reliable guide, we wouldn't need science in the first place.

I thought science was fundamentalist common sense. And the first element of common sense is that very few people have any. Certainly not anybody who got married or had kids.
0 Replies