Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeh, but thats when it really started to get stoked up.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I couldn't take it after about mid way.

Perhaps that's the idea ed. Put you on the sidelines. Just as an ostrich is said to do.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:42 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The phrase "breathtaking inanity" comes to mind. I was listening to this exchange and was amazed at how much of an ignorant dipshit she is. They lowered the background sound level a lot on the clip because after she announced about how teching ID was in the Constitution, the audience began to hoot and laugh. She looked like a deer in the headlights after that.

You're clutching at straws fm.

First you have no response to the quote I gave from Professor Steiner. Which I suppose is understandable.

Then you make four assertions one of which is profoundly ungallant. And you feel the need to inform us that you were "listening to this". Then you claim to be "amazed" which I don't believe for a moment. And you forget that she, unlike you, is running for office. Having ignored Professor Steiner you won't know that the Constitution, as he argues, is written in a language that assumes God exists. I'm okay for claims it isn't but I have read Real Presences and maybe you should prove otherwise before swinging your handbag with expletives added.

And at no point did the lady look remotely like a deer in the headlights which is a simile breaking every literary rule on similies going back to Horace.

You have nothing to say really. And your manner of saying it is woeful.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 01:15 pm
@wandeljw,
There was a youtube link there to commentary from CNN on O'Donnel's alleged constitutional knowledge. She spoke of her "deep analysis and study" of the constitution. Oh my god, i laughed so hard i nearly peed my pants. In-f*cking-credible.
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 01:30 pm
@Setanta,
She possibly feels that she is addressing an audience of a similar intellectual level as Setanta, fm and ed.

There's an alacrity in taking a dart at her which is sadly lacking regarding the Steiner quote.

My advice to Setanta is to do No Ones before eagerly viewing such videos. And I don't believe what he says about nearly weeing in his breeches anyway. I think he's being melodramatic and trying to remind us of his pee-pee.

It sure is a stunning critique to say something is "incredible" that is right there in front of him. She does have a Bachelor of Arts degree in English literature I gather.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 02:19 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

That's 3 of us now quoting from the Bible on an evolution thread - I say we make ourselves scarce before Wandel gets on our case Smile

No problem. My leadership approach to this thread is like the Eisenhower presidency. I am very relaxed about the whole thing. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 02:25 pm
@wandeljw,
Do you play as much golf as Ike did?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 02:55 pm
@Setanta,
To think that Coons had not a snowballs chance in this race until the Teanaggers showed up and intubated the GOP with all their "take back the country" slogans . Now, ODonnell is being displayed to te Delaware upstaters and the University crowd of Newark as a complete moron. The GOP in Delaware is in a bit of a turmoil and it appears that she may be faced with a write-in campaign from Castle.

The GOP has discovered a very important fact. You can either be ideologically pure, or you can win elections, pick one.
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The GOP has discovered a very important fact. You can either be ideologically pure, or you can win elections, pick one.

What a trite and empty thing to say that is. fm must think the backs of our ears are still wet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You can either be ideologically pure, or you can win elections, pick one.

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:14 pm
You know, it cracked me up when she kept saying, "the theory of intelligent design." Somebody get that girl a dictionary, and show her the entry for theory.
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:19 pm
@Setanta,
Think of all the folks who have dictionaries who are not on the News everynight and in the papers. If she hasn't had a dictionary up till now, a B A in Eng Litt, she is probably well advised not to get one at this stage.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:32 pm
@spendius,
Are you speaking of facts or are you giving your opinion? Thanks Reasoning Logic
msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:29 pm
@wandeljw,
(Not living in the US, I checked out Christine O'Donnell online, for more information...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_O%27Donnell#Political_positions
For someone who says she will "base her political actions on the (US) Constitution" she doesn't appear to know all that much about the Constitution, does she?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:12 pm
@msolga,
She knows all she needs to know about the Constitution.
msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:43 pm
@dyslexia,
Well that is a mysterious statement, if ever I heard one, dys!
It could mean so very many things! Wink
msolga

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 12:30 am
@msolga,
(btw, in case any of you might think I imagine myself some sort of expert on the US Constitution, I'm not, of course. I was commenting on her statements & responses in the video clip of the debate, which wandel posted. She was in quite a bit trouble. )
spendius

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 04:00 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Are you speaking of facts or are you giving your opinion? Thanks Reasoning Logic

That's an odd question to ask about this post of mine-

Quote:
Think of all the folks who have dictionaries who are not on the News everynight and in the papers. If she hasn't had a dictionary up till now, a B A in Eng Litt, she is probably well advised not to get one at this stage.

I don't understand your logic when you didn't ask Setanta about this post--

Quote:
You know, it cracked me up when she kept saying, "the theory of intelligent design." Somebody get that girl a dictionary, and show her the entry for theory.

Or this one-

Quote:
. Oh my god, i laughed so hard i nearly peed my pants. In-f*cking-credible.

Or this one of fm's-

Quote:
The phrase "breathtaking inanity" comes to mind. I was listening to this exchange and was amazed at how much of an ignorant dipshit she is. They lowered the background sound level a lot on the clip because after she announced about how teching ID was in the Constitution, the audience began to hoot and laugh. She looked like a deer in the headlights after that.

What point are you making? Do you think the babe has a B.A Degree in Eng. Litt. and no dictionary? Is she on TV every night? Is Setanta on TV? Or fm? Are they envious? Do they know what a theory is.? Do they agree with Bill Whewell that it is a consilience of inductions? Or with Prof Ruse that Darwin's "theory" does not fulfill the necessary conditions to be properly called a theory? Darwin's "theory fails on two separate grounds. It is too limited in its scope and has no predictive capacity. It rules out emotions. It treats only of dead things. It only says "what" and a ghostly "when" with nothing about "how" or "why". And the "where" is not very exact either.

Prof Ruse says that theories are more informal to modern thinkers and should be considered as "sets of theoretical models which are given empirical meaning only inasmuch as they can be applied directly (semantically) to certain limited areas of empirical reality."

One such area being an audience of Tea Party enthusiasts. The modern notion of theory as a description of the way science is performed would see Ms O Donnell's audience as an empirical reality.

What's your point rl?

One anti-IDer couldn't even watch the video.

I have a theory that she was itching to slap Coons' bald pate with a wet fish.

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 04:25 am
@msolga,
Odonnell is like many of the other teabag candidates, like Roux PAul. Theyve embraced simple slogans and havent really spent a lot of time detailing their arguments. In Delaware, for example, ODonnells entire campaign is based upon slanderous statements and pretty much outright lying about her opponent. SHes been "FAct Checked" so often that now shes busy being forced to answer her own accusatory and contradictory and donright ignorant statemenst . Coons, her opponent, on the other hand, can take his leisure at elucidating his plans.

The Constitution questions that relate to the first Amendment were so badly handled by ODonnell that she been left a mean task to try to do damage control in this , the last week of the election. Shes not getting any traction with her accusations on her opponent, instead shes having to try to make herslef sound less stupid than she's come across.
spendius

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 04:39 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Odonnell is like many of the other teabag candidates, like Roux PAul. Theyve embraced simple slogans and havent really spent a lot of time detailing their arguments.

They only have one argument as I understand it from CBS and FOX. It is that these college pin-head swots are just a bunch of rate-busting dry sticks who are ******* everything up thinking that theories are any good where sweaty humans are concerned and that they are all pissing in the same pot anyway and are as corrupt as any Afghan tribal chief. Or hope to be.
0 Replies