Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:24 am
@aidan,
We had a sit-com years ago where the Olive Oil type put upon wife (I think) would say "It's being so cheerful as keeps me going".

Who wants to hear drear Cohen sing 'Love's the only agent of survival' when you can hear Dylan sing "Love is all there is/ It makes the world go round./ Love and only love, it can't be denied./No matter what you say about it, you won't be able to do without it,/ take a tip from one who tried."

And it sure isn't just for the asking. Or for a fee. It has to be deserved.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:25 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Asking him to interpret a line from a song is not something I would do.

I don't blame you pom. It can be dangerous.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:49 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Even gungasnake and your crazy Oz asslicker, ANUS say some things that are of interest once and awhile.

You mean, by things of interest, I suppose, matters which you feel provide an opportunity for you to hold forth in a professional manner not inconsistent with the mien of your avvie . All you can do with me is hold forth like a gibbering monkey.

My style is derived from quantum mechanics actually. At that level connecting the dots up is far more difficult than in those feechewers in comics we used to get with just a few dozen dots. Painting by numbers employs a similat method. Like geology lecture by lecture.

It's not to everybody's taste I know and if it is not to your's it's okay. I don't mind. And I'm pretty useless at it compared with some I know. There's no need to get shirty about it. But if you feel you must is there any chance of making it a bit less repetitive?
MJA

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:44 am
@spendius,
The flaw in your quantum mechanics,
Is the flaw in all your sciences,
Close really doesn't matter or count.
Unless of course your science is horse shoes, (not to be confused with horse ****)
Or your throwing granades or dice.

=
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:53 am
The word you wanted was grenades . . . one of the foundational principles of the scientific method is falsifiability--not that i expect you to understand that with your nursery school definition of science. If scientific research only comes close, it's no basis for a valid scientific theory, because it can immediately be falsified. You're just making **** up, and you're making it up because of your devotion to a crackpot religious superstition.
MJA

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:03 am
@Setanta,
The word you and science and religion are looking for is Truth.

=
MJA
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:08 am
@MJA,
You wouldn't know truth if you stepped on ****.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:15 am
@MJA,
MJA wrote:

The word you and science and religion are looking for is Truth.

=
MJA

I realize that Truth is the goal of religion or philosophy. Natural science, however, does not have such a transcendant goal. Natural science seeks simply to explain nature in terms of natural phenomena only.

It is false to transfer the transcendant goals of philosophy and religion to natural science.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:19 am
@wandeljw,
wandel, In their attempts to use the same Truth to religion and science, they start from a false premise that will never find a solution. Religion = Faith, and Science = Facts. They will forever remain confused, because Religion can never be based on Facts, nor Science on Faith.
MJA

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:25 am
@wandeljw,
Truth is not the goal of science???

=
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:27 am
@MJA,
No, Facts are. Truth is subjective.
MJA

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Science = facts???

The scientific facts are uncertain at best.
Heisenberg cracked the walls of science,
A crack science has yet to peer through.

Oh and the solution to the equation above is:

=
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:43 am
@MJA,
"Facts" defined.
Quote:
fact
   [fakt] Show IPA
–noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.

and

Quote:
Noun 1. scientific fact - an observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)
observation - facts learned by observing; "he reported his observations to the mayor"

Now, show us how this applies to religion? You lose on just one simple proof called "observation."

What you believe in is a fairy tale; no observation, not confirmed, and all those miracles have not been repeated after the bible was written. You still have not answered my questions on a) world flood, b) virgin birth, c) age of earth, d) all those miracles, and e) all the errors, omissions, and contradictions in the bible.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:09 am
@MJA,
MJA wrote:

@wandeljw,
Truth is not the goal of science???

=

That's what I said.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:26 am
@MJA,
I was talking about style MJ. And its potential effects on the detection instruments which are the brains of those who read my posts. The comparison wasn't meant to be a literal one. Simply an image.

Horseshoes and dice will do in a different, and I think inferior, way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:26 am
@MJA,
Scientists are not so hubristic as to believe that they can find "the Truth" (whether or not you capitalize it). There goal is to approach the realities of the cosmos by piling up replicable, non-falsified data. You know nothing about science and the scientific method.

As for me, you also know nothing about me, so you're in no position to say what i am looking for.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Truth is subjective.

That bears repeating.
spendius

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:29 am
@Setanta,
Truth is subjective.

Will that do?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:30 am
@spendius,
Only if you understand what you are saying.
spendius

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 12:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Language lies. It is too crude an instrument to describe reality a bit like trying to separate out hundreds and thousands into the colours with boxing gloves on in a jerking boat. Those who don't know that will never write a word worth anything.
0 Replies